RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2019, 07:05 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Inverter killing my coffee maker?

I've gone through 2 ($70) Black and Decker coffee makers in less than 6 months. Is my inverter killing my coffee maker? I seem to remember reading somewhere that may be the case. I've now bought a simple Mr Coffee maker without the timer or digital clock etc. Thanks. Max.

dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #2

May not be the inverter but the RV park power. Many parks have really inconsistent voltage and fluctuating voltage is hard on electronics. Getting a simple coffee maker is likely a wise move. We travel a lot probably 200+ parks/locations in the last 4 years, US and Canada, and have seen some really horrible power on both sides of the border. My GF got me a Bonavita coffee maker. Simple turn it on, brews and no timers. It's 3+ YO and going strong. Nice thing about it is the brewing function works when it has water in it. Once the water is brewed through it, it cuts back the amperage, 10, to about 2 for the heating pad. Quick too.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If it is a modified sine wave inverter it probably is the problem. That's why pure sine wave inverter are preferred. They cost a little more but will not kill your expensive electronics. At least all you have lost is a coffee maker.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #4

Electric equipment with digital controls generally have problems with modified sine wave power.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:01 AM   #5

Expect the 07 Scepter would have a inline protector for low/high and other dastardly bad electric situations coming in from the pole!

Dreamer - I'm assuming your question about the inverter is because you know you made some pots of coffee while not using Shore or Generator Power(?).

I'd take a look at your current inverter to confirm what model you have, then research to see if it is Modified or PSW. If it's Pure Sine Wave, the you should inspect you electric system from Shore Power up to the outlet in question, and confirm all well. I've heard reports of failing GF Outlets in a line, causing problems.

When researching your specific coaches inverter, confirm it has pass thru for shore power.

We also lost two coffee pots, then went to a single coffee pot from Simple Human, which did OK on the Modified Sine Wave unit we had in our coach at that time. After we adde panels and swapped out the Inverter to a Magnum MS2812 PSW, we also returned to a nice coffee pot.

https://www.amazon.com/Technivorm-Mo...-2-spons&psc=1

The above unit has no digital, but I do believe it is happier with PSW. I've talked another coffee geek with a Fiver, who has had the above pot for over 6 years, and brews off of Modified Sine Wave with it about 4-5 times a year.

So if you were losing the pots from running off the inverter, either get a PSW unit - and or get a simpler non digital coffee pot. (But since other Digital items may also be running in your RV, PSW would certainly not hurt them either!

If shopping for a PSW inverter today, I'd probably have gone with the Magnum MSH series, as I like the idea of being able to supplement say a 20 or 30A power supply, with House Battery. Or, if being charged in a park for used power, being able to use the House Batteries for a large percentage of that during the daytime, while our Solar is replenishing our bank. MSH's just provide more flexibility. (And as luck would have it, they came out about 1/2 year after I went with the MS2812!).

Best to you, and enjoy your coffee,
Smitty
Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
I've gone through 2 ($70) Black and Decker coffee makers in less than 6 months. Is my inverter killing my coffee maker? I seem to remember reading somewhere that may be the case. I've now bought a simple Mr Coffee maker without the timer or digital clock etc. Thanks. Max.
Solution - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...SABEgJ81_D_BwE

Under $10 works - fits in the KISS system. I've had the same one for over 20 years

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

B&W coffee makers with a clock or timer won't survive on a modified sine inverter. Most Mr Coffee models will - smarter electronics inside.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #8

I mounted a 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter inside the basement compartment by the steps. Then ran an extension cord through the rig. It powers the tv/DVD and my espresso machine when boondocking. No need to run the genny to watch TV or make espresso. It was fairly inexpensive too.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #9

Despite what has been written above after almost 5 years of Full Timing from Maryland west and to Alaska several times I have never had any issues with Park Power. Nor have I ever had any Electronic device including my laptops and digital Flat Screen TV, microwave etc have any problems.

In fact the key board on most microwaves are the same type of circuit as on your coffee maker and if your microwave is still working it probably is something else.

On the rare occasions that I suspect a problem with an outlet anywhere I use my inexpensive plug in tester which will give you a clear message (in lights) of whether it is wired correctly or has a fualt. You do not need fancy expensive RV specialty testers for this.

Second if you are experiencing this problem ONLY on your coffee maker I would tend to suspect the wiring of that individual outlet and THAT is where I would start.

When I diagnose a problem I start with the SIMPLEST possible event first and work out from there. Too many posts here have jumped very quickly to a big umbrella type of problem/solution.

As for coffee makers that are ideal for RV's and make the BEST coffee...try a French Press...all you have to do is boil water...no filters, no electricity, no coffee machine to clean and break and take up counter space. And it makes superb coffee.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I installed 2 of the space saver B&D coffee makers in my coach. I wanted something that would free up some counter space and be secure while driving. Both of them lasted a short period of time and I gave up. Use the cheapest/simplest coffee maker I could find and it's lasted years.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #11

A pure sine wave inverter has a very clean sign wave think of it as a circle while a MSW looks like an almost flat tire only it would be partially flat on top and bottom.
This would make for a very uncomfortable ride.

Another way to see the problem read the output of a MSW inverter with a cheap digital meter and it will show 80 to 95 VAC. An expensive digital meter with RMS correction will read around 120VAC.

Same thing with your electronic equipment some devices just can't handle the chopped off sine wave (MSW) and eventually self destruct.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #12

Our Keurig coffee maker has been on board for six years now. Usually on park power, but sometimes on the MSW inverter. No problems. We also have a $15 5 cup unit that has also worked just fine.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #13

Modified Sine wave Inverters are known to have issues with computers, but I would not think they would bother coffee makers?
Old 04-25-2019, 09:54 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Stove top percolator.... when dry/no hook ups.....works every time and no need to run down your batteries or disturbing the neighbors at 5am.with running the generator.

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter