Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Inverter modification

I'm not sure this is the proper location for this post, it could be here or in the RV technologies section or the Winnebago section. I'll let the mods move it to where they see fit.
The inverter in our 2005 Aspect powers only the TV outlet. This seems like a waste to me as we seldom watch TV anyway, and almost never when we boondock. We're more "internet centric" than "TV centric".
Anyway I would like to add a receptacle to the kitchen area cabinet, which would allow us to use this outlet for kitchen appliances, coffeemaker, crockpot, etc. I would not remove the TV outlet inverter capability, but rather just add an additional outlet.
Now, I don't know what wattage my inverter is off the top of my head, but can find out. I may consider replacing it if it is too small to handle small appliances. I'm thinking a 1500-2000 inverter would be needed?
Has anyone ever added an additional outlet? Is this a no-no for safety reasons? I'm not sure why Winnebago didn't add the capability for the kitchen, seems like a no-brainer to me.
Any thoughts appreciated.

EDIT: I just checked, the current inverter is 300 watt.

Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Odds are an inverter intended only for entertainment systems is small, maybe 300-500 watts. For coffee pot or microwave you will need 1000-1500 watts plus sufficient batteries to power it. A power draw of 1000 watts takes a lot of juice from the batteries, about 90 amps continuous. Consider that one 12v deep cycle battery has a total max capacity of about 85-100 amp-hours (depending on battery size) and much less than that if the amp rate is high, so you need at least a couple batteries to supply power for galley use. Do you have two house batteries or one? What size (group size or amp-hour rating)? The standard house battery for a 2005 Aspect was a single, group 24 battery, which wouldn't supply 90 amps for more than several minutes before the voltage dropped too low for use.

Winnebago could have included a big inverter as standard equipment, but it's just another expense item that many people don't need. The small inverter to power the tv meets most people's needs. A 1000 watt inverter is offered as an option in the Aspect, but perhaps yours did not have that extra.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #3

I don't think 300 watts will power a coffee pot.

It sounds to me like you're in a good position to add a second 1500 watt inverter to you kitchen outlets.

This would allow you to turn which ever inverter you want at the time in which you want it.
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, that 300w inverter is only good for the TV or other small low wattage 120v items. Might as well leave it there and add another for the kitchen (1500+w). As already suggested, you will need some serious battery power if you plan on using those high wattage items for any length of time. Such as a crock pot for 5 hours. Otherwise, you you might as well run the genny. I would recommend four GC2s which would give you about 475 AH....six would be better at about 700 AH.
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Get an inverter in the 1500 to 2000 watt size, and with a passover switch (or install a manual switch), so the inverter can be wired to the electrical panel to provide power to the entire rig no matter the source of the power being battery, shore, or generator.

It's a very easy switch over for most anyone with basic electrical skills.

Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Use a gfci if adding to kitchen. Hard wire using a #12 cable.
1999 National Dolphin
1995 Range Rover County SWB.
Sailor, Dickens, Zooki, Koko.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the speedy replies. Our Aspect has two good sized Interstate batteries, not sure what the amp-hour rating is. I'm going down to work on it today so I'll check it out. I do know we spent 3 days boondocking last summer and the batteries lasted about 2 1/2 days before I had to recharge with the generator. The batteries are about 3 years old, they were replaced about a year before we bought it.
I think adding a second inverter makes the most sense. Is there any particular type and/or brand I should consider?
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an 3000w inverter wired to a 30a RV jack - to use just plug the ground power cord into the jack - the entire coach is then powered. One has to of course manage what is being powered, such as changing the refrig over to LP.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the OP.. I run into Gary, the RV roamer all over the place and as is often the case... he has given he has given very good advice.

The small TV inverter will not power much in the kitchen beyond perhaps a can opener, electric knife, or stick blender.. a coffee maker, even a single cup job like I use, is beyond it's ability.

A 1500 watt True Sine wave unit can power the Microwave or a coouple of smaller devices.. Mine is a 2,000 watt and also does the TV.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote