RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

Inverter Replacement

My Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter was acting up giving me a fault light on the panel and an overtemp light on the unit. Xantrex Support had me do a hard reboot and the inverter smoked when starting up again. Previous owner installed a residential fridge, so I think I should replace with a larger unit plus one with a pure sine wave. Is there a preferable choice of manufacturer? I don't know much about them.

siredwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #2

Victron gets my vote.
https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers

Old 11-21-2019, 09:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by siredwin View Post
My Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter was acting up giving me a fault light on the panel and an overtemp light on the unit. Xantrex Support had me do a hard reboot and the inverter smoked when starting up again. Previous owner installed a residential fridge, so I think I should replace with a larger unit plus one with a pure sine wave. Is there a preferable choice of manufacturer? I don't know much about them.
I personally would replace it with a unit that is similar in physical size. If it's dramatically a different design, you may have issues with the existing cable lengths.

I would go with a PSW inverter as well. There are several good mfg's and there's nothing wrong with the Xantrex brand. Magnum is another good one.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #4

A resedental fridge draws about 2 amps. You don't need a larger inverter for that.

Pure Sine wave is a good upgrade.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you do go with a larger inverter you may have to upgrade the wire gauge to support the higher amps. I agree with Twinboat as to current size, a new refrigerator doesn't draw that much but PSW would be beneficial.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by siredwin View Post
Iv been using Magnum Ms series 2812 and love it. Easy to use and simple to program. Maybe you should check out the programming for shore power setting 20-30 or 50 amp. Then the charge rate and battery type.
I never run my charge rate above 90 % normal for me is 80% charge rate.
You should also have your batteries tested , possible a couple of bad cells which can be the cause of over heating.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I haven't had to replace one yet so can't advise you on that! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Unless you had the little Model 10 (1000W), you don't need a large inverter than the 458 - a residential fridge doesn't draw a lot of power (watts) nor does it run 24 hours/day. Most 458's are the Model 20 or 25. Besides, a larger (higher wattage) inverter is pointless without a larger battery bank to feed it and larger gauge wiring to the batteries.

PSW, on the other hand, is a wise upgrade. It helps the fridge compressor run more efficiently and avoids potential damage to other electronics.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I haven't had to replace one yet so can't advise you on that!
I don't come here often but I am curious as to why you post so many posts while telling people you can't help them.

Doesn't such bad news only make the situation worse?
Don Juane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Juane View Post
I don't come here often but I am curious as to why you post so many posts while telling people you can't help them.

Just a way of welcoming a fairly new member to the forum and letting them know they are welcome on the forum but unfortunately you have nothing to contribute on this particular trouble they are having.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Juane View Post

Do yourself a favor and put him on you ignore list if he upsets you.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:51 AM   #12

go to the refrigerator and see how many max amps it can consume. ours has a label on it that says it can draw 8.5 amps. i agree that this would not be continuous but if all the cycles and features were to align this is the max it would draw. once you know this then size the inverter accordingly. once you know the inverter size you can size the cables from it to the battery.

also, determine if your existing inverter has an internal transfer switch it in or it it uses an external transfer switch. you probably want to replace accordingly.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:55 AM   #13

Inverter Replacement

Thanks to all for your comments and advice. MSHappyCampers included. I decided to stay with a 2000W unit and replace the 458 with a Magnum SW 2012. Thanks again.
siredwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #14

Keep writing Joe, I'll keep reading. I have had much positive insight from Joe.

Tags
ace, inverter, replace, replacement