Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

iPad apps for RV's

As mentioned before we recently took delivery of a 2000 Monaco Diplomat. In trying to be as complete as possible in preparing for trips, arriving and departing destination, etc I started to write checklists.

Last night I happened upon an iPad/iPhone app called RV Check. App is written by a fellow RV'er and while still being amplified in functionality Believe it is a great .99 purchase. Will eliminate a lot of paper. Check lists can be grouped in major categories, edited, and re-ordered to fit individual needs.

Also downloaded three other apps for iPad/iPhone
1. GPS Drive HD from Motion X - Appears that it will satisfy my need for a large format GPS and reduce number of gadgets I need to carry. Latest version includes traffic incident reporting on screen
2. iExit - This supplements the GPS Drive by providing more detailed info on exits and services located near exits. I have old copy of iExit book and this seems to provide all the printed functionality. Includes height restriction information if you request in Favorites
3. NavPad - Great small where am I app. Speed, clock, GPS coordinates, altitude, compass and Google Earth maps with GPS location.

Cellular or data connection required for all three apps, so there is more cost than the app itself.

Suggest iPad/iPhone be connected to 12 VDC with appropriate Apple power supply while using these apps as Location Services draw significant power during their use.

I plan to add RAM mount to center console and install iPad where we both can see.

Look forward to hearing what others think of these apps.
cpat39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the tip. I will be looking those up.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't think I would be able to pry the iPad out o DW's lap, but then she is the secondary navigator, along with HER iPad, and she keeps the TomTom honest.

I'll look into iExit and NavPad.

I wish the RVer's Notebook, based on MS Access, would be adapted to run on a MAC. It is a great program.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I don't think I would be able to pry the iPad out o DW's lap, but then she is the secondary navigator, along with HER iPad, and she keeps the TomTom honest.

I'll look into iExit and NavPad.

I wish the RVer's Notebook, based on MS Access, would be adapted to run on a MAC. It is a great program.

Happy trails.
Have you thought about running Windows on your MAC? I installed XP on my MAC to run a couple PC programs I like. Chose XP because it require the least amount of HDD space. Partitioned 32 GB for Bootcamp.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dennis,
I'm giving that some thought, as I would like to run MS S&T on the MAC. I just need a cheap XP disk. They should be coming down in price.

Not to hijack the thread. Also consider, for the iPad, the RV Companion. There may be some items in there you can use. The one big bonus to it is the leveling software that it has. Click on "more" and choose "Level." It is a bi-directional level that tells you how many inches you need to level, front to back, and side to side. it also works on the iPhone.

Happy trails.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey, great to see other Apple users! I also installed Gas Buddy and the Pilot Service Centers apps. I also like RV Check. DW stole my iPad so I had to buy the iPad 2.
RicMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #7

Has anyone used Allstays Camp & RV app. I haven't downloaded it yet, but it looks like it would be helpful.
Salley9024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh! Also, Passport America has an App.

If I could steal the iPad for a few minutes I could tell ya'll what's on it. Sheeesh!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I like MS Streets and Trips for routing, but no matter how I set speed in the program I can't get my RV to match the speeds S&T shows and I drive 65. I finally gave in and bought the new Rand McNally RVND 5510.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Brookstone sells an iPad stand that I secured on the dash...works great
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:09 AM   #11

The Allstays Camp and RV app is awesome, highly reccomen it.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #12

iPad apps for RV

Thanks to all that commented. And to those that commented on Allstays RV & Camp a double thank you. Very nice app to round out the field.

For those of you that mentioned Streets & Trips I have used that for years for trip planning. I am a MAC user and have installed VMWare Fusion with XP Pro on the MAC to run Windows and DOS applications. While you can install Windows 7 on Fusion my experience is it does not run DOS programs well.

Yes, there all still some out there running DOS based programs. I am one of those die hards.

Happy motorhoming.

Pat
cpat39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Which version of Streets and Trips are you using? I have used S&T forever but the latest version does not give enough control over speeds. I find it has me going further in a day than I can go at 65 mph. My version has a slider for speed control, while the earlier versions allowed to input your average driving speed.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know this is redundant, but I often hover through the threads and don't respond because it has already been said, or I'm just so busy learning from you all.

However, for what it is worth, I'd give an enthusiastic thumbs up to RV Check, Allstays and iExit. If you enjoy using the government parks (state, county, BOM, National Parks, etc.), then I recommend the free app (or it was at the time) Oh Ranger! Park Finder.

... and, as we all know, you just cannot travel without iRV2 Forum
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs