Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Iris System by Lowes

Anyone using the Iris System from Lowes? I want something to monitor home temperature for the winter while away. The reviews sound a little mixed on it. Sounds like for $12 a month I could do this from my phone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #2

I think I would use something like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Control-Produc.../dp/B000071NYC Not the cheapest on the market, but it has the features I would want.

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
I think I would use something like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Control-Produc.../dp/B000071NYC Not the cheapest on the market, but it has the features I would want.
I guess I should have mentioned , Don't have a land-line phone anymore.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your interest is the interior temperature and you have internet, get a Honeywell thermostat that con be controlled over the internet. There are apps for IOS as well as a browser interface. You have complete control of heating and cooling and on mine, can set the temps to lower at night. The app displays the temperature setting as well as the actual temperature. As well, you can set it up to email you if temperatures inside exceed high and low thresholds you have specified. Big advantage to a traveler is to be able to warm up or cool down the house before you return.

Bob
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Some (older) systems may only have a 4 wire lead from furnace to thermostat. That's what I have, and I found it would be extremely difficult to use the Honeywell internet capable thermostat with my system. l wanted the ability to use internet, but the thermostat either required a 5 wire lead or some wiring changes at the furnace I didn't feel comfortable performing. You might want to check your wiring and the thermostat wiring needs before buying.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #6

What is the goal you are trying to achieve? Lights can be on cheap timers. Without a landline, you don't have alarm monitoring so you just need some form of backup if the heat goes out?

There is a great gadget called Winter Watchman that plugs into a lamp that will turn the light on if the temp drops below a preset temp. If you have good neighbors, they can look for the light inside each night.

Just a thought. Work well as long as the power is on.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #7

I am considering the Honeywell wifi thermostat. Two points: It appears it will also text you about low/high temps (better than email IMHO) and a plugin 24V could supply power if you only have 4 wires.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Thanks everyone I think the Honeywell wifi thermostat is exactly what I was thinking about looking for. Sounds like no monthly charge and I will be able to view and or change setting while on other side of country.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have ADT @ the S&B and plan on asking what the cost will be to use there system to monitor the house for heat. I plan on shutting the water off to the house so no worries of water problems.
Has anyone done this?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #10

I have the honeywell in my house. It is great. We live in AZ and when we go to the lake, we put it on energy save (button on the front). Then before we leave the lake, my wife will just set the temp to normal and when we get home, the house is cool again. When we go out of town, or just leave for the day, we can change the temp from the road if we forget to adjust.

I installed it myself. I did have to go up into the attic and connect a spare wire that was already in the line to a power wire up there - that way the thermostat could have that extra leg it needed. I can't remember why it needed that extra leg. My memory tells me it was so the fan could operate without the AC being on, or something like that. If I remember right, the directions were good, but I think I watched a youtube video on installing it too with the info for the extra wire. It took all of 20 minutes for all of the connections. I have had it for a few years now and highly recommend it.

You will need a wifi source for it at your house if you want to connect to it with your phone. We have never had any issues with it connecting, once we got it setup the first time - it has to connect to your phone first via bluetooth (if I remember right), then you set it up with your router/wifi. I think it gives you a code to your phone when you first connect it, then you go to a website if I remember correctly and set it up to the internet. That took another 10 minutes to setup.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
You might want to check the Smart Things website. They have hub you connect into your router. You can then use any product that is compatible to control and monitor temps, lock doors, switch lights, etc.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcruzer1 View Post
I am considering the Honeywell wifi thermostat. Two points: It appears it will also text you about low/high temps (better than email IMHO) and a plugin 24V could supply power if you only have 4 wires.
Honeywell states an external 24VAC plugin transformer can only be used with a 2 wire, furnace only installation. A common 4 wire installation requires a 5th wire be added or an easy wiring change which renders the fan switch inoperative.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I installed the Honeywell wifi thermostat. Only had 4 wires so I had to do the jumper wire thing they describe. I lose ability to turn on fan only but I always leave it in auto anyway. I can see my home temp and adjust things from anywhere with my phone. No monthly fee , just what I wanted.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by what next View Post
I installed the Honeywell wifi thermostat. Only had 4 wires so I had to do the jumper wire thing they describe. I lose ability to turn on fan only but I always leave it in auto anyway. I can see my home temp and adjust things from anywhere with my phone. No monthly fee , just what I wanted.
What Next:

Congratulations! Glad you solved the problem. Next thing you need is one or more wireless D-Link Network/Cloud cameras so you can check the house and property over the internet/phone with their app wherever you are. Bet you didn't know you needed these !!!

bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote