Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2019, 06:17 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Glad you made it home safely! Us old folks couldn't make that trip in one day!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #16

Done many 1000+ mile trips from Northern Ontario to Quebec . Mostly 2 lane road and a 55 mph speed limit. Makes for a real long day. Never traveled that far in my motorhome though.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #17

My longest day was from Kalispell, MT to La Crosse WI at ~1400 miles and < 24 hours in a Chevy G20 conversion van while tent camping (DW, three teenagers and a dog - it was a cozy group in the van w/ camping gear). Had planned to overnight in SD but we got caught in the middle of a large "U" shape thunderstorm w/ tornado warnings with the only clearing to the east on I90. Took six hours to out run the storm, I was much younger and foolish then and would never do it today.
'12 Winnebago Via 25T, stock except: HWH Levelers, NovaKool RFU68000 12V Fridge,Group 31 AGM Coach Batteries, PM4 55A 55 Amp Converter, PI EMS-HW30C Surge Protector, Michelin Agilis CrossClimate Tires, TST Internal TPMS, Borg Stems, Sumo Springs
HISSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:16 AM   #18

1100 miles in one day is about 4 times too much in one day for us. However if like you I had a real need, I’d try it, but after 350 both my body and DW would be whining and rightfully so.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Only time I ever did anything like that was back in 1972.
US Naval Station San Diego CA to Casper WY and BACK over a weekend.

Had 3 day pass---asked a buddy if he had ever been to WY.
Loaded up the '71 Mustang Coupe and hit the road

Left the Base at 5PM Friday Night...........16 hrs/1135 miles....got there 9AM Saturday
Looked up friends/partied
Left Sunday 2PM and got back for 'Roll Call' 7AM Monday

Young, dumb and invincible

omg we did some crazy stuff early in our military careers.
did jacksonville to dallas in 18 hrs, crazy..turned around sunday and drove back..missed monday muster
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
omg we did some crazy stuff early in our military careers.
did jacksonville to dallas in 18 hrs, crazy..turned around sunday and drove back..missed monday muster
Melbourne Fl to Cornish NH 18 hrs. One 18 yr old to help with driving. She did a great job with spelling me every 4 hrs. Would never do that again. It was a nessasary trip. [emoji27][emoji27][emoji27][emoji508][emoji508][emoji508]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Notice you did 1,100 miles in 20.5 hours. That's about 53 miles for every hour you were in the drivers seat. We have 37,146 miles and 735.3 hours on the engine. That's 50.5 miles for every hour I'm in the drivers seat.

You averaged a little more because you were on a mission.

Most every RV will average very close to 50 miles distance for every hour in the seat. That's an easy way to determine how long it will take to get from point A to point B.

Just an interesting observation for those that might not realize it.

We don't drive 50 MPH but don't speed either. We usually travel between 63 and 65 MPH.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:45 AM   #22

The most I've ever driven was 1,264 miles in one day from Oklahoma City to Palm Springs, CA. and that was in a car. The trip originated in TN.

It was back in 1996, we had bought a newer second home in PS and wanted to take a car out from TN to leave it there. In the past we just rented cars. And now that we were retired, we knew that we would spend more time there.

Well, in the summer going west, because of the time changes, you gain two hours so the sun stayed up longer and we just kept going.

I will never do that again! I think it took us 19 hrs with minimal stops. Actual driving time was 21 hours because of the time changes. At the time, the interstate speeds for NM and AZ was 75 mph, 70 in OK and TX.

I don't think we have ever driven more that 400 miles in one day in the motorhome. Our normal is 300 or less.

But in many cases, people do what they have to do!

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That is a long drive

Yes that is a long drive. I have done it when I was in my 20’s. Wouldn’t attempt it now.
Now we do fairly regular 600 mile trips and it wears me down. I prefer 300 or perhaps 400 maximum.
Long trips in the car aren’t much of an issue, in the MH different story. Car averages at least 10 mph faster over the day. In and out of places easier.

We do what we have to, when we have to, so congratulations on getting home safely and on time.

Terry & Pat

One more week till the new to us coach arrives.
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #24

I thought I had a long couple of days when I drove 1550 miles in 48 hours alone. 3-1/2 hours the first evening, when I took delivery on the unit, than starting out at 6 am for the next two days, sleeping in state welcome centers over night when I was getting too tired.

About 14 hours driving each day, but to be honest, I really wasn't that tired of beat up feeling. The chair like seating of the MB Sprinter is better than the more laid out seating of a car or SUV. More like a truck, and I never got fatigued driving trucks. Of course, I was many decades younger then, but that's not relevant.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
A few weeks ago, I took my coach to Elkhart for some repairs. One repair turned into a system replacement. ( the DW had stayed home since it was a short Repair only trip ) I didn’t want to hang around staying hotels. I took the toad pickup and headed home. Drove 870 miles that one day...........STUPID.....STUPID !! What was a I [emoji848]? I had no urgent need,
.The Nissan Frontier has big noisy tires, rides rough...I am 73 with arthritis. I am still recovering!
Old 09-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
1100 miles in one day.....no way for us. That is a 4 day trip, driving time with 2 night stops each day... so 7 or 8 days. I am retired and take it easy.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymat View Post
Hello!

I have been lurking these forums for some time but finally decided to register to join in on the fun!

Long story as short as I can make it: My wife and considered going full-time without ever having owned a coach when I was struggling to find work a while back. We researched for a couple years what to buy etc. Fortunately, I found gainful employment to help us get closer to retirement age but alas, the RV seed was firmly planted. We pulled the trigger on a well maintained 2015 Newmar Ventana last December to make sure full-timing would be something we really wanted to do.

So, about the title- we initially ventured further and further out as we gained confidence in the coach and ourselves. The further out (and longer) we went, the need for a 4 wheeler became obvious. Rather than fit a toad with all the necessities, we decided an enclosed trailer would give us the option to take different cars depending on the destination and need.

Stick with me- the trailer we chose is manufactured in Napanee IN and they wanted more than fuel cost to deliver it to the Denver area. Moreover, Napanee just happens to be where Newmar is built. Road Trip!

I'm getting there- so, we planned 2 days travel there (Denver to Napanee), one day to tour the Newmar plant and pick up the trailer with 2 days return. 550-ish miles per day seemed reasonable to me...

Where it went wrong- all was going according to plan except for the Lake Michigan sized pot hole I hit in Illinois (quick evasive maneuvers don't seem possible in a DP) The impact knocked out the alignment to the point the steering wheel was at 11:00. Not wanting to risk ruining the big bucks front tires, the wonderful folks at Newmar found me an alignment shop. The only problem was staying an extra day to get it aligned. We needed to hold to the schedule because I had to be back to work. Remember the job I found that delayed full-timing? We now had just a day to return home.

The 1100 mile day- with the fresh alignment done, we set out at 4:00am ET and drove straight though only stopping for fuel once and a brief pit-stop for the pup and your's truly (and a detour to return a cell phone found at a rest stop- but that's another story). We arrived home at 10:30pm MT. That's 20.5 hours and 1100 miles later. It was a surprisingly easy trip...

So far, we're really enjoy this RVing thing! Thanks for reading!
To answer the question - Yup - 1,100 miles is a lot - with 2 other drivers we did Annapolis to Moab 2,100 miles in 30 hours straight, but we traded off every three or four hours - that was twenty years ago - still almost young and certainly Crazy.

Hopefully you will be able to slow down and enjoy this RV thing. - -

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shucks, I can do 1100 miles in a few minutes using Google Maps.

My longest was from P'Cola to Mayport, FL, about 400 miles. Never, ever again. I do 250 give or take 50 - and that is all I'm going to say about that!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote