Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #29

Thank you all for your feedback! Great stories!

The best I’ve ever done is the Kessle Run in under 12- no wait, that was Han Solo…

Seriously, the only other 2 times I’ve done such a long trip is from Bowling Green KY to home in Denver (about 1150 miles) but in several hours less time (I’m not telling!). We did those trips in a 2002 Corvette in one stint only stopping 2 or 3 times. The Vette is comfortable and easy to drive and got an amazing 33MPG on those trips.

As TeJay astutely pointed out, we averaged 53MPH on this run in the coach. I had the cruise set at 65 but with our few stops, some city traffic, hills and the lost cell phone detour, I thought 53MPH overall was not too bad. The comfort of the coach is entirely different than the Vette but it is easy to drive now that I’m used to it.

In contrast, however, our recent trip home from Salt Lake City seemed endless at only 500 miles. I look forward to retirement where I hope to be “rich in time” and don’t need to be anywhere by any time!
brymat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome and a sit here in amazement.
300 miles is max for us. I my youth I could do 700 miles but that was it
My hat is off to you
Continue to enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:27 PM   #31

That sure makes for a long day but it’s certainly doable. I travel East from Colorado to Pennsylvania or East Tennessee and I always do it in two days. Thats about 850 - 1000 miles per day. A couple of weeks ago I drove from central PA to home in southwest Colorado. It took a 16 hour day followed by a 17 hour day. I was going to make it 3 days but a friend was near death and we needed to get back asap. Plus, it’s easier to travel with the kiddos 2 days in the motorhome rather than 3.

I’m 61 and my wife doesn’t drive the motorhome so I just enjoy the drive!
Prontix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:09 AM   #32

I leave Vancouver, Wash at 7am on Saturday, am sitting in Quartzsite, Arizona by 4pm on Sunday.....1244....have done it every year for the last 5 years.......just last week, left home on the 2nd and was sitting here in Helen, Georgia on the 8th and spent 2 nights in Rock Springs, Wy......2466....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:20 AM   #33

Did 1100 miles in 22 hours on a motorcycle once. I was in my mid-20's and the guy that did it with me was over 70! Honestly, it wasn't that bad.

In the motorhome, we will usually start and end our trips with a few days in a row of 500 miles each. Once in awhile we go to about 650. Our comfort spot would be 400, but that doesn't move us along fast enough for the time we have.

I turn 50 in a few months and am noticing my willingness to do the above is changing. It will be nice when we can cap it at 300 miles! When we can, we will!
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #34

If you drove 1100 miles in 20.5 hours with 3 stops I'm quite impressed as that's 54 mph average. We go by the 330 rule 330 miles or park by 3:30pm. Typically with pit stops usually 3-4 now a days. 330 miles takes us just at 6.5-7 hours and that's running 60 mph. I could do it about 40 years ago but the bladder and muscles aren't what that used to be.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #35

Nope

Nope I do it all the time.
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
I have done 1,000 miles in a day with a car. The furthest in my DP is 600 miles and I felt that was pushing it. I try to stick to 8 hours or 300 miles, whichever comes first when driving my rig.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrcurtis View Post
We go by the 330 rule 330 miles or park by 3:30pm. <snip> I could do it about 40 years ago but the bladder and muscles aren't what that used to be.
I’m right there with you! Stopped in time for a nap and then a relaxing dinner :-) We did 600+ a day when before we retired, but not by choice.

Like ending a flying career, it’s important to recognize our limitations and adjust before something bad happens. It’s different for everyone.
ggimlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #38

"So far, we're really enjoy this RVing thing! Thanks for reading!"

You'll stop enjoying it if you keep doing drives like this. An important part of RVing for us is stopping along the way to see different things. 250 miles a day is our average pace, though our shortest day was 12 miles.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #39
tcg

A couple years ago I did 1400 miles in 21 and change. I was the only driver but we were on a mission to get a friend's daughter in law and grandson to see him before he died.

Amazing what you can do when you have to.

About 30 years ago the wife and I did 36 hours with our 7 year old. That was because vacation time was short and we were meeting up with a good friend. Once we got to our destination our friend arranged a brand new 5th wheel for us to stay in.

Fast forward to this summer, we took 2 days to go 210 miles because we can. It's why we bought the RV.

I've done some 12 hour trips in the last few years in a car but I really am too old for that crap.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #40

Several years ago I hauled a friend's TT up to Alaska. Drove nonstop except for fuel (truck and me) from Winnepeg to Whitehorse in 35 hours. Distance is about 2100 miles, mainly over 2 lane road. Overnighted in Whitehorse then drove the short haul to Anchorage (790 miles). One advantage on the Alaska trip, I used to live in Anchorage and made maybe a dozen trips on the same route. At the time, I was living in Superior, WI, so the first day's drive to Winnepeg was easy. The friend paid for fuel, meals and $500 to deliver the TT.

For the past 2 years I've driven from southern GA to Flagstaff and back (roughly 1900 miles) in 31 hours hauling our TT. Much easier drive than the Alaska trip since it was over the Interstate system. Probably won't do it next summer as it's becoming a bore. Instead we will go for a few short runs, southern GA to International Falls, MN, then IF to Devil's Tower, WY and on to central WA. Figure that will be maybe 4 days of driving.

I'm 68 and have always just gotten into the truck or car and drive until I get to where I want to get to. Always figured why waste time getting from point A to B. More time at point B.
xyzabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #41

You probably won't want to try that again.
In 2008, at the age of 63, in the middle of our one year quest to find the best fulltime, long lasting fifth wheel, to start "chasin our dream fulltime", we left Grand Rapids, MI to go to the Good Sam Rally in Perry GA to look at the new 2008 New Horizons rvs. We ended up travelling 700 miles the first day in a Chevy diesel dually with a large Lance truck camper. We were trying to outrun a massive snow storm moving across the Midwest. We misjudged & hit the storm at the northern Indiana border & it just got worse from there. Broadcasts were saying 20-25 inches of snow coming, so we continued racing south on I75. By the time we got to the southern Indiana border the snow was already 10-12" deep & all trucks were parked in rest areas. We eventually got into 15"+ & the truck was plowing snow if I got out of a lane. The snow was so heavy, I couldn't see very far ahead & couldn't tell where the edge of the road was. I was temped to stop, but the rest areas had huge drifts around the parked trucks & I could see that if I stopped, I would never get started again even with my 4 wheel drive. We saw numerous spin outs in front of us, one where the car in front of us spun out on a long bridge & bounced off both bridge rails. I was able to raise my speed as we approached numerous hills & was just barely able to make some of them while driving around numerous cars & trucks stalled or sliding backwards on the hills. After 13 hours of non-stop, horribly stressful driving (much of it during the night), we finally got past the worst of it & there was only a couple of inches on the ground. We pulled into a Walmart & collapsed into bed. I inherited my love of driving/travelling from my Grandfather, but this trip thoroughly tested that love. I'll never try that again. We've gone on to 10 wonderful years of fulltiming & still counting. Been to every state more than once & Alaska twice. Oh, and we ordered a New Horizons fifth wheel on that trip & it was a great choice.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your butt must be lots tougher than mine! After about 500 miles mine wants a rest!