RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
We did Worcester MA to Key West nonstop in 32 hrs. Our Phaeton had engine issues so we were a week late leaving. We had already lost 3 days of our reservation at Blue water Key. Phaeton was done at noon on Saturday, we checked in about 6pm Sunday to see the sunset. We were mid 40s then, don't think we could that again. We still do the 1000 mile day periodically. As I type this, wife currently driving, we left Hartford Cabela's at 6am should be just north of Hardeesville SC by midnight.

XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #58

Is 1100 miles in one day a lot?

Did 800 this past summer never again

northernburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
Ugh, we did 751 miles in one day about 2 years ago. I hope to never do it again. You sir, have earned your steel buns award.

The "pup" gets my award for bladder control. The owner not so much. We stop every 150 to 200 miles for our little pet.
chertman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #60

Necessity is the mother of getting it done or when ya gotta ya gotta!

As the hours tick lower the speed and when ever you stop wash your face with cold water, splash your eyes well with ice cold water specially after the first 8 to 10 hrs of driving. Make sure are attentive enough and awake enough if not better to be late than not be there at all.

Gotta say though solo driving long hours really bite, better when its a team of two or more. When the kids got old enough to drive our trips were a blast with every one taking a turn at the wheel.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #61

Pensacola, Fl. to Los Angels Ca.(Disneyland 1970) 31 hrs. Dodge Travco (27ft.) motorhome 440 Dodge V-8 . Would pass everything on the road except a gas station. Glad my Dad helped with the driving. Only bad thing that happened was at a full service gas station, (motorhome were rare to see back then) attendant filled up water tank with gas by mistake . Boy was that a mess, we just poked a hole in the tank and let it drain out into buckets. And gave it to gas station man. When we arrived in California we found a temporary tank.This MH was brand new when we left Al. (35 miles).
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #62

I did a 5 day trip from Va Beach to Portland, Or in 5 days (600/day).

Prob wouldn’t do it again that way. Not much fun.
jerryc1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:18 PM   #63

What did you do the other 3 1/2 hours, stop and site see.
I did 1,320 miles three different times in the last 10 years in 24 1/2 hours still haven’t remembered why I did that.
Jons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #64

Wife and I covered 2 900+mi days from AZ to MI. We traded every 2 hours to keep driver fresh. Wife complained she always had the duty of pulling into the fuel station at the end of her driving stretch. I told her I had no trouble during my drive, must be her lead foot.
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:05 AM   #65

I used to do a lot of long distance touring on my FLTC Harley. Once had a 900 mile day. Too much, was really tired. Is not a safe practice
MoMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:11 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Only time I ever did anything like that was back in 1972.
US Naval Station San Diego CA to Casper WY and BACK over a weekend.

Had 3 day pass---asked a buddy if he had ever been to WY.
Loaded up the '71 Mustang Coupe and hit the road

Left the Base at 5PM Friday Night...........16 hrs/1135 miles....got there 9AM Saturday
Looked up friends/partied
Left Sunday 2PM and got back for 'Roll Call' 7AM Monday

Young, dumb and invincible
OB
WOW, that brings back memories! When in Port I was stationed at North Island (Constellation) your trip wasn’t unusual back in the day! I knew plenty of guys that did trips like that on a weekend, San Diego to Seattle Wa. and be back for roll call on Monday morning�� of course you can do it at that age, something to be said for young dumb and full of you know what... to be young again lol
USS CONSTELLATION CVA64 72-74
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:26 AM   #67

Triple E Owners Club
Is 1100 miles in one day too long

Naaaaaaaah.

But please let me know which route you’d be taking so I could avoid it. 1100 miles is 19 hours @ 60 mph.

Wearing a leg bag?

Cheers 🤫

DJ
Old 09-20-2019, 01:24 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Only time I ever did anything like that was back in 1972.
US Naval Station San Diego CA to Casper WY and BACK over a weekend.

Had 3 day pass---asked a buddy if he had ever been to WY.
Loaded up the '71 Mustang Coupe and hit the road

Left the Base at 5PM Friday Night...........16 hrs/1135 miles....got there 9AM Saturday
Looked up friends/partied
Left Sunday 2PM and got back for 'Roll Call' 7AM Monday

Young, dumb and invincible

Your tale sounds remarkably like mine. In 1971 I left Long Beach Naval Base in my '67 Mustang fastback and drove to Portland, OR to drop off a shipmate. I then headed east to Chicago to see my girlfriend. 3,111 miles in 63 hours! Got stopped for 100 mph+ in Montana but got off with a warning (no speed limit there at that time).

SkyDriver, USS Waddell DDG24
SkyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:32 AM   #69

The long haul

I drove our DP straight through from Mansfield, Ohio to Brooksville, Florida last year with stops along the way for fuel and occasional short naps and made it in 24 hours (just wanted to get home due to hearing we had a lot of rain at home). I've done it in our Suburban but found it was much easier in the DP (more comfort). Normally we prefer to travel around 400 miles a day which means 3 days for the same 1200 mile trip but I understand when the chips are down its time to play.
dniebel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:51 AM   #70

Grrr the pothole bummer. Glad you made it safely and I agree "buns of steel award to you and yours". I would hope once you retire (and may you successfully accomplish that) the relaxation part of the R in RV be in full bloom. Happy you are employed and have a nice RV.

Cheers

Earl Camper is offline   Reply With Quote