Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #85

When I was young and dumb I did 1800 miles nonstop except for bathroom breaks and fuel. 32 hours straight. Last year we did 850 in a day and don't want to do it again.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #86

I drove 1050 miles straight which was to much. I try to stick to under 600.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #87
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I drove to my dad's house, Los Angeles to Dayton Washington (1080 miles) on several occasions. I was working and had limited time to visit. Being anal, it was always a race to get my best time, usually about 22 hours. When he passed away, I drove their to handle his estate. I drove home in my Dodge Hemi and made it in 19 hours. I had to pee so badly the last two hours, I thought I would explode, but it kept me awake. The driving was done at night and the speeds were in the 80's on I-5.

We still do some long drives, but it's usually at the beginning of a trip and trying to get out of Southern California.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:34 AM   #88

I've done 1300 miles in a car and did 600 in a motorhome . 600 in the motorhome was by far the harder of the two.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #89

I just drove a 6K mile road trip and the most in a day was 783 miles which was very taxing (38 ft RV pulling a toad is much harder than driving my Vette that I've exceeded 800 miles in a day).
Old 09-25-2019, 06:48 PM   #90

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
I've done just over 1200 miles in one day on a motorcycle. When I got home I slept for two days!

Because of our limited travel schedule we routinely do 800 mile days in the MH. I'm looking forward to the day that we can transit at a more casual pace......

Great post brymat. Welcome to the forum
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #91

1,100 miles no way! That is way too many miles for one day. Ok you had a deadline but still safety is a factor here yours and mine. You drive that long you get tired. A tired driver makes mistakes. That's why they put driving limits now on truck drivers. They are only allowed to drive so many hours electronically then they must stop. There has been way too many accidents due to tired drivers pushing on to make money. The same should apply here. Driving 300 to 400 miles is plenty for me even too much sometimes. Now if i get too tired we stop for our safety and others.
myot-rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #92

I can't drive from Phoenix to Tucson without falling asleep...I fell asleep just reading these post.... An hour ago!

Anyhoo...welcome to the forums. ��
Old 09-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #93

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
done it myself.. but generally not needed anymore.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle_freddy View Post
You probably won't want to try that again.
In 2008, at the age of 63, in the middle of our one year quest to find the best fulltime, long lasting fifth wheel, to start "chasin our dream fulltime", we left Grand Rapids, MI to go to the Good Sam Rally in Perry GA to look at the new 2008 New Horizons rvs. We ended up travelling 700 miles the first day in a Chevy diesel dually with a large Lance truck camper. We were trying to outrun a massive snow storm moving across the Midwest. We misjudged & hit the storm at the northern Indiana border & it just got worse from there. Broadcasts were saying 20-25 inches of snow coming, so we continued racing south on I75. By the time we got to the southern Indiana border the snow was already 10-12" deep & all trucks were parked in rest areas. We eventually got into 15"+ & the truck was plowing snow if I got out of a lane. The snow was so heavy, I couldn't see very far ahead & couldn't tell where the edge of the road was. I was temped to stop, but the rest areas had huge drifts around the parked trucks & I could see that if I stopped, I would never get started again even with my 4 wheel drive. We saw numerous spin outs in front of us, one where the car in front of us spun out on a long bridge & bounced off both bridge rails. I was able to raise my speed as we approached numerous hills & was just barely able to make some of them while driving around numerous cars & trucks stalled or sliding backwards on the hills. After 13 hours of non-stop, horribly stressful driving (much of it during the night), we finally got past the worst of it & there was only a couple of inches on the ground. We pulled into a Walmart & collapsed into bed. I inherited my love of driving/travelling from my Grandfather, but this trip thoroughly tested that love. I'll never try that again. We've gone on to 10 wonderful years of fulltiming & still counting. Been to every state more than once & Alaska twice. Oh, and we ordered a New Horizons fifth wheel on that trip & it was a great choice.
There is no I 75 in Indiana it's in Ohio.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:57 PM   #95

We used to do 700 miles from central mn to indy in a day in the car was a long day,we did 470 to st ignance mi in the rv pulling the car and it was a very long day most was 55 speed limit rain half of the day but light traffic, Did denver once 1000 mi in a day or night I should say in the suburban was to much.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:21 AM   #96

I've done right at 700 miles in one day in a Road Tractor and 920 miles in my car with the family going to Fla. to visit my sister. Told the wife if my sister was 5 miles further, we would have to spend the night in a motel and see her in the morning. You sir are IronMan to do 1100 miles in a day, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do sometimes.
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:20 AM   #97

1100 miles on the interstate in one day is doable easily if traffic and weather cooperate. Especially with a bus RV.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:55 AM   #98
IC2

2x -did Upstate NY to Daytona Beach and back 4 days later ~1300 miles each way, non stop except to gas and potty breaks. The only interstates were the NY Thruway and Garden State Parkway (giving up my age). Pulling a 5er - about 650 miles has been about the longest in the past 4-5 years with 350 the usual and just recently done again.

Lots of miles a day is no longer on our wish list of fun things to do
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote