Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Is a central vac a worthwhile option?

Going through the option list of our future RV and see the added option of a dirt devil central vac system. We have no experience with that.

Do you find it is a worthwhile option? Is there an advantage over one of the lightweight regular vacuums?

Started our journey: 2015 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, 2016 Forest River Vengeance Touring 39R12 toy hauler, Can-Am Spyder RT-Limited.
Mr. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #2

I've had two of the Dirt Devil central vacs installed in previous motorhomes. My current motorhome I went out and bought Kenmore canister model. I've got plenty of room to store it and it's MUCH better at cleaning. The small beater bar that comes on the Dirt Devil would take forever to vacuum my motorhome with slide-outs.

I'd never buy another Dirt Devil.

Mark Anderson - FMCA 351514 - Louisville, KY
2007 Sportscoach Pathfinder 377DS - Freightliner XC
2006 Jeep Commander
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We had it in our S+B and also have it in our Moho. Definite must for me and DW.
2013 Itasca Ellipse 42 QD
2014 Jeep Wrangler
Full time in 2013
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Once you have one you will never go back

All of our RV's we used compact Vacume's. Even bought a Dyson for the last one. Our new 5r has a Central Vac and we love it!! No fuss, no muss, you lift up on the cover it turns on right now. Many also have the option for the sweep vac. Anyway, the hose is self retracting so stows easy with vac tools. Is long enough to go any place in the rig and ours is 38'. When you're done just unplug the hose and it turns off. To set up takes less than a few seconds. Same to put away and it is clean, compact, bag is in vac box in basement so changing bags also clean and easy. We would never have anything else.

Jim & Trina
06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post
We had it in our S+B and also have it in our Moho. Definite must for me and DW.
X2. Easy to use, easy to store hose and easy to change bag. Didn't think I would like it but I was surprised at the power.
Ron & Kathy FMCA F327322
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our central vac sucks. Lol
2013 Itasca Ellipse 42 QD
2014 Jeep Wrangler
Full time in 2013
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
When we had our 5th wheel built, the sale rep was astonished that we did not want the central vac. We already had a Dyson.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
We have a central vac, but my DW perferred the stronger suction of her Miehle canister. We still have the Miehle but it's been supplemented (and nearly replaced) by a Dyson Animal (DC44) which is a cordless device we find perfect for picking up the kind of dirt that gets tracked in from outside. We keep it in its charger in the BR and whip it out to give the coach a quick tidy up. No it doesn't have the suction of a standard vacuum but we find it picks up an amazing amount of debris even a day after we've cleaned. The fact that it is so easy to use means it gets used more frequently.
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Absolutely, positively, would not be without it. Had it in the two MH we have owned. So easy to use and store does a great job and we have two large canines, girls, that we travel with. Nuff' said!!
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Waste of $$ we use a robot, the iRobot or Roomba, turn it on let it run it doesn't miss a spot works with dog hair also.

Goes from tile to carpet, when not using it in your RV bring it in home.

No hoses or attachments to store

cost was about $300 see here
HR Endeavor 38CDS - 330 Cat - Aero Muffler
Miata close behind | 585W solar w/Kid Controller
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
To each his/her own, of course. When I purchased our coach several years ago, the original owner had ordered a central vac system. 'Oh that's nice', I thought....'I'll never use that'. Then I used it. Wow....how wrong I was. The thing is awesome and incredibly easy/convenient to use. Can't remember what brand it is, but it was installed by Fleetwood.

Now, when we prepare for a long trip or for spring/fall cleaning which includes carpet cleaining, I use the home vac system. But for road trips or for cleaining up the coach following inside "projects" or the inevitable coffee ground spills, it cannot be beat, IMHO. It takes up very little under-cabinet storage, and it has all the usual attachments in a nice mesh bag.

Had central vac in my former new home that was installed as standard by the builder. Also thought that was somewhat frivilous. Then I used it.....
2003 Fleetwood Revolution DP
HeapBigEngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #12
Appalachian Campers
Get it, well worth the money IMHO
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #13
The Central Vac in the S/B was awesome. The central Vac (dirt devil) didn't have the power and clogs were a persistent problem.

I think it depends upon the manufacturer of the central vac but I have heard numerous complaints about power and cleaning ability of the brand we had. Love the idea though.
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
Damon Owners Club
I think central vac from Dirt Devil is great. Been using ours
for four years, would not be without one.

macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote