Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
IMO, that's a very difficult blanket statement to make with any sort of certainty.

Rick
Last I checked... warranty companies were in business to make $$$$ and not for the benevolence & comfort of those not comfortable with mechanics.

No normal person spends $6,000 on something they hope "not" to use. The reality is you buy it to "hedge" your bet.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #30

I used to be of the opinion Extended Service Contracts were something to avoid. I have since changed my mind, even though I still think they are inadvisable for towables. We have been contemplating trading our 5er in on a motorhome, and I've been doing homework.
A towable doesn't have all that much to fail, but a MH is a very complex machine, both coach and chassis. This has caused me to reach the conclusion that an extended service contract is rather like buying cancer insurance. You hopefully never need to file a claim, but you have peace of mind that a calamity will not destroy your family financially. Will it be profitable? Likely not, but then again, you are insuring a depreciating asset ( the RV), that will develop more mechanical issues as it ages. When/if we purchase a MH, we will also purchase an ESC.
That's DW and my opinion FWIW.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've saved thousands of $ over the years by not buying service policies.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I used to be of the opinion Extended Service Contracts were something to avoid. I have since changed my mind, even though I still think they are inadvisable for towables. We have been contemplating trading our 5er in on a motorhome, and I've been doing homework.
A towable doesn't have all that much to fail, but a MH is a very complex machine, both coach and chassis. This has caused me to reach the conclusion that an extended service contract is rather like buying cancer insurance. You hopefully never need to file a claim, but you have peace of mind that a calamity will not destroy your family financially. Will it be profitable? Likely not, but then again, you are insuring a depreciating asset ( the RV), that will develop more mechanical issues as it ages. When/if we purchase a MH, we will also purchase an ESC.
That's DW and my opinion FWIW.

There are lots of items that are "complex" and similar plans to insure they work. A daily example is a cell phone. Companies charge $8/month for insurance. Over a year period its close to $100. Over a contract life of 2yrs... its nearly $200, almost the cost of the device and more than likely after a few months you are insuring an obsolete item.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I got to use my phone insurance after 3 days once... accidently when into a bonfire
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #34

Replacement cost of new iPhone while under contract around $650.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think it's a roll of the dice either way. We did buy the GS extended plan when we purchased our "new to us" Journey last year. The thought of something happening to the engine or transmission concerned us. In the first three months they replaced a rear jack and a slide cylinder for the bedroom slide, total out of pocket $50.00. We bought the policy from the Dealer, so probably paid too much, but we didn't know about IRV2 then! I do hope we never have to use it again, and if we do I hope it continues to pay like it has. We do sleep better at night!
Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
I believe in extended warranties for Motorhomes. Wouldn't bother with a fifth wheel or trailer. My warranty was approx 3000. I would not pay 6000.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #37

I am headed up to pick up our motor home in the morning after the transmission failed. I have to pay 200 bucks and the rest the warranty pays. Our policy has been very good for us.

If you have extended warranty from a good supplier, in our case XtraRide, things that break are not an expense of any size. So up to you. Do you like Vegas? If yes no warranty is fine.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used my ESP one time for a $350 ($50 deductible ) jack repair. They held up the repair. They told the shop my jacks were'nt covered. I had to make calls and jump through the hoops and they called the shop and told them it would be covered. No work was done until the shop was guaranteed payment by some body.
I was and still not a big fan of ESPs.
Then, after 5 1/2 years of the 7 year contract my crankshaft in my gas engine broke in 3 pieces. OMG, what a nightmare fighting with the ESP and the shop too. All service records since new were demanded and sent twice, they came and inspected the MH, I wrote many letters and received many replies from the BBB in CO and NY and also the Div. of Insurance in both states; and in 2 months they agreed to pay $12,600 for the new engine which left me to pay $1400 when I had a $50 deductible. I was tired of fighting and waiting for my MH by then.
They helped financially when I had a major problem but it was a huge hassle.
Would I buy another on a new MH? I'm not sure.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #39

Max, What was the name of the company that gave you such a hassle?
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interstate Star
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Max - you didn't give us an idea of what the 7 year plan cost at the time but if I did my math correctly they paid out $11,450 after deductible and uncovered items. The difference between what you paid for the coverage and what they covered would seem to me to be the hassle factor premium to you (or anyone). If it was $10 I wouldn't think that to be a good deal - but if it's several thousand it's sounding better.

As I've said - I have one but fear the long drawn out battle for coverage - but if they pay in the end - the hassle could still be worth it. When I signed up I did agree to keep to maintenance current and provide receipts and records if asked. But I didn't agree to spend days on end fighting with them over coverage.
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Here's the deal......if the company selling the insurance doesn't make money there out of business, so the odds are it's not worth it, and they know how to figure the odds very well. On the other hand if you bought a POS and it's going to crap out often, than here is your chance to "Stick It To The Man"