Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They paid $12600 just for the engine. It was worth fighting for and they thought so too.
If it was a small amount it may not be worth the hassle they were. All I could talk to was the phone answerers. And they were nice but did not know the status or why it was taking so long. They guessed it was because the claim was high.
If I hadn't contacted the BBB and Division of Insurance, I believe they may not have paid. They looked long and hard for any loopholes that may get them out of having to pay.

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #44

I have had no holdups with XtraRide insurance. They swiftly approved the transmission shop in Los Angles in a few minutes with no hassles at all. I am leaving to pick up my coach in a few minutes. I normally don't promote companies unless they go above and beyond the call. ExtraRide has done that with us several times. They get a solid 10 out of 10 recommendation from me. Unfortunately my coach has too many miles to renew our agreement with them in two weeks or I would renew.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
I have had no holdups with XtraRide insurance. They swiftly approved the transmission shop in Los Angles in a few minutes with no hassles at all. I am leaving to pick up my coach in a few minutes. I normally don't promote companies unless they go above and beyond the call. ExtraRide has done that with us several times. They get a solid 10 out of 10 recommendation from me. Unfortunately my coach has too many miles to renew our agreement with them in two weeks or I would renew.
2 weeks left? Double bonus that they actually paid up..

Most plans would try to leave you with so little time left..
Old 11-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not even going to read all this, but...

I own a small business and do a lot of service. we get $180 per hour for service AND travel. I've actually been paid $180 per hour to drive my RV from Chicago to north dakota... and back.

Service contracts are our highest profit margin business, by a factor of at least 10.
A service contract is an insurance policy, and the odds are HEAVILY stacked in favor of the house.

If you bank what the service contract company would charge, monthly, after 5 years, 90% of you would have 90 percent of your money left, plus interest.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #47

Easy care handles all your high end and luxury. Autos
Very good company
Old 11-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #48

Deek,

When I placed my order for the Ventana, I was also offered the extended warranty but declined because I simply do not buy them. That said, I checked into the coach, called the supplies and found the following.

Freight liner.... 3 year warranty, extended available to buy direct.
Cummins......5 years warranty
Allison....5 years warranty.

My bottom line is that since the extended warranty runs parallel, i'm not gaining that much and will hold my cash for potential repairs and maintainance.

Off topic. Thinking of buying a CR- V. How was your 3433 with the Honda on back?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Makes a lot of sense, Lass. After lots of thinking on this, we decided not to buy the extended warranty. Will re-evaluate after first year of service from new coach.

Enjoy your Ventana! It is really a great MH.

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 - All Electric / 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit AWD / SMI Air Force One / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
They paid $12600 just for the engine. It was worth fighting for and they thought so too.
If it was a small amount it may not be worth the hassle they were. All I could talk to was the phone answerers. And they were nice but did not know the status or why it was taking so long. They guessed it was because the claim was high.
If I hadn't contacted the BBB and Division of Insurance, I believe they may not have paid. They looked long and hard for any loopholes that may get them out of having to pay.
it still baffles my mind than a gas engine costs that much. I know for a fact...even with 25hrs of labor... you could have rebuilt it for less than 1/2 that.
The reason I know this? I asked a local machine shop. They just rebuilt a 5.4 liter ford engine for me (w/ 220k original miles). Total rebuild cost with new pistons/rings/bearings/timing components, and valve job was $3200. With labor Im in for $4600 for a new motor that will go another 220k. Even if the trans goes out... im looking at $1k to repair. To purchase a new vehicle of the same duty size I was looking at $35k. And FWIW... Ford considers the 5.4 "disposible" and prefers to sell you a long block assembly.

Just for giggles
http://accurateengines.com/remanufac...ngine-upgrade/
Old 11-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Look up gcrate engines.. They go for some dough.. Also, I'm sure labor was included in that price.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Look up gcrate engines.. They go for some dough.. Also, I'm sure labor was included in that price.
his post clearly said they paid $12,600 for the engine. Total job was closer to $18k
Sorry... the extended service company got "retailed"
Old 11-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I guess.. it happens.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #54

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Weathertodd, I said the total cost was $14,000. I had a $50 deductible but the ESP said the shop was too high but they go by National average and don't suggest where they want to take it at their expense. I had to pay $1400 instead of $50 Don't forget this is a MH we're talking about most every body who works on them assumes if you own a MH u must have more money than brains and they know not many shops want a big bus in there or it won't fit. I could have paid another $6-700 to have it towed elsewhere. 2 different places told me they could do it for less but I would have been gambling that the new shop, once they had my MH captive, the price may go up. Plus, the other shop had pieces off the engine and possible arguments over where the pieces are and they may have charged me for what they took apart. Not to mention, almost 2 months had passed and the ESP was to blame for most of that time lost.
If I did tow it 60 miles to a new shop, who knows if they'd get on it right away and even if they did, they/ we would have to start all over getting pre authorization from the ESP all over again.
I got a brand new 8.1 from GM, maybe not better than a rebuilt but as the shop told me rebuilt warranties are just as much red tape as ESPs
When all this was happening and there was a long thread about it, lots of people said it was too much money but that's easy to say, not many do it tho.
When you got blown motor in a MH it's not easy to take it around to get 2,3,4 estimates.
If my same engine was going in a PU truck the warranty would have been 5yr / 100,000 miles but since it was going in a MH the warranty was only 12 mo / 12,000 mi.
A rebuilt warranty was a little better but they are limited on what they'd pay for labor if they're engine did fail.
BTW I also thought 14K was outrageous but since then I've heard of others on this forum who paid even more for the same engine.
However if they were getting rich off it, there would be lots more competition wanting to Change MH engines, at least it seems.

The shop told me " if the ESP thinks they can do it for $12,600 , let them do it"
Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Weathertodd, I said the total cost was $14,000. I had a $50 deductible but the ESP said the shop was too high but they go by National average and don't suggest where they want to take it at their expense. I had to pay $1400 instead of $50 Don't forget this is a MH we're talking about most every body who works on them assumes if you own a MH u must have more money than brains and they know not many shops want a big bus in there or it won't fit. I could have paid another $6-700 to have it towed elsewhere. 2 different places told me they could do it for less but I would have been gambling that the new shop, once they had my MH captive, the price may go up. Plus, the other shop had pieces off the engine and possible arguments over where the pieces are and they may have charged me for what they took apart. Not to mention, almost 2 months had passed and the ESP was to blame for most of that time lost.
If I did tow it 60 miles to a new shop, who knows if they'd get on it right away and even if they did, they/ we would have to start all over getting pre authorization from the ESP all over again.
I got a brand new 8.1 from GM, maybe not better than a rebuilt but as the shop told me rebuilt warranties are just as much red tape as ESPs
When all this was happening and there was a long thread about it, lots of people said it was too much money but that's easy to say, not many do it tho.
When you got blown motor in a MH it's not easy to take it around to get 2,3,4 estimates.
If my same engine was going in a PU truck the warranty would have been 5yr / 100,000 miles but since it was going in a MH the warranty was only 12 mo / 12,000 mi.
A rebuilt warranty was a little better but they are limited on what they'd pay for labor if they're engine did fail.
BTW I also thought 14K was outrageous but since then I've heard of others on this forum who paid even more for the same engine.
However if they were getting rich off it, there would be lots more competition wanting to Change MH engines, at least it seems.
maybe Im mistaken but I swear I remember you posting it was really expensive and I thought you said it was $18k. no worries my mistake.

I would be more interested in "why" the engine failed. Especially a non modified one.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #56

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it happened, I would not take it to the same place. In fact I made a mistake asking my roadside assistance to take it toast particular GM dealer. If they would chosen where to take it and I and the ESP wasn't satisfied with the price or service they may have retowed it for me. But since they towed it extra miles at my request, they were out of responsibility for it.
Sometimes warranties and ESPs sound great but when u have a big claim then you see how they deal with it.