Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #57

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd

I would be more interested in "why" the engine failed. Especially a non modified one.
Ran perfect til the split second that the crankshaft broke on 3 pieces. There was a very long thread about it here on IRV with numerous picture. The thread ran from 7-30-10 (my B Day) til about Oct '10 at least.

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I seem to remember reading about the 8.1's having issues wih piston rings getting 'tight', or something like that. Could very easily have contributed to a busted crank.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #59
CBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
it still baffles my mind than a gas engine costs that much. I know for a fact...even with 25hrs of labor... you could have rebuilt it for less than 1/2 that.
25 hours?

I replaced my new 2012 Ford V10 after 4,000 miles.

The Ford Heavy Truck center said it was a 50-60 hour job just to remove and replace the engine. At $125 an hour, that's around $7,500 in labor alone, never mind the new crate engine they put in. 12-16k seems about right.

The engine in a gas RV comes out through the bottom. They have to remove (and later replace) the entire front suspension to get it out of there.

In my case, Ford was picking up the tab, so the dealer had no reason to inflate the number of hours the job would take. Can't comment on the extended warranty yet, maybe for engine #3.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
25 hours?

I replaced my new 2012 Ford V10 after 4,000 miles.

The Ford Heavy Truck center said it was a 50-60 hour job just to remove and replace the engine. At $125 an hour, that's around $7,500 in labor alone, never mind the new crate engine they put in. 12-16k seems about right.

The engine in a gas RV comes out through the bottom. They have to remove (and later replace) the entire front suspension to get it out of there.

In my case, Ford was picking up the tab, so the dealer had no reason to inflate the number of hours the job would take. Can't comment on the extended warranty yet, maybe for engine #3.
A whole week of time to remove/replace an engine? Sorry... no way the job is actually taking that long. 25hrs is generous by any estimate.

An engine failing with 4k miles... and its your second. Well you are the exception to the rule.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #61

Never. Simple math

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #62

Why would you get a warrany that is effect while you are under warrant? Buy it after

Old 11-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Why would you get a warrany that is effect while you are under warrant? Buy it after
Agreed!
After works. Trust me!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #64

An extended warranty is of value for anything that is likely to fail during the extended warranty period and is expensive to repair or replace. With an RV that might include the engine and transmission and fridge and AC unit(s) but that is all I can think of to put in this category. Most things fail early on or very late in their life so they are more likely to be covered under the manufacturers' warranties or break down after the extended warranty expires.

If I bought an RV that was more than 3 years old or with more than 50k miles on it then I would want an extended warranty and shop for the best one I could find. Dealers by the way get a cut on any extended warranty they sell as this is one of the most profitable items for them and is easy money. The alternative is to buy a very old RV and save so much money that you can easily afford any repairs that might be needed.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #65

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Smile Just my experence

While I have no experience with a MH extended warranty, I can attest to the one I had when I bought a used 1999 Chrysler 300 M. Salesman ( a long time friend) suggested it due to his experience with Chrysler products. I bought it for about $1400.00. By the time the car had 100k on the clock the warranty company (Wynns) had forked over more that $8000.00. If I could get a Wynns warranty for our 2001 Discovery, I sure would!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #66

Hi all,
Just took my 2006 Hurricane 9k miles out off the dealership and on to the road.Before I started driving it I was nearly sold on the Easy Care extended warranty.The dealership made the proposal after I bought it.
4 years 3600$. 250.00$ deductible.After driving the mh around it felt like the mileage read, like a new truck,But then Im on my own in a month unless I go for the warranty...Im not a mechanic,not much of a handy man,but I'll do whatever to care for it.Maintenance and Going easy on it or Easy Care,in 3 weeks its decision time.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv artisan View Post
Hi all,
Just took my 2006 Hurricane 9k miles out off the dealership and on to the road.Before I started driving it I was nearly sold on the Easy Care extended warranty.The dealership made the proposal after I bought it.
4 years 3600$. 250.00$ deductible.After driving the mh around it felt like the mileage read, like a new truck,But then Im on my own in a month unless I go for the warranty...Im not a mechanic,not much of a handy man,but I'll do whatever to care for it.Maintenance and Going easy on it or Easy Care,in 3 weeks its decision time.
So unless you have to replace the tires or a roof... its a $3850 gamble (plus the towing! ) Which a warranty will cover neither of those.

Id start reading what it covers... then review your insurance coverage and your roadside assistance coverage.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #68

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I figure of the dealer thinks I need it then maybe I don't want the vehicle in the first place!

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote