Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have allways gotten dumb looks for free when i ask about the RV fuel rewards card.
So now I just drive past flying J/Pilot and get my fuel somewhere else (where it is usally cheaper).

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For me, having a gasoline powered motorhome, about the only thing P/FJ has to offer that is of use to me is a place to park for a few hours rest. I find them very hard to manuever in and out of for the most part, (fuel lanes too close to building) and they are usually very busy. With my 5% off pay at the pump Visa card, I can beat thier price almost any other place with out all the hassle of getting in and out of thier places of business, plus having to carry a membership card. I would probably feel differently if I owned a diesel rig and could use the truck lanes for fueling. But alas,....in this economy, that just ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Dieselclacker

Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Parking is still free.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #18

[QUOTE ] For me, having a gasoline powered motorhome, about the only thing P/FJ has to offer that is of use to me is a place to park for a few hours rest. I find them very hard to manuever in and out of for the most part, (fuel lanes too close to building) and they are usually very busy. With my 5% off pay at the pump Visa card, I can beat thier price almost any other place with out all the hassle of getting in and out of thier places of business, plus having to carry a membership card. I would probably feel differently if I owned a diesel rig and could use the truck lanes for fueling. But alas,....in this economy, that just ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

[/QUOTE]

The Rv fuel lanes have plenty of room. Is it the car lanes you are referring to that are to close to the building? They have gas as well as diesel at the Rv pumps.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #19

They didn't charge you for the air your breathed while there did they? No...so there is a "Freebie"

yes, all the free perks have been nice....but those perks are no longer free. So many reasons come to mind for this.

Sewer disposal costs them
Air compressor and air lines and air chucks cost them
and etc etc
Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[/QUOTE]

The Rv fuel lanes have plenty of room. Is it the car lanes you are referring to that are to close to the building? They have gas as well as diesel at the Rv pumps.

Yes, I was referring to the lanes out front. Not all stations have RV specific lanes, at least not here out west. The ones that do have one or more RV lanes, I have found, usually have a line of rigs waiting to fuel up. For me, there just aren't enough incentives to make P/FJ a regular fuel stop for my travels. I have no qualms with those who do choose to use P/FJ facilities.

Dieselclacker
Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
, then went inside to get some snacks - $14,
Stop at a Family Dollar or Dollar General store and it will be half that.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Mt. where he lives only has one Flying J #924 that gives a RV discount.
And it doesn't even have a RV Island to use. No RV parking, No Dump, and no LP.
No Pilots even listed in Mt. only Town Pump or Broadway(Flying J)

Even the #924 station in the RV Guide isn't listed on line with their daily prices web site.
Triker56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nothing provided by any business is free. THe free cookies you get at motels are already in the room rate, the free meal on a cruise ship is factored into your ticket, etc...

I prefer the a la carte type services. I pay for those I use and don't pay for the "free ones" I don't use.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #24
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's not that I didn't spend over $100 there, it's that many of the things they charge for are free at other stations.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like maybe you should go to the occupy Wall Street demonstration along with everyone else that thinks everything should be given to them.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the road, I generally avoided the Flyin' Jerks even before Peelot bought them out. I worked for one carrier that required we fuel there, but that is all I did, and only because we had an agreement where we could "fuel & fly" meaning we didn't even have to go inside to sign for the fuel.
In the RV I've come to appreciate the availability of the propane, but find that the counter-time and waiting for someone to come out and load is the same ol' annoying slow service they've always had.
There are still many rest areas with free dumps, and an even greater many small mom-and-pop truck stops to boondock at securely, if I need to, and PFJ is (personally) my last choice.
That being said, I know many of my cohorts on the road made life miserable for truck stop staff, dumping their week's garbage into the fuel island trash cans and spilling who-knows what there and all over the lot. In an effort to keep this family-friendly, I can't begin to tell you the worst I've seen, both inside and outside the truck stops, but it's not anything you would tolerate on your own property. I can somewhat understand the lack of service, being treated that way. So, if I DO stop, I try to at least leave a smile and pick up ANY trash around my unit- whether I left it there or not.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #27
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Every person has personal decisions to make throughout their life time. Stopping anywhere is a personal decision that has to be made. If I'm not happy about some place(es), I just don't stop there unless it is a forced necessity. So my personal decision regarding stopping at PFJ is a positive one. If I should stumble upon one that just does not have the same amenities as the last one I stopped at, well, I have to stop and ask myself, "When will I travel this way again, and will I remember stopping here and the experience I have had?" In my twilight senior moments, most likely not. Now let's see, I can get out the log book (I do keep one) and check to see if I stopped somewhere before, or I can just say, "It's time to stop," do it and be on with it.

In all of our travels this year there were only two instances where things did not work they way they did at all the other stops. Now for me, that's not bad.

So thanks PFJ.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I personally look for PFJ along the way, especially if i need propane and dump. Otherwise I look for any truck stop that is easy in easy out.

I can't remember the last time my RVFuel card didn't give me pump start and 3 cents off per gallon. The best part is pump start, which means I don;t have to restart the pump every $100.00.

Nothing is free anywhere, if they are giving it to you for free they marked something else or everything else up. Businesses do not remain in business by giving things away.

If the perception that you are getting something for free makes you feel better, well ok.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote