Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #29

None of us turn down anything that is marked free, no matter what it cost. I've seen you do it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #30

Sometimes it is better to know exactly what you're gonna get regardless of where you are. Gives you a little piece of mind while on the road. That's what makes McDonalds so successful. I don't go to PFJ because it's the cheapest, has the best service, or has the most stuff for free. I go because I know what to expect, good, bad or indifferent. There are times and places where I just don't feel like rolling the dice on the unknown. And just like people say about Walmart, letting you stay overnight for free makes you want o gve them some business. I think it's a fair trade. As far as the $10 dump, just walk in and ask for a FREE Rv Advantage card. Turn right around and use it to get half price on the dump fee, 10 cents per gallon off the propane and a few cents of the gas. It's all good.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #31

iRV2 No Limits Club
One reason people expect a lot free services is once upon a time they were all free. Heck, I can remember when an attendant pumped the gas for you, checked under the hood, cleaned your windshield, and checked your tires, all at no extra charge. Heck, they wouldn't even let you pump your own gas. Gas was under two bits a gallon. Now, you get charged for every little thing and some services just aren't available.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #32

I am happy to pay $5 to dump fee (with loyalty card), thank you Flying J for providing the opportunity to dump and thank you for the RV lanes, it makes refueling much easier. I patronize them whenever I can, and appreciate the free overnight parking.
Fla2RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Wow, there were some strong opinions made here. I agree that businesses are entitled to make profits on every product or service they provide, and we have a choice to buy or not to buy them.
I think GaryKD said it best with his short and straight to the point question.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #34
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
One reason people expect a lot free services is once upon a time they were all free. Heck, I can remember when an attendant pumped the gas for you, checked under the hood, cleaned your windshield, and checked your tires, all at no extra charge. Heck, they wouldn't even let you pump your own gas. Gas was under two bits a gallon. Now, you get charged for every little thing and some services just aren't available.
Yup, I also can remember those days. Wages were also lower with few bennies if any....
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
Just to let everyone know. in CA, it is required by law for service stations to provide air free of charge if they have air. If they have a quarter machine just go in and ask to have the air turned on. They are required by law to give you air if they have it.
And when the tell you take a hike, here's a link to file your complaint. CDFA - DMS Consumer Complaint

They are required to offer this service ONLY to paying customers.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is still free at the Flying-J

Compressed air
Water
Parking.
Rest Room
Attitude (usually good but hey, you never know)
Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #37

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Yup, I also can remember those days. Wages were also lower with few bennies if any....
True, but the equivalent wage went a lot farther.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Nothing is free anywhere, if they are giving it to you for free they marked something else or everything else up. Businesses do not remain in business by giving things away.

If the perception that you are getting something for free makes you feel better, well ok.
I don't think anyone thinks that these services are free. I know it is that I want the best value for the money I spend. I worked hard to earn it, I used to be a common patron of Flying-J and would search them out for the good value I received from them for my dollars spent, as time has gone on do to the disapearing values(freebies) there it no longer a reason to search them out.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just completing a 3200 mi trip thru the midwest and NE, I think diesel at PFJ stations is over priced for either cash or cc. Also I notice their islands are apparently never pressured washed, hand cleaner non-existent, and generally dirty. Depending on station access, I buy my diesel from smaller stations and save 8-15 cents a gallon.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Driving my gasser back and forth across the country every year I have come to appreciate the Flying J's we patronize. I keep their station list handy and have notes on which ones to avoid because of lack of RV island, unfriendly staff or what ever. The rest are generally consistent, the main variable being RV island left or right. I have never had a real problem maneuvering in and out unless some dummy has decided to block the lane. Some times we have had to wait for someone to finish fueling (or to begin!) I usually figure 30 minutes for a fueling stop and don;t get to bent if it take a bit longer. After all I seldom have a schedule. I like the loyalty card and I seldom depend on them for the dump.. Having seen the filthy mess some people have left it is no wonder they are charging and also no wonder so many states are closing the dumps in their rest areas. People are slobs.

Rant over!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our big disappointments in PFJ since Pilot took them over is that they no longer do the cleaning (like power washing) that they use to so their stations that we have used are nasty like the regular Pilot truck stops and the attitude of the employees has deteriorated as bad as the cleanliness. We used to look forward to stopping at FJ knowing they would be clean and we would be waited on by clean, competent, smiling help. No more. Lately we've gotten better service, and cleaner truck stops, at Loves and Petro. Generally better prices also. We don't stop at TA because their advertised prices are alway higher than anyone else. As qualifiers: because of the way we travel and park (DW doesn't do "no hook-up") we don't use the sewer dump or the compressed air and we don't stay for a nap or the night. Once in 5 1/2 years we have added a few gallons of water our holding tank. We have several times taken advantage of FJ propane service and have always gotten reasonably fast competent and friendly service. We have not a had need to purchase propane at PFJ. Probably won't have since we since we now try to avoid them altogether.

We prefer to fill up at high volume truck stops where we feel that we are getting fresh clean fuel that won't foul our filters rather than some regular gas station that has one diesel pump that we're not sure how much diesel they sell and how old and contaminated is their stock. Maybe I'm wrong in that thinking, but I'd rather pay a few pennies more than pay the price of a break down on the road because of bad fuel.

LadyFitz I too remember the "full service" that you used to get at a "Service Station". You got it at all the stations regardless of whether or not it was a big brand station or the cut rate station. Little did we know that when they started "offering" a self service island that soon that would be all that was available. Like 8 track disks, "full service" is a thing of the past.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljr View Post
Nothing is free from anyone, ever. It just might not be obvious how you are paying for it. FJ is making it obvious so its easier decide if you want it, or not.
A frequent notation in a series of books (The "Wolf World" or "Sten" series) I really like: TANSTAFL

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"