Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is anything free at Pilot/Flying J?

I stopped to top of my tank - $88, noticed their sewer dump costs $10 - no thanks, then went inside to get some snacks - $14, decided to buy a shower - $10, saw a 12v splitter I liked better than the one I had - $11 and then remembered I needed to check the air in my tires. So I pull over to the truck lanes (80% empty) figured better air pressure, only there is some sort of locking mechanism on the air hoses.

The only thing they didn't charge me for was the bath my shoes got when I tried to put water in my holding tank. The dang faucet squirted water for 6 feet in all directions when I lifted the lever.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just to let everyone know. in CA, it is required by law for service stations to provide air free of charge if they have air. If they have a quarter machine just go in and ask to have the air turned on. They are required by law to give you air if they have it.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi okmunky,
Just curious, why would you expect PFJ or any business to provide free products or services?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:16 AM   #4
ljr

Nothing is free from anyone, ever. It just might not be obvious how you are paying for it. FJ is making it obvious so its easier decide if you want it, or not.
ljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well you may want to look at it this way. I know you pay for everything that you purchase there but the one thing besides the water is that you can stay the night "FREE".
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:50 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I stopped to top of my tank - $88, noticed their sewer dump costs $10 - no thanks, then went inside to get some snacks - $14, decided to buy a shower - $10, saw a 12v splitter I liked better than the one I had - $11
Which one of these items did you think Flying J should not have charged you for ?
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It occurs to me that I had much rather shop at a facility that charges those who use the services rather than raise the price of gas/diesel for everyone to cover those "free" services.
Remember: "there ain't no free lunch".
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #8

If you are ever in Rio Rancho (Albquerque) NM, many of the gas stations that also sell diesel have free dump stations. Their fuel products are the same price as those stations that don't sell diesel.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It may be the difference between what is called a "service" and what feels like a "service charge". Either way you will pay fot it some how.

If Flying J/Pilot or anyone else says Free; water/ air/ dump---then the bag of chips or soda will cost everyone a cent more and so on, the charge is hidden and the service then feels free.

One thing about user fees is that the one using the service pays for what they get---supposedly saving everyone else from minor cost on everything.

This is a highly philosophical observation---most likely Flying J/Pilot is charging as much as the traffic will bear for eveything. Most vendors do.

The occassional offer of "free or greatly reduced is a "loss leader"; they will lose money on it to get you into the store where you will also do some impulse buying of whatever they carry at higher prices. Case of beer for $$$ el cheapo---by the register is a four dollar bag of pork rinds ya gotta have. This is not at all uncommon because it works.

Then there are situations where what you see is what you get at whatever price take it or leave it---anyone been on a cruise ship----in some respects from what I hear of Flying J/Pilot recently is that they may have taken that approach. It may be that they feel once you turn off the FWY and hit the pumps you will "take what is there' and lump it---not wanting to move on down the HWY to some other place.

As long as enough people are willing to pay the price then it stays the same---I do not frequent Flynig J/ Pilot often---they are too crowded.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If you get FJs RV frequent fueler card or whatever they call it the dump station is $5. They provided a lot of stuff for free but in today's economy and take over by Pilot the started to charge. Can't blame them. I'm sure there were folks that came in, dumped holding tanks, filled up water and inflated tires then went across the street to save 2 cents on fuel.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If a friend comes to my house and wants to dump, have at it.

If the public starts coming, great too but I'm gonna charge at least $10
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been staying over night at FJ's for 10+ years, in areas provided for RV's, never charged. Thanks FJ for the FREE service.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm curious.

How many companies offer something like this PFJ RV Home
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #14

I liked the free dump service but now that they charge I will simply hold on to my #$@# and dump at campground. No biggie as long as I can still stay the night for free. ( after filling tanks with diesel and propane of course).
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote