Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
I remind people again. The little tube, in-line "regulators" you see for <$10. ARE NOT REGULATORS. The are restrictors. If you put a gauge on the line after the 'regulator' you see the same pressure as before. That means you are applying full pressure to the pipes when there is no flow.

If you want regulation, find and purchase a Watts regulator. They are not cheap BUT they work.
Thanks for posting this again, I did not know that. I've just been mindlessly sticking that cheapie on the faucet without regard to actual pressure. My last pressure gauge may still be on a faucet in Montana, but after DW compained about shower power last time out, I bought another one. Will pay a lot closer attention now, and I'm sure will end up with a real pressure regulator.
Thanks again.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
DandS, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, sorry. I was trying to point out that while a smaller water hose only results in reduced flow, a smaller electrical supply cord can result in burned plugs, over-heated motors, fires, etc., with the end result being potentially quite expensive. Have you ever noticed it's much easier to hold a discussion in person than by written word? I sure have.

JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some years ago I switched from 1/2" hose to 5/8" hose. The increase in volume of water flow was immediately noticeable. I always recommend 5/8" water hose. If you have high pressure, like 60-70 PSI, you won't need a larger size hose as the results won't be as noticeable. If you are running 30 - 40 PSI you'll notice the difference.

I have purchased 3/4" brass, male and female, hose fittings but the only 3/4" hose I could find (several years ago) was restaurant grade and it was very "dear" in price. If I ever finish this project I'll post the results .

We are on well water here in Maine and the first two years we came here we suffered badly for pressure and volume. That's when I came across the 3/4" fittings, purchased them and was ready to get the 3/4" hose and the owner of the camp ground owner, the next season, made improvements in the water delivery system. Now I run 35 PSI and we can survive. We certainly don't need any flow or pressure devices in the system.

I always check the pressure when hooking up to a new (to me) system.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirko View Post
It has been stated that the smallest diameter determines the flow rate and that is only approximately true if this restrictioin overshadows all others. What is really important is the total restriction.

From a practical point of view, smaller diameter hoses are not normally a problem unless the available water pressure is very small or the hose is really long. The only time you would even sense a difference is when filling the tank, and then it would take a little longer.
I agree with what you have said. I use the Watts regulator and a 5/8 in hose and have very good pressure a flow. There have been times when I have used a 1/2 in hose with the Watts regulator and there is a noticeable difference in lower flow when using the 1/2 hose.
CrossCountryNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
For those of you that would like a recommendation on water pressure regulators, I would suggest using only a household watts adjustable pressure regulator normally found used in a house along with a gauge to see what the actually water pressure is going into your coach. Everything else is a waste of your money and will generally only restrict the water versus reducing the pressure. And with the watts, you can adjust the pressure each time depending on how much initial water pressure the RV park has to start out with.

Regarding hoses, I gave up on the white RV approved hose years ago. However I do own a flat roll-up 25ft. hose that was purchased from CW but have never used it to date. It sits in the basement storage in one of my storage bins. What I do use is a series of 6 ft. stainless steel covered washing machine hoses. One that goes from the watts pressure regulator to my house water filter, another going from the filter to my water softener, then a third going from the softener to my coach. One important thing that I must point out is that we only use the water to wash dishes, shower, the ice maker with extra filtration and for the toilet. We never use the water for general drinking or cooking purposes. The water quality where we are in Santa Clarita, CA is quite hard, hence the reason for the softener, so as a result, we use bottled water solely for cooking, drinking and even for our dog's water dish.

Happy Holidays.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The water quality where we are in Santa Clarita, CA is quite hard, hence the reason for the softener, so as a result, we use bottled water solely for cooking, drinking and even for our dog's water dish.
So your using a water softener, why then do you need bottled water???
CrossCountryNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
From Dirko; smaller diameter hoses are not normally a problem unless the available water pressure is very small or the hose is really long
Dirko is absolutely correct. As my plumber told me when I ran my water line from the city connection at the street to the back of my property which is about 100 ft., he said to run 1-inch PVC rather then 3/4-inch as it would help by not restricting the flow. Smaller diameter restricts the flow. But from the faucet to the RV I'm only using a 10-foot hose so the size makes little difference.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountry View Post
Softener water contains large quantities of Sodium. Plus, the taste is not so nice. I prefer bottled or filtered H2O. Distilled is blah/gag/retch..same with DI (De-ionized) and RO. Best is bottled with a splash of flavored C2H5OH.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountry View Post
The soft water allows us to use less soap when doing dishes and taking showers because the soap lathers up really well with the soft water versus hard water.

I not on a sodium diet but to drink that stuff, UGH! Just the thought turns my stomach. I don't mind an ice cube or two as you really can't tell with the ice, however the bottled water taste so much better. We buy it from a bulk supplier filing up our 2-3 gallon water dispenser jugs usually once a week.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Is bigger better?

As a new member, I make this statement.

This forum goes off subject just like every one I've joined/observed.
No need to get excited, it's as natural as sunshine in Florida.
The real info is in the first few posts, as always.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote