Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Is bigger better?

After buying and wrestling with 5/8” inside diameter RV water hoses for a number of years, I'm wondering if there's any benefit to the larger 5/8” hose vs. the easier to handle 1/2” inside diameter hoses.

When you look at the inlet pipe in your RV as well as the inside diameter of a pressure regulator or in-line shut-off valve, a 1/2” diameter hose does not appear to be the limiting factor in water delivery volume.

Seems like the lighter and easier to store 1/2” hose is as beneficial as a 5/8” hose for RV applications.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #2

I have always used a 1/2" hose with no problems. The problems I encountered were with the regulator, which I only use when the pressure is extreamly high.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #3

Most RV water piping/tubing is 1/2" ID. The smallest restriction in a liquid or gaseous line determines total flow rate at a constant pressure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I have always used a 1/2" hose with no problems. The problems I encountered were with the regulator, which I only use when the pressure is extreamly high.
I remind people again. The little tube, in-line "regulators" you see for <$10. ARE NOT REGULATORS. The are restrictors. If you put a gauge on the line after the 'regulator' you see the same pressure as before. That means you are applying full pressure to the pipes when there is no flow.

If you want regulation, find and purchase a Watts regulator. They are not cheap BUT they work.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have always purchased our hoses, filters, and Watts regulator at the Rv Water Filter Store- http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ .

I have been particularly pleased with the quality of their hoses, which can be ordered in any custom length.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #6

Thankfully, my wife has said that bigger isn't better!

Now, to the OP about hoses....
You will be fine with the smaller hose, though you might notice a slight difference in water volume if you are using the shower and sink galley sink at the same time...but more than likely, it won't be a problem.

You might want to keep a couple of hoses....I've got a 25' (3/4") that I use if I'm close enough to the connection at the CG. Also have a 50' (1/2") for wash-downs and such, but can use it in-line with the 25' if needed.
PapPappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMO, smaller diameter is better for ease of handling. As stated earlier, your coach plumbing is normally smaller than your hose anyway, so flow will not be an issue. As with power cords, smaller diameters are easier to coil and handle.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
IMO, smaller diameter is better for ease of handling. As stated earlier, your coach plumbing is normally smaller than your hose anyway, so flow will not be an issue. As with power cords, smaller diameters are easier to coil and handle.
But a smaller power cord can be quite expensive in the end.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
But a smaller power cord can be quite expensive in the end.
If you want to take issue with what I stated, why not post something that makes sense ?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: Hose size and wire size are really good analogs of each other. Most of you are probably familiar with Ohm's law which says that the voltage drop (or water pressure drop) is equal to the currrent (water flow) times the total resistance. If you use a small wire (or small hose) the resistance is higher and two things will happen: The voltage (or pressure) will be less and the current (or water flow) will also be less.

It has been stated that the smallest diameter determines the flow rate and that is only approximately true if this restrictioin overshadows all others. What is really important is the total restriction.

From a practical point of view, smaller diameter hoses are not normally a problem unless the available water pressure is very small or the hose is really long. The only time you would even sense a difference is when filling the tank, and then it would take a little longer.

Small power cords on the other hand can cause damage. If the total voltage drop results in less than about 110 volts that can cause problems, especially with A/C units.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:58 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
If you want to take issue with what I stated, why not post something that makes sense ?
Dands, I think he means with a 'smaller' power cord, you are probably ampere limited (eg a AWG14 only rated for 15 amp, while your moho has 30 amp capability. You could overload the smaller cable and if the breaker doesn't protect, then melting/fire could result on the smaller cable. It has happened.
No offense, just facts

cheers

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamdave View Post
Dands, I think he means with a 'smaller' power cord, you are probably ampere limited (eg a AWG14 only rated for 15 amp, while your moho has 30 amp capability. You could overload the smaller cable and if the breaker doesn't protect, then melting/fire could result on the smaller cable. It has happened.
No offense, just facts

cheers
No offense taken ! Guess this is a good example of how these threads get off topic. The subject was about hoses, not electrical cables. I used an analogy of cord relative to hose, and all of a sudden, I'm quoted and the statement is made about electrical cords. Oh well, guess it comes with the territory on these forums. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
DandS
You stated in your post about smaller electrical cords easier to coil and handle, not Ray,IN He made a comment about the danger of undersize electrical cords.
Yes, that's how easy it is to get off topic and it happens all the time.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #14

DandS, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, sorry. I was trying to point out that while a smaller water hose only results in reduced flow, a smaller electrical supply cord can result in burned plugs, over-heated motors, fires, etc., with the end result being potentially quite expensive. Have you ever noticed it's much easier to hold a discussion in person than by written word? I sure have.