Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #15
Many of these threads around, and I have a few minutes this time to post my thoughts on these.

First, they are not "warranties", they are pre paid service contracts.

Second, these companies are in business because (a) they pay out less than they take in (and / or, b) they are paying out at a lesser rate the they take in (kind of like a ponzi scheme)

They are also in many ways like Las Vegas, except you are betting against yourself. Las Vegas does not exist because more money leaves town than comes into it, neither do service contract providers.

Las Vegas, and these service contracts providers, play upon the notoriety of the few big winners, while the vast majority of people are losers or break even at best, and are ignored. With service contracts you always hear about the people who made out, but seldom you you hear about the majority that loose out over the long run.

With a service contact, since you are betting to loose, the contract proably has a 1/2 page of what they will pay for and pages explaining in great legalese what they will not pay for, which is of course how they make thier money.

The other nasty part is that many times these companies take a long time to pay out (that cash flow game) and / or pay a lesser rate for repairs than the shop normally makes, so your shop is not happy, and either puts you at the end of the line, puts thier most inexperienced people on your repair, and or simply does not honor the service provider because of all the hassles (more of the manufacturers are taking this route at thier factory service centers). The other part of the hassle for shops is they get to be the one to tell the customer the bad news, and take the heat from the customer.

With regards to the manufacturers not honoring service contracts at the factory repair centers, who can blame them? Fixing things under the real factory warranty and managing customer expectations / satisfaction is one thing, but they are in a no win senario with service contracts......

First is the cash flow game. Then, quite a bit of what comes in under factory warranty is based on the customer simply not knowing how to use it, or something the customer flat out broke themselves (wether they realize it or not) because they didn't know how to use it in the first place. Beleive me, the techs have a pretty good idea of what workmanship gets by in the factory, and things they see fail commonly due to the build process and they also know pretty well what a customer screwed up themselves, but in most cases, the factory sucks it up to please the customer.

But, if the problem falls outside the factory warranty period and the customer brings it to the factory service center, with a service contract and they think they will be getting "free repairs" but the service provider will not cover it, the factory either sucks it up and does it just to keep the customer happy and not have to deal with it any more, or they become the bad guy......

On the other hand, as much as I do not like any sort of service contract, when we were looking at buying our first RV, one of the costs we budgeted against a used unit was indeed a service contract since you assume all the risk otherwise. We bought new, and did not purchase an extended service agreement........

2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA, 24k chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Just know that it is insurance.

You will have lots of guys telling you that it is not worth it; you won't recover your costs. To me that's good because it means you didn't have many problems. I'm also glad that I have never recovered costs from the fire and flood insurance policies on my house.

On the other hand, even a "stand-up" looking RV can have problems. I bought a used Winnebago with low mileage, lightly used, etc. But leveling jack problems and a few small items resulted in me coming out on the plus side of my policy with three years to go.

It's a crap-shoot. Just understand what is being covered. From my experience, a policy that lists what is not covered is generally easier to figure out than one that lists what is covered.

Don Simmons
2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V Pushed by a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva
Visit us at Travels With Linda
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
It's all about the numbers, another poster used the term cash flow. These warranty companies know what the probability of something failing and the cost. They balance this with the number of policies they have, and I would guess they have it broken down by Manufacturer, Model, and Year.

In addition, the wording in the contracts are very precise in what they cover with exclusions that cover their butts.

Couple this with wording as to how you are suppose to file a claim and the hoops the service people have to jump through to address a claim the way they are suppose to make it unlikely that the claim will be paid.

We went through warranty scenario's while I was in an MBA program, the professor wad pretty comical as to the probabilities of the average consumer making out >>>> they didn't. Companies have very smart people that crunch the numbers to come up with "warranty" costs versus what they will pay out. The Companies seldom loose money on warranties.

Personally I do not take warranties unless I suspect a potential problem. We recently purchased a HP printer that failed under the standard warranty, after some research it appeared it was a common problem. HP replaced the printer and at the time offered a warranty which I didn't buy. Soon after they came back with another offer of warranty much cheaper, I went ahead and purchases. The cost of the warranty was less then a ink cartridge change so I thought it was a decent "gamble" which exactly what a warranty is.

Are you feeling lucky "Punk".
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #18
You said you have or are going to have a Montana trailer, not a MH, right?
i would not recommend buying an ESC on a towable, at least until the factory warranty expires; but I would not be without an ESC on a MH. My current ESC is about to expire, I paid $4,800 for it and to-date it has paid out nearly $5,200 for covered repairs. I plan to buy another ASAP.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote