Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

Is Good Sams more popular down south?

I am a Good Sams member and part of the benefits is suppose to be a discount on fuel at Pilot gas stations. However I recently filled up at a station just into Michigan from Ohio and the teller (oh wait cashier seemed like I was making a huge withdraw) anyways she looked at me like I showed her an Official James Bond spy ID.
She said she never heard of it and wasnt willing to give any discount. So just wondered if Good Sam is more common down south or maybe it was just this particular station
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #2

Some Pilot/FJ stations are independent retailers and don't have to honor the card. You can check on the Pilot/FJ web site for corp locations.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

I can understand not honoring it but i've had a couple campgrounds and this gas station act like they never heard of Good Sam.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are a good sams member you need to go to the good sams club web site and log in. Under benefits you should find the flying J Pilot information. You sign up for a card and then swipe your card and enter your pin. You get billed each month like a normal gas card. I use mine all the time. As a lifetime good sams member I believe it is a 6 cent saving per gallon on gas.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmiller32 View Post
You sign up for a card and then swipe your card and enter your pin. You get billed each month like a normal gas card. I use mine all the time.
So, is this an actual gas credit card? I'm a new Sam's member and still trying to figure out how that works.
empty_nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
go here and read up on it:
Pilot RV Plus

much discussion about the discount as some get it and some don't...

In my travels thru the South I've found that while they MAY give u a discount @ the truck lanes, they won't give u a receipt and the price is usually 30 cents per gallon higher than the local stations... YRMV, that's just my personal findings...
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #7

I have used it and generally have little or no problems other that a lot of locations don't seem to know much about it but have never run across a place that wouldn't honor it.

For me, if it is convienient I use it but don't go out of my way.
stormrider54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Sam member card is not what you need, Check the links above.

Been using my card for a while, not always cheaper than the cheapo down the street but never had a problem or stale fuel. I do use the truck lanes however and never found one I couldn't get in or out of.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #9

New Horizons Owners Club
The Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card has been a huge deal. I remember when the program first kicked off, you filled out an application and then waited 10 or 12 weeks to get the card. The program was so popular that they had a backlog that lasted nearly a year.

But once you got it, the 6 cents a gallon on diesel was worth the wait. And, you could get discounts on purchases in the store (sometimes). It is also convienent because it does not shut the pump off after $75 or $100 dollars like a credit card does. You can take on a 100 gallons with just the swipe of the card and never even go inside. I have never noticed a premium on their pump price over anyone elses of more than 5 to 7 cents. But those lower priced places were not accessible when I had the trailer in tow.

I have used the RV Plus card in the Southeast, up through the foot of Lake Michigan, across to the east side of The Rockies, and as far south as I-10 in Texas. Every pump took the card and every cashier knew what it was (when I made inside purchases).
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
RV Trip Wizard
Does anyone know if any of the other RV/Truck stations, e.g. Loves, Travel America, etc. offer any type of fuel discounts?
0nTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Generally no. Love's has had a couple RV discount programs from time to time, and used to have one with Good Sam, but I think it has ended.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We went to one where they did the same thing "Never heard of it" type deal. Thing was the pamphlet for it was right by the register!!!! We pulled it out and pointed out the information. Then we called not only Good Sam but Pilot/Flying J corporate office for that reason and other reasons like the diesel not shutting off and leaking everywhere. They were not happy to hear about one of their places doing all the things we let them know about. We did get our discount thou and the people at the register got in trouble, alot, from corporate.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use my Costco AMEX which gives me a 3% discount on fuel anywhere AMEX is accepted. Diesel is about $4.25 a gallon here in WA so that saves me 12 cents a gallon depending on the price. I find that is about as good as I can get. I am considering joining the Good Sam Club, I find it strange some of these places have never heard of it. I knew about Good Sam when I was 5 but then again, my dad has always been a member.

Oh, look at that. This is my first post here... joined a while back but didn't realize I never posted.

Darren
Old 02-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #14

As others have noted, you shouldn't even have to deal with the cashier. You simply swipe the card, enter your PIN, and the discount is automatically applied at the pump. One thing to note about an earlier post that referred to the card as a credit card: it is not a credit card, it is a charge card. The difference is you have to pay the balance in full every month. To me, in addition to the discount, an equally great feature is that I can fill my 75 gallon tank with one swipe instead of having the pump shut off repeatedly.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote