Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 04:19 AM   #15

Por-15

Rust Paint - Rust Proofing Products - Rust Protection - Corrosion Control - Eastwood
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #16

I bought some cheap tarps and place them under the mh to keep the moisture from coming up. I also place plastic over the boards on which the tires rest.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:19 AM   #17

Thanks guys for that information. I priced the gravel today and they told me $35.00 per ton and a $40.00 delivery fee. I told them l was doing a 8x30 area and they said it will take about 2 1/2 tons if l go 2" deep. I think that's is a pretty good price. Does that 2 1/2 tons seem about right, or should l get 3 tons to be on the safe side? I am calling next week to get a price on the asphalt.
jeep2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2001 View Post
Thanks guys for that information. I priced the gravel today and they told me $35.00 per ton and a $40.00 delivery fee. I told them l was doing a 8x30 area and they said it will take about 2 1/2 tons if l go 2" deep. I think that's is a pretty good price. Does that 2 1/2 tons seem about right, or should l get 3 tons to be on the safe side? I am calling next week to get a price on the asphalt.
35 a ton is fair,,,, 40 is dirt cheap for delivery

but the 2 1/2 ton ... I was quoted 20 ton for twice the size area... 8x60

and my quote.. is from a guy that has done my driveway several times.
and lives 2 doors away. and his trucks can carry 10 ton easy.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #19

a ton will roughly do 240 sq ft 1" deep. Personally.....I would go deeper than 2" especially on a new pour. When I do even my gravel drive I go 3" deep and it's an established drive. So if it were me I would do a solid 3 ton.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For my 5th wheeler, I put down a 6" layer of compacted base course (a gravel, sand & clay mix) and inset an array of cement drive pavers for the wheels and landing gears. I also place two 14" x 14" x 6" wood block under the landing gear pads, mostly just as a height filler. I live in the semi-arid region of Santa Fe, NM and don't really worry much about ground moisture coming up. But, I want to keep the wheels and anything touching the ground, off direct contact with the ground. I've been thinking about getting a stable pad as described above for said reasons.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #21

Thanks guys, I was thinking 3 ton to be on the safe side. Now maybe 3 1/2 or 4 tons might be better. I am calling some blacktop companies tomorrow to get a price on that.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Depending upon how compacted your sub base (dirt) is you should be placing about 5 - 6 " of well graded crushed gravel to build a solid base for your motorhome. 2 - 3" will be OK but will push into the sub base.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:18 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Gravel would be better than dirt, asphalt or concrete would be much better than gravel.

Moisture percolating up from the ground directly under the MH will condense on the underside of the MH. Whatever you can do to reduce that moisture will help.

If you lay a tarp down, it needs to be able to drain so it won't collect moisture and aggravate the problem. A tarp with water laying on it will be considerable worst than sitting on dirt.

Asphalt may be your least expensive option, but you need a good base to support the weight i.e. a 3-4 inch layer of packet gravel and a two inch layer of asphalt.

NOTE - We looked at a 15 year old MH in Michigan that sat its entire life on a parking spot at a lake (gravel) The interior was like new, When I climbed underneath, I could punch a hole through the frame with a screwdriver it was badly rusted.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:49 AM   #24

FWIW when we put in a pad last year the spec was 8-10 inches of stone. 2 -3 inches sounds too light. That is about what we put under a new garden shed.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:53 PM   #25

Carolina Campers
$35 a ton for gravel is very high and so you are getting it from like a landscaper I take it.

Ok I am bit country so we deal in agriculture often (we have horses ourselves) but with my new TT I am putting down crush and run $420 for 20 tons delievered (one load for the dump). Quarrys are around and get their prices so then look around find someone who does agriculture drives and such. It is a side job for our guys. You should not be paying no more than about $25 a ton, but that is here in NC. I have seen it at $18 a ton, now this all crush and run. Put that down first, that is all I put down.

I have had or have a few trailers (not TT) never had rust to the underside. I will watch my TT
Old 09-26-2016, 11:45 PM   #26

Yes that price for the stone is from a landscaper. I had the blacktop man come out today and he will have the estimate for me this week. I had another idea about 2' x 2' patio blocks from Menards. Could l just put these blocks on top of the dirt l could even put a tarp or plastic underneath the block to help stop moisture coming up from the ground. Would that idea work? Thanks Mike
Old 09-27-2016, 12:04 AM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that the psi from the tires on those 2 x 2 ft blocks will just break them into small pieces. Its hard to get the base under blocks that large compacted and leveled evenly enough to support the weight, esp. on dirt. Dirt will move and shift with water and freezing temps. I used 12 x 12" blocks, doubled layered them using an off-set pattern on top of 6" compacted base course and they still have cracked in places, many are still intact. I created a 3 x 5 ft. area under the tandem axles. As the wheels roll across the blocks considerable pressure is applied to the block's edge before the wheel gets somewhat centered on the block, that's when they seem to break. But at times the wheels will be parked on a blocks edge. A cheap and quick solution, but far from ideal.

I have a 14,000+ lb. 5th wheeler. I plan on pulling those blocks out and pouring a 6" layer of concrete with #5 rebar on a 6" grid pattern for both the tires and landing gear pads.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #28

I would also think that asphalt will develop dips in it where the tires rest.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote