Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
6 - 8 " of well graded compacted gravel on a compacted sub base will hold 3" of asphalt and give you a reasonable surface. Laying boards under the tires to distribute the weight will help prolong the life of the asphalt under the tires, keep it from "dipping".

When I built the shed we put in three feet of clay compacted in 4 - 6" lifts and then placed 15" of gravel. Eventually we may remove enough gravel to lay a 6" of concrete. I originally planned on about 5" of removal but over time the entire floor has settled a couple inches, a bit more than I expected. The result is the concrete will be sitting on about 12" of gravel. I have created drains so the gravel is not sitting in a clay "swimming pool".

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #30

I have a pad made from recycled black top, it's about 10in. Thick have had it for two seasons now it works great drains well I do also keep all tires off when it's going to be parked more than a couple weeks.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:03 PM   #31

Thanks for that information, l will wait and see what the blacktop estimate is for. I might have to do gravel for this year. Just wondering if I do gravel would I have to rent on compactor to compact the stone down?
Old 09-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nah, just wheel roll it with your pick-up! And just do what you can afford this year, and when you need to add more rock later you can! I would still get some landscape pavers, and inset them where your wheels sit!

The proper way to do it will cost a lot, that would be digging down 10" or so, to remove the dirt, putting down 3" size stone first, compact that by wheel rolling, then smaller stone, wheel rolling that in, and use for a year, then add more smaller stone as needed! But you are not going to be parking a semi on it either, so, do what you can, when you can, as funds are available!

I made two parking drives at my house in the country in Central Illinois, for my semi truck and trailer, and they both held up well with the freeze/thaw, One I used ground up asphalt as a base, one I used the 3" stone, then road pack, and they both held up well, and I added rock as it needed, more to the ground up asphalt base over time than the 3" stone as a base!

Hope this info helps you with your decision! Rail!
Old 09-27-2016, 11:43 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Entertaining....

Quite!!!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:12 PM   #34

Thanks guardrail53 for all that information. I thinks the gravel idea with the pavers is the solution for this year. The blacktop guy also said the grass in the backyard would get really damaged with a lot of ruts with all the trucks going in and out of the yard.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #35
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
I would also think that asphalt will develop dips in it where the tires rest.
I had an asphalt drive put in about 8 years ago. It was put in where my gravel drive had been for at least 40 years. There were years of road fill down. They scraped of the loose stuff and then installed the asphalt.

I park my mini van and 4 door vehicle in the same spot. It only took a couple years to develop a dip and now its quite deep.

What my neighbors have done and what I plan on doing is cut out the top layer of asphalt, dig down a bit, and fill with concrete.

I can't imagine what the weight from my motor home would do without a properly prepared base.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
One of the issues it the asphalt itself. Some of the suppliers may use a "softer" asphalt. They use a high penetration oil with a rating close to 300. The advantage is it is cheaper as well as it does not develop as many cracks due to its higher flow properties. As well the granular material may contain more sand than coarse aggregate with a low fracture count. Asphalt content may also be on the lower end. All of these factors can contribute to a surface that is more easily "moved" under pressure.

Parking your unit on a pad to distribute the weight across a larger surface will reduce the amount and speed of the dips forming.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #37

The asphalt we put down was used highway stuff, dry as a bone put right over wild grass and Texas clay which expands a lot. After 3 seasons cannot see any food where tires set or that it is driven over. We did compact it real well driving the farm all over it as each of the layers was spread. It is about 10 inches thick 12 ft wide and 40 ft long. Had heavy rains and flooding in our area last two seasons. Can't believe how well it s held up. I do have 1and 1/2 x 2 foot square sheets of plywood under the wheels.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #38

That's one and one half inch plywood by two foot square for above post.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:21 PM   #39

My brother installed something like this for his RV parking pad. He chose to fill with sand and soil and planted grass. I'm thinking of doing the same only using sand and small gravel. He has parked his 6,000 pound trailer on it for weeks at a time. I've had my 15,000 pound 5er on it for a week. No need for anything under the landing gear or rear stabilizers.

https://www.truegridpaver.com/produc...grid-pro-plus/
Old 09-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Entertaining....
Yup, Me Too!!