Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems to be average book value.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos
ok we found a 2001 fleetwood discovery 37U its got the cat c7 330hp with allison six speed, its got six new tires (just installed last week) and four house batterys (last week as well) its white with some gray strips, two slides one in the front and one in the back and we can get that for $40,000.00 do you guys think its a good deal or not? My friend doesn't think that its such a good deal I think its a good deal, the all coach looks very clean in pictures and its got a washer and dryer as well with a tv out side and more things. what do you guys think about this deal? thanks Joe
You did not mention the miles, but if it is reasonable miles, it sounds like it is worth looking at. We paid a little more than that for a 40 ft Holiday Rambler with 37,000 miles. The roof and ceiling were perfect, it was one owner, so I negotiated and took it because it was well maintained.

It sounds like a good starting point, and if you know anything about RV'S and can have it inspected, it's worth taking a look at.

Now, if It has 150-200k miles on it, that's a different story.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #31

I'm sorry I should have posted the miles, it's got 50,000 miles
Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

That's around the going price, or maybe a bit on the low side, depending on condition and the local market. If you can get a diesel pusher in nice condition for around $40k, I'd say it is well worth considering. The new tires are a big plus cause big RV tires are very expensive these days - probably around $2400 for that coach.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #33
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
That would be a steal if it was in Canada. I've looked! That coach would be in the low $50's up here.

I don't know why more Amercian's don't advertise up here when selling. They'd get a better buck for their rigs.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
That would be a steal if it was in Canada. I've looked! That coach would be in the low $50's up here.

I don't know why more Amercian's don't advertise up here when selling. They'd get a better buck for their rigs.
I agree Dogpatch. For us Canadians, it is definitely worth the trip to the US to pick up a MH. We just purchased our '99 Chieftain from a dealer in MA. We found it on ebay. The dealer had a 100% feedback rating and a top rating with the BBB. The MH had 47K miles on it and was a repro out of Georgia. All of the history and documentation came with it and I have every service receipt. It is in excellent condition and very clean and well cared for. The price was less than half of what I could have purchased the unit here in Canada. If I was 20 years younger I would be importing some of these units into Canada for resale....you could make a decent living for sure
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #35
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
I agree Dogpatch. For us Canadians, it is definitely worth the trip to the US to pick up a MH. We just purchased our '99 Chieftain from a dealer in MA. We found it on ebay. The dealer had a 100% feedback rating and a top rating with the BBB. The MH had 47K miles on it and was a repro out of Georgia. All of the history and documentation came with it and I have every service receipt. It is in excellent condition and very clean and well cared for. The price was less than half of what I could have purchased the unit here in Canada. If I was 20 years younger I would be importing some of these units into Canada for resale....you could make a decent living for sure
Hey Binnie,

I just bought a 2003 HR Rambler out of Oregon. Possibly didn't get quite the same deal as you, but I figure I saved about $20,000 from what I see the same rig for up here.

The deals are definitely Stateside! You just need to shop.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quite a few people may upside down on there loans and can't really afford to take less then what they might owe. In this case a dealer may be a little better situation. PPL MOtorhomes site is always a good one to look at. Quite a few dealers also place ads on craigslist and Ebay. Good luck in your search hope he can find a good one.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
The price was less than half of what I could have purchased the unit here in Canada. If I was 20 years younger I would be importing some of these units into Canada for resale....you could make a decent living for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Hey Binnie,

I just bought a 2003 HR Rambler out of Oregon. Possibly didn't get quite the same deal as you, but I figure I saved about $20,000 from what I see the same rig for up here.

The deals are definitely Stateside! You just need to shop.

I spoke to some Canadians here in the park and I have been told it is difficult to purchase large items in the states and bring them back home due to customs.
What was your experience?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #38
FJJ

I looked for 7 months and finally purchased my coach 28% less than NADA low book value. It's 2006 Monaco Dynasty. And yes there are a lot of phony ads espically in RV Classifieds for MH way under valued. These are crooks trying to get your $'s on a deposit. I gave several of the ads to the FBI Fraud Unit. Anyway my point is, if you look long enough and make many offers, you will get what you want at a price you want to pay. Good Luck and I hope you have many years of fun on the road!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
I spoke to some Canadians here in the park and I have been told it is difficult to purchase large items in the states and bring them back home due to customs.
John, importing a MH into Canada is no different than importing a car. If the vehicle is less than 15 years old it must be entered into Canada's RIV program before it can be registered for the road. That is more or less to insure that the vehicle meets Canada's safety standards. We have to pay the same taxes as we would as if we were buying it here in Canada. It is not a problem at all as long as you have all the paperwork and follow all the import procedures.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #40
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Hi John, I'm just about to go through my first Stateside purchase next Thursday.

I'm going through a customs broker, so they do all the paperwork and have everything ready for me at the border.

The hardest part of any of this is weeding through the crap, the scammers and overpriced coaches to find that "Gem" at a price point you can live with.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
ok we found a 2001 fleetwood discovery 37U its got the cat c7 330hp with allison six speed, its got six new tires (just installed last week) and four house batterys (last week as well) its white with some gray strips, two slides one in the front and one in the back and we can get that for $40,000.00 do you guys think its a good deal or not? My friend doesn't think that its such a good deal I think its a good deal, the all coach looks very clean in pictures and its got a washer and dryer as well with a tv out side and more things. what do you guys think about this deal? thanks Joe
My parent have the 03' Fleetwood Excursion pusher which is a step or two below the Discovery. 2 years ago they were quoted 30k as a trade value on a new coach. They laughed at the salesman....

Two weeks ago I sold my 05' tt which I had listed on Craigslist for $10,900 for $8500. I have a purchase order on a new tt which I was going to get $6500 trade. I had it written into the contract I could sell it myself anytime before I pick up the new tt. The tt was very clean and well above average condition.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #42

Ok we fanally closed the deal at $40,000.00 here is the link for the pictures for the rv, let me know what you guys think. Thanks Joe
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...scovery%2037U/