Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #1

Is it a buyers market???

I'm helping a friend look for a used Rv but there are no good deals out there I tought that the economy the way it is and the price of gas prices out there would be a lot better, it's crazy how much money some people ask for rv's, my friend wants to buy from a private seller instead a dealer he feels that he might get a better deal, any body know of anything for sale out there (class a) diesel preference but if it's a nice gas unit at a good price he will buy it, thanks. Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What age MH is your friend looking for and what does he call a "good deal"?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #3

There is alot of good deals just gotta look in the right spots for instance kijiji.com is an online classifieds. I shop it all the time and bought alot off it. But you gotta know about what u are looking at before buying.
Cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the economy in the tank and gas prices going out of sight again there is always deals around, some better than others. There is a difference in a deal and someone just wanting to give their RV away. Value of anything is always what a buyer is willing to pay for an item that a seller is willing to sell for. There are many good deals across the country it is just a matter if the buyer thinks it is a good deal for him.
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tried PPL Motorhome consignments.
I have seen some good deals and it's not like prices at a dealer.
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
I'm helping a friend look for a used Rv but there are no good deals out there I tought ....
Check Craigslist for your area. I have seen good deals there every time I looked. Always cheaper than the local dealers.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #7

I've bought a 40' Sportscoach and a 42' Travel Supreme off eBay. There were no surprises on either coach, other than the poor build quality of the Sportscoach. Both came from dealers and both were GREAT deals.
asodergren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #8

Everyday, for the next 15yrs, 10,000 babyboomers will retire.... In addition, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2/3 trillion dollars will also be inherited by this group! I''m betting that a few of these people do not really care about the current economy and that some of them will be purchasing MH's!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinboy View Post
There is alot of good deals just gotta look in the right spots for instance kijiji.com is an online classifieds. I shop it all the time and bought alot off it. But you gotta know about what u are looking at before buying.
Yes, the deals are out there, but, especially at a dealer's, you have to ask for them. I was personally told by a dealer (the owner) that everything is priced high, his exact words were, "I can come down, but I can't go up."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes the deals are out there but you do have to look for them. I drove myself crazy using the NADA guide which I found to be way under value compared to real life. We may have paid more for ours than the average price but we were content with what we got. The mileage wasn't excessive. Maintenance records were very complete. We knew the number of previous owners and even called them. The interior and exterior seem well above average. Yes you could probably find the same one for less but you may have to put time and money into it. I'm not so naive to believe that we won't spend a dime on it but we knew going into it that there would be no initial "Oh crap .. what did we get ourselves into?" If you are content with the asking price and you are sure of what you are buying, then financially it is probably a good deal. To the next shopper it may be a terrible deal. make yourself happy.

There is a way to do an expanded search on Craigslist also. You can set in a few different parameters such as distance from your zip code, pictures only and price. I personally do not bother with anything on Craigslist that doesn't offer at least one picture.

SearchTempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist

Good luck

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a classified section on this forum and on the Tiffin RV Network forum that have a wide selection of for sale by owner motorhomes. I suspect RV Net has same.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Check Craigslist for your area. I have seen good deals there every time I looked. Always cheaper than the local dealers.
ironically my local dealers use CL as their own advertising space. They must place 100 ads daily.

Ebay and PPL are good places to start. Then RV trader, etc
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out post #1 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/too-g...ml#post1100912
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
2008, 35', slide outs .... $15,500. Ummmm .... yeah far to good to be true!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote