Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 05:27 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I could see that when the economy is on an uptick, places like CW loose some of their employees. Trouble is, the CW in Indy has been pretty bad since Marcus bought the old Stout's RV store years ago. Won't get service done there any more. I tied a couple times in the past, but they were not able to help in either case.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #16

Camping world appears to be suffering from bottom line focus. Stores are understaffed to the point of not being able to answer the phone. Doing things right the first time seems to be a foreign concept as my local store always gets it right the second time. The people I deal with at CW are nice people but always seem to be in a hurry. It concerns me that CW is buying up many of the better independents that have good reputations. I'm going to be real interested in how the transition of Tom Johnson's camping center in Charlotte is affected by the buyout.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
While I've had good results when I go into CW here in Fort Worth for sales or service, I did test drive one of their motorhomes and could not believe they would dare take a potential sale out in that p.o. junk

It rattled and banged before we got out of the parking lot! much less on the road ! and this was a brand new one... but as I got more knowledgeable on class a's I did learn more about Itasca motorhomes So maybe it wasn't the dealer ?!?
Old 08-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #18

Never been to one of their stores, but anytime I want to order from them on-line, I find it way cheaper elsewhere.

Last weekend I lost the outside door off the hot water heater. CW had it on line (supposedly on sale). Before ordering, I did a little searching and found it on Amazon for $20 less AND free shipping.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I would never consider having any work done at any CW based on my experience with the store in Roanoke, Va and the general crappy reputation CW has on this and other RV related websites.

We have been in a few CW stores that were well stocked and well staffed with helpful folks. The new store in Coburg, OR was such a store. Everyone there was helpful and store was well stocked.... it was a newly opened store however.

The store on 544 at Myrtle Beach, SC is another that is always well stocked and staffed.
I agree on both the Roanoke store and the Myrtle Beach store.

To the OP, I think the Winchester store is going to close at some point. The last time I was there (about four months ago), they had no units for sale, and their store stock was very depleted. I got no help at all, and found the product I was looking for by walking all over the store.

I order a lot of things (parts, accessories, camping gear, towing parts) on Amazon, HitchSource and Adventure RV. You can find almost everything on Amazon!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:43 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camping World in Valencia, Ca , is one that I try and shop at. If it is an off the shelf item they at OK. If they have to order the part or phone you,they are terrible. I think Ol' Marcus has fallen down on the job. It's one thing to amass an Empire, it quite another to keep it going.
Apparently there is no one checking on how these places are being run. Too bad. They are a great place for RV stuff.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:29 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This thread is similar to others on the subject of Camping World, experiences there are hit or miss. I'm guessing the "hits" are usually in markets where the store has been there for a long time and they've had time to develop an experienced and competent staff.

I think it's a great concept, being able to address all your RV wants and needs in one location, but something seems to get lost in translation.

I think they may be expanding too fast, for one. Ask any shop what their number one challenge is and no doubt you'll be told how difficult it is to find and keep experienced and qualified help. If there aren't enough of these people to go around no doubt Camping World has to "manufacture" them (hire and train people with zero experience). The attrition rate of this type of hire tends to be very high, in any business, and those that do hang around long enough to be worth something are often poached away by another competitor.

Prices need to be at least competitive, if not the lowest (convenience is worth something), common items have to be in stock and your employees need to have the proper training, experience and temperament for long term success. Right now none of that is a given when you visit your local CW. Camping World is a last resort for us and will remain so until the "hits" start to significantly outnumber the misses.

As a side note, we were very sad to see Camping World buy out one of our favorite dealers, Tom Johnson's. So far I've seen no positive results from that acquisition.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #22

I went to the Camping World store in Hamburg, NY on Sunday. I was looking for propane for a cook stove. They didn't have the long thin containers even though they sold the stoves that use this type. Not one customer in the store. To add to the dead look and feel of the store there was a sign on the door that said the dealership was under new management, whatever that may mean.

I realize that this store must have a devil of a time being competitive with four other dealers within a five mile radius, but they are never going to be competitive with nothing to sell.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Camping World in Valencia, Ca , is one that I try and shop at. If it is an off the shelf item they at OK. If they have to order the part or phone you,they are terrible. I think Ol' Marcus has fallen down on the job. It's one thing to amass an Empire, it quite another to keep it going.
Apparently there is no one checking on how these places are being run. Too bad. They are a great place for RV stuff.
I am going there next Tuesday to get a ceiling vent fixed under warranty (they are an authorized Winnebago repair shop). I've had nothing but good experiences with the Valencia store. Hopefully, those will continue through next week.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
I am going there next Tuesday to get a ceiling vent fixed under warranty (they are an authorized Winnebago repair shop). I've had nothing but good experiences with the Valencia store. Hopefully, those will continue through next week.

I'm glad to hear that you have had good experiences with them. My only issues are customer service issues for things that are not " off the shelf" items. For those things they have to bring in they are totally inept. Never get a call back, never know if it came in, never can find it ! And all of this is AFTER they got a new manager.
All of that being said, I'm glad we have them and are close by.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
I agree, some of their stores seem to be well run. Others seem to have an "attitude" problem- generally speaking, poorly paid people are not happy people. I think that is the problem with Camping World.
They have bought out a lot of mom and pop stores lately. So some of the problems are probably the old employees that are there do not like the way the new company wants to run things as in profit motivated. In some M&P stores the workers are on a very loose leash if any at all. So if Bubba has to much shine at the party last night he may come in until 10 or noon, if he comes in at all. But some M&P's accept that as he may be kin or the son of a good friend. Where as CW won't put up with that very long.

As far as inventory goes that is the store managers responsibility plain and simple.

Here is a quote from JMONROE above:"As a side note, we were very sad to see Camping World buy out one of our favorite dealers, Tom Johnson's. So far I've seen no positive results from that acquisition."

This is an example of what happens. Tom was a good old boy and ran the store as such. I heard his son in law talking to a customer on the phone one day while I was in his office and the customer was complaining that his used camper that he had bought there less than a year ago was only six years old and needed the roof resealed and it was going to cost him $1,200. So it went back and forth a few minutes and Tim said to the guy "what would you like me to do?" The guy must have said "fix the roof " for free because Tim said "if I do that are you going to be happy?" They fixed the roof for the guy for free.

I can tell you that isn't happening there now. And it shouldn't. Maybe for a good customer give them an internal rate on the parts and labor but not free.

That store has changed a lot in less than a year.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #26

I have found that the quality of customer service in CW has taken a nose-dive lately. One example was just this week - We went to one of the Central Florida locations because there was a rechargeable vacuum on sale. I had been debating ordering it on-line from another company but the CW price was $10 better so I called the store and they offered to put one on hold for me. The next morning we walked into a totally empty store - no other customers around at all and the parking lot was empty. We looked at a motorhome on the showroom floor and then walked up to the cash register to inquire about where we get our "on-hold" item. The girl was playing on her phone just like she was when we entered the store. She said she had to go to the backroom to get our item. However, she said we had to wait because there was another customer s-l-o-w-l-y walking up from the back of the store with one item in her hand and she was the only cashier in the store.

So we waited and waited for the lady to get up front only to listen to her complaint about how she came in for 3 items and only one was in stock. I finally decided to just go get the one vacuum that was on the shelf and get out of there but the cashier said she would take care of us in just a moment. After a lengthy conversation with the other lady, the cashier finally decided to walk to the backroom and get our item. Fifteen minutes later she came out with our item and several alternate items for the other lady. Do you think she would ring us up since we were there first, NO, she had to have another lengthy talk with the lady. Meanwhile there were 4 staff members standing at the parts counter with no customers and they were just watching because it was very obvious that I was not a happy camper.

Finally we got out of there and once again, swore we would never go to that store again. The last time we were in this location, we came home with our MH missing a very expensive flashlight after getting some service work done. Needless to say, we are done with Camper World.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I'm glad to hear that you have had good experiences with them. My only issues are customer service issues for things that are not " off the shelf" items. For those things they have to bring in they are totally inept. Never get a call back, never know if it came in, never can find it ! And all of this is AFTER they got a new manager.
All of that being said, I'm glad we have them and are close by.
Since I bought my new MH earlier this year, I have ordered online a lot of stuff from them. I haven't had a problem.

I had to call customer service once, but that was on a minor thing and they handled it just fine. I must be lucky.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Camping world appears to be suffering from bottom line focus. Stores are understaffed to the point of not being able to answer the phone. Doing things right the first time seems to be a foreign concept as my local store always gets it right the second time. The people I deal with at CW are nice people but always seem to be in a hurry. It concerns me that CW is buying up many of the better independents that have good reputations. I'm going to be real interested in how the transition of Tom Johnson's camping center in Charlotte is affected by the buyout.
I think i 've already heard horror stories from there

Santara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping