Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
Is it just me, or has Camping world gotten worse lately

Went to the local CW in Winchester, Va last week and they had nothing that I needed. New 3" waste gate, new clear straight sewer section and a couple of other standard items were out of stock. Went to talk to someone at checkout and the only employee there said she was new and didn't even have a sign on for the computer. She directed us to the service desk where one guy was trying to run the whole store. At that point we walked. Sent a complaint on their website with no response. A friend just had their rig at another CW for a month to get a dozen things repaired under warranty. Only 4 items repaired after a month. Went to the corporate website and all I see are complaints with no responses. If this is a systemic problem I don't think Marcus should have a TV show where he is telling people how to fix their business.

Shawn M.
2011 Fleetwood Expedition
2014 Chevy Traverse
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 08:25 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
CW has definitely had its ups and downs the last few years and I agree that Marcus shouldn't be telling other folks how to run their businesses until he cleans up his own.

As far as comments and complaints, I had an accessories order problem earlier this year and posted it on a 'Camping World-Dear Marcus' thread on rv.net. Finally got results but it was mostly the efforts of the local Camping World manager that got the job done.

Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Rexhall Owners Group
Same here in Bartow, Florida. Never have what I need and if they do they have only 1. Trying to get customer help in there is impossible. I go to the store to look at what I want, they sometimes have a display and order from Amazon or other online retailer. If they don't have a sample, I pull the trigger anyway. I am SICK of camping world and Marcus Lemonis. Can't stand that little weasel.
Mick & Vonna, 1999 Rexhall Rexair
GRUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had no problem ordering online from CW, provided I do so during the day. At night, after selecting the merchandise I wanted, I get to the check-out and their credit card widget is down. This seems to happen only at night.
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would never consider having any work done at any CW based on my experience with the store in Roanoke, Va and the general crappy reputation CW has on this and other RV related websites.

We have been in a few CW stores that were well stocked and well staffed with helpful folks. The new store in Coburg, OR was such a store. Everyone there was helpful and store was well stocked.... it was a newly opened store however.

The store on 544 at Myrtle Beach, SC is another that is always well stocked and staffed.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
I do have the Good Sam's membership but I do not shop at Camping World unless this is the only option I have. I usually buy from AMAZON Prime and have it in two days since the DW has a membership to Amazon Prime. The Good Sam's membership is used mainly for discounts at RV parks; so it pays for it's self.

I purchased a new Cedar Creek 5th wheel this year and there are only two dealers in the area for me to buy from. One was a local RV dealer about 40 miles away and than there is CW. At the RV show CW was about $500 cheaper than the local dealer was but I would not buy from CW at all; I know better. I have read online all about issues with them on their sales and service department that's all I need to say.

Jim W
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
I agree, some of their stores seem to be well run. Others seem to have an "attitude" problem- generally speaking, poorly paid people are not happy people. I think that is the problem with Camping World.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
Adapters for Roadmaster Blackhawk to Blue Ox Baseplate. Ordered some from eBay which did not fit. Ordered some from Amazon and they did not fit. Finally out of desperation went to CW where they had my model of towbar displayed. One week later I had the right parts. I know CW has some issues but they were there when I needed them!
Phil & Carol & Ariel, Grey Lady
2016 Ram CTD 4X4
2009 Carriage Cameo F35SB3:dance
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
i guess i am one of the lucky ones as i have never had a bad experience at any camping world i have visited and that is quite a few in different states.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last month we went to Camping World in Houghton Lake, MI to see if they had a rear tail light system. Ours got hit by a tree. Darn tree. They had what we needed and at a lot less than we thought it would be. The salesman we talked to was very helpful and knowledgeable. Went back to CG and talked with people camped next to us and he talked about how great CW dealt with him after a major accident with his Fifth wheel

We decided to take our rig in for a plumbing leak repair we could not get to. Also wanted extenders put on the tires so it was easier to check tire pressures. They did a good job on both repairs.
What we had a problem with is every time we called to see how things were going, we got Arkansas. We live in MI. Three times were told we would get a callback and did not.

We were happy with the work done but they do have some running issues they need to work on. Not thrilled with the other choices is our area.
Both stores were well stocked. Lynne
Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:38 PM   #11
Thor Owners Club
We are camping and had bought a new convertor from CW. Nobody had one in stock within a couple hundred mile. The new one didn't work and CW replaced it no questions asked. Usually I buy from Amazon after finding something at CW, but in a pinch they are ok.....no complaints yet.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:48 PM   #12
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been looking for the seat covers they advertised in their last brochure. Looked at them at the GS rally in Phoenix but didn't want to pay their price. They were on sale so I went to the local CW which is about 30 miles away. None to be had so I got a raincheck (only good for 30 days). They have no way of knowing or checking on what is coming in and I've called twice with the same results , none in.
The sent me an email saying I could order them, but it was $10 more plus shipping and sales tax in add'n. No idea when or if I'll ever see them. Really hate to cover the seats we have but cat claws and leather don't go together!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:57 AM   #13
I can order and get everything I need from PPL, with never any problem.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #14
Tiffin Owners Club
At the Chattanooga store my experience has been mostly positive. It probably depends on the local management more than anything else. Their in-store prices are usually high, but it is good to be able to go and look, pick up and examine an item before you buy.

Buying an RV from CW is a whole new discussion. It is definitely buyer beware. You can get a good deal, but you need to be well educated before you buy...

Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote