Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I guess I see it differently. I bought a coach with large slides so I would have a spacious coach when I camp, NOT when I DRIVE! I probably have one of the tightest aisle ways on the market, yet I'm 6'2" 300 pounds and I can get to the sofa, refer and bathroom while driving.

I don't get the big deal about having space for something the coach was not designed to do, be lived in with the slides closed.
I'm with ya Don, but if you have a bunch of kids and work for a living, you may be spending a lot of time driving (like I stated in an earlier post) and need the additional room so I can understand how the other half lives. Trust me - it is not about the journey for me...it is that destination where I can open up the slides, sit back and enjoy an adult beverage and the scenery that isn't going by at 60 mph...I plan on staying in one place for a few weeks or more and driving short distances each day.

This is my first RV and I can't imagine not having slides.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I love this post......it's just like new versus used. If you don't have it or cant afford it, it's not needed. I think many of you forget, that those with the larger coaches or multiple large slides started out with small RV's when they were younger. We started with an 8' cab over camper, went to an 11' cab over for 10 years. Owned a non slide 27' Class C for 14 years. Then we bought a Class A gasser with probably the largest living room we had to date, but hated the brake issue and some other bad designs. After that we had a DP with a shallow living room slide for 10 years. We wanted more room so we selected a coach with a large slide and tile floors.

If you like what you bought.....great.....but please don't tell me that you bought a certain design of coach just in case the wind blows, that just doesn't make sense. Mine is tight with the slides in and I've had to temporarily live in it with the slides closed, but I would NEVER make a motor home choice based on what might happen in the wind.

If you like your non slide/small slide coach.....that's fantastic, but PLEASE don't find SILLY reasons to criticize someone who likes large slides or larger coaches.

I understand exactly what your saying.
Do you think a coach with a tag will perform better in an earthquake?
Things to consider.........
Old 04-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am with Dutch Star Don, there was one poster reply#26 who thought that slide outs made the floor to big to clean. REALLEY.
I have put the slides in during high wind conditions and it wasn’t a problem. Yes, I think it is a good idea to put the slides in before you buy as some have more restrictive areas than others. I can’t get in a couple of drawers or walk around the bead with the slide in, big deal. If I need in there I run the slide out.
I remember back to the good old days when I had a 1978 25” Executive. No slides and you had to fold up the bead to get to the rear bath. Only one person could be up and moving at a time because the area was too tight for two people to get by each other. I just can’t imagine being able to come up with enough excuses to convince me to go back to that.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #46

Isn't it great that we have so many choices when it comes to RV floor plans. Imagine how boring it would be if all we had to choose from were slideless coaches or ones with no room when the slides are in. All this writing exercise proves is that as a group, we have many different needs and what suits you, may not suit me.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
We walked through what seemed like a million DP looking for "the one". We always asked about the coach fully closed up. The gem we found had only one couch and an "office" across. Very open floor plan. It also works closed up. The only drawback we have is that I have to crawl over DH to get to my side of the bed!
Old 04-06-2016, 04:28 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
Isn't it great that we have so many choices when it comes to RV floor plans. Imagine how boring it would be if all we had to choose from were slideless coaches or ones with no room when the slides are in. All this writing exercise proves is that as a group, we have many different needs and what suits you, may not suit me.
The problem these days is getting a coach with no or few slides. That is what we are complaining about.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #49

Good thread. Good RV design allows for using the coach with the slides out and in. At least as much as is possible. I like being able to pull over to the side of the road and have lunch without having to run the slides out. And use the bathroom.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The problem these days is getting a coach with no or few slides. That is what we are complaining about.
When we were looking 2 years ago, Winnebago had at least 2 Class C models with no slides and we also looked at another brand, I think it was Coachmen that was a small C with no slides. If you're talking class A's, I can't help you because we weren't looking for one of those. I think the new Winnebago Brave doesn't have slides.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #51
WDW

Here a thought - C motorhomes are more usable with slides in than class A units.

It's jus an IMHO it's just based on our former Grayhawk as compared to our Mirada. But our Mirada is fairly functional with the slides in.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Speaking about slides, around March 26 we were traveling over the Cumberland Gap in the mountains of Maryland and West Virginia in a wet snow blizzard. Visibilty was pretty bad but the roads were wet, but traction was good. Anyway going up a mountain in I70 we suddenly came upon a motorhome running slowly, around 30mph, with its slides out!

He had his hazard flashers on and was hugging the shoulder, but he still stuck out in the lane quite a ways. I had to brake to let traffic pass before I could pull out and pass him.

Could only wonder what the heck he was thinking.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #53
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Most likely the slides were frozen & he couldn't get them in. Although I sure wouldn't have left the CG like that. Yikes!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had seen it listed here in old threads to make sure that you can reach your fridge or bathroom with the slide in. When we went looking, this was something I made sure of. The one we chose had one slide and we can move freely with it in.

We stopped at a CG one night late and plugged in the electricity, the water, and left the slide in because we were leaving early. The space is big enough that it didn't matter to us.

I don't think I would pick one that I couldn't move freely in.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #55

Mine is not bad at all closed up it is 100 percent usable with the exception of 4 closet drawers. Depends on the coach, honestly I do all the driving so does not affect me either way LOL! but when looking I still have them closed up to see because it does matter on some level. I can tell you I much prefer one with a slide to one without. Yes problems and all.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Still trying to figuer out why you are afraid of slides? Just cheack and see that you can get around with the slides in.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide