Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 06:26 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Still trying to figuer out why you are afraid of slides? Just cheack and see that you can get around with the slides in.
Bill
It is not an issue of afraid. It is an issue of get what we want or no sale. We want units that we can get up and go to the bathroom and eat lunch without putting the slides out. If we are wallydocking or similar we want to be able to do it with minimual slide use. That is not unreasonable. We also want reliable slides. Also not unreasonable. What is unreasonable is not getting offered that range of choices because somebody decides to put opposing sides in all their living room areas.

As far as it goes slides by their nature add cost and weight while reducing structural integrity. Something we also value over having and additional 3 or 4 feet across the space when the slides are out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 06:45 AM   #58

Entegra Owners Club
Nothermark, your comments are not shared by most customers. If they were, it would be hard to find a coach with slides. Since is is hard to find a new coach without slides, that tells you that most buyers want them. In fact, most buyers demand slides. It is not hard to see why manufacterers make products to suit the majority of buyers, not the minority. Not saying your thoughts are wrong, just that most RVers think otherwise.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
It is not an issue of afraid. It is an issue of get what we want or no sale. We want units that we can get up and go to the bathroom and eat lunch without putting the slides out. If we are wallydocking or similar we want to be able to do it with minimual slide use. That is not unreasonable. We also want reliable slides. Also not unreasonable. What is unreasonable is not getting offered that range of choices because somebody decides to put opposing sides in all their living room areas.

As far as it goes slides by their nature add cost and weight while reducing structural integrity. Something we also value over having and additional 3 or 4 feet across the space when the slides are out.
Haven't you notised the new coaches with out slides cost the same as coaches with slides.
What part of "look at a coach with the slides in before you buy" didn't you understand. I could live in my coach with the slides in but why would I. Yes I have oposing slides in the front.
Where are all the post about un reliable slides? What redused structueral integrity?
If you want a bigger range of choices you should look hear they will make it any way you want it.
Newell Coach - Take the good life with you
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
We have full access to almost everything with our slides in. At least everything you will need while traveling. We opted for an open aisle with the slides in to accommodate our large dogs. The pups need to travel in comfort too.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #61

OK I will post about unreliable slides. In the past two years I have had to have repaired both the front and back one. They are hydraulic and the repair to the back one was over a grand for a long hose! The front one just leaked hydraulic fluid and that was several hundred. Plus over the last 6 years we have spent maybe $5,000 getting both slides leak free. Much of the reason for the high cost is that no one seemed to be able to figure out the reasons for the leaks and they just kept fixing stuff till it worked. So maybe $6,500 over six years. That said, we like the two large slides we have and would not want to give them up. But the two is enough. We like the floor plan. We have had 16 people in our coach for a sit down dinner and it is quite spacious.

For those looking for a good slide free class C I think Lasydays still makes those. They have made very high quality class C's for years.

Structural integrity. Absolutely when you cut big holes in a box it is not as strong as when you don't. If you have a semi-monocoque or monocoque chassis design where the engineers have taken these cut outs into their design and the whole bus is held together with welded steel tubes it is much less of an issue. However, 90-95% of motorhomes are just house structures attached to a flat rail chassis and the large cutouts are engineered in with varying degrees of safety concern it can be a very big issue. Some motorhomes are really built solid with heavy materials. Those are the ones you want to be in when you have an accident. Something like a Prevost Bus is very safe.

The fact is amount of slides and personal wants and needs are, well, personal. Each to his own and that is why there are so many different designs out there. We were lucky and had a couple of very knowledgeable sales people point out the advantages of more or less slides. We could have easily bought a coach with four slides or full wall slide for what we paid for our rig in Nov 2009, but we picked what we did based on what we liked the most and felt was the best workable system for travel. We still like what we picked. But having that big space in the front room when you have a group of people in your coach is very nice. When it is just you and the wife and dog, it does not matter.

As far as motorhome makers putting the most logical stuff in their coaches I would give some of them about a D. We are at a WIT rally in Palm Springs. Yesterday we looked into a very nice 38' brand new coach. It is about 100 degrees outside. The person showing the coach had the fake fireplace going. To me the grand prize for the stupidest feature to be put in a motorhome since the poo incinerator has to be the fake fireplace. But again, each to his own, so if you want a fireplace have at it. Other than fireplace it was a very nice coach.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #62

Since you asked, do a search on schwintek and you will get more slide woes than you want.

As I said before, we do look and will not buy a unit that cannot be used with the slides in. We do it every day we drive to eat lunch and use the faclilites. We often go that route if we are wallydocking for a night, in other people's driveway and space is tight or at home when prepping or if the weather is really cold or extremely windy.

I learned the "everybody wants it" idea long ago. Slides are like outside TV's. A lot or people do not want them but will take them to get an otherwise manageable unit. The dealers love them because they sell to the folks that want them and the folks that do not. The same thing can be said for sun roofs, high power stereo's, and the hands free phone stuff in a lot of new cars. That is why they get packaged into the higher end trim packages with things people do want like heated mirrors and keyless door locks.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #63
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wow.....right out of the "stone age".
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Slides in

I specifically selected our model a Bounder 33C because you can access the bedroom, bathroom and refrigerator, couch, etc while slides in and traveling. Also liked the 33 C because it has only 2 slides and the larger one only has the couch and kitchen table on it. This minimizes weight of appliances, water, and wiring issues with this moving part of the coach! Plenty of room for two or when slides are open. I will admit we are not FT's which could impact the decision in the future.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #65

The rig must be useable when going down the road for me. Bathroom, viewing of tv for kids while belted in and fridge and microwave access. Finding it hard to find a rig that meets those requirements as well as others (size, towing capacity, price etc)...2017's are coming soon though!
Old 04-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Wow.....right out of the "stone age".
To true Don to true.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi Lori,

On our WBGO we can get to everything while traveling with the slides in. When I boondock at Wally world I have to put BR slide out but that is no biggy. I can get to the fridge, microwave and toilet with no problem.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Nothermark, your comments are not shared by most customers. If they were, it would be hard to find a coach with slides. Since is is hard to find a new coach without slides, that tells you that most buyers want them. In fact, most buyers demand slides. It is not hard to see why manufacterers make products to suit the majority of buyers, not the minority. Not saying your thoughts are wrong, just that most RVers think otherwise.

I guess I'm another of those "not most customers" since I totally agree with Nothermark!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #69
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Folks, let's keep on topic & not attack each other's opinions. I don't want to have to close my own thread. Ok?

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi Lori,

On our WBGO we can get to everything while traveling with the slides in. When I boondock at Wally world I have to put BR slide out but that is no biggy. I can get to the fridge, microwave and toilet with no problem.

O
I agree with Tom-NC. Our MH same situation.

Tags
slide