Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is it me or are coaches with the slides in unmaneuverable inside?

Took our Bounder to our dealer this past weekend for some repairs, so I decided to visit several of the new motorhomes they had on their lot. A few of them had the slides retracted.

All I could think of is how the heck are these things usable with the slides in? One in particular, I bruised my ankles on raised slide edges (no carpet) trying to shuffle my way down a little 8" path to the rear , I couldn't open the refrigerator or the microwave doors, DH couldn't get in the 1/2 bath with that pivot door (& he's not large by any means, just tall having the stature that goes with tall) he couldn't fit (unless sideways) his shoulders through the space to get to the bedroom, the end of the bed goes under the wardrobe doors about a foot rendering it a very short bed...even for me.

I realize the opposing slides make them very roomy when extended, but if I can't get to stuff when I'm at a rest stop or WM-docking overnight, even for the small % of time we do that, it makes these new floorplans impractical to own.

Is it just me?

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
It varies by each design . Ours is easy to maneuver around in with the slide in . Many are not.

stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I agree, some of the slides completely "clog up" the motorhome. Which is a good reason to have the dealer close the slides when viewing new motorhomes. There is no reason to get your heart set on a rig, only to have it be a disappointment later. When looking at a new rig, always make sure you can easily walk to and use the bathroom, use the refrigerator and the microwave.... or any other area that you feel is important to you.
John (Rusty) & Jessica + Sarge $ Rufus
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3953
2014 Honda CRV
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
No, it's not just you.

I had a tough time convincing my wife to abandon the idea of slides. I opted for wide body DP, with no slides. I want the whole coach to be accessible while on the road. Since we don't camp in one place for more than two nights (and drive a LOT), "my way" proves to be right. We travel with dogs, and the coaches with retracted slides don't provide enough room for ANY movement within the coach en route. Slides are great while parked (unless they malfunction, and/or leak!). I also disliked the "wall" behind the driver's seat (created by retracted slide on that side). I am 6'3", and that "wall" was preventing me to put my seat (I do all the driving) in the comfortable position.

Would I like to have a "bigger" bedroom while parked? Sure. But I find that my 40' DP has enough room for me as is, and I don't have to "transition" to cramped space, when I decide to drive off. Less maintenance, and less potential problems are just the bonus.

No slides for me.
1995 Vogue Prima Vista
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
This is fairly common. A coach with 4 slides is going to be a pain to move around in when the slides are in. It can be done but it wasn't designed to be used that way. I can access pretty much everything (fridge, toilet, most closets) but I can't wait to get to my destination to pop the slides out!

I talked to an owner of a high end used coach dealership that had a personal Prevost with no slides. He said that he drove a lot and didn't stay in one place very long so for him he prefered no slides for him and his family. This way the wife and kids can move around easily while driving down the road.

So if you move around a lot, maybe a coach with no slides would be a better option. If you tend to stay in one place for weeks at a time, then a coach with slides would be more attractive.

For you it sounds like a coach with slides is not going to work for you but almost all the DPs being sold (new) these days have 3 or 4 slides.
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat
2011 Jeep Rubicon
2012 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4WD
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
RussM311 makes a valid point with his suggestion to view a prospective purchase with the slides in. We have 1 LR slide that still gives us full access to the rest of the MH, so a non-issue for us.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #7
Some folks are making assumptions that all RVs with slides are the same. That is not the case. Our 2008 Aspect 26A is very accessible even with the slide in. I can get to the fridge. sink and bathroom with plenty of space, and I'm a big guy. It also has almost a foot of space behind the driver's seat and the slide when it is retracted so the driver's seat isn't pushed against the slide. When the slide is out, it adds a tremendous amount of room. Our previous TT also had a slide which didn't restrict movement inside when it was retracted. That adds up to 8 years of having slides and never one issue with them, either mechanical or leaking. We looked for 2 years to find the perfect (for us) Class C. Sometimes you have to look a little harder to find what suits you.
2008 Winnebago Aspect E450 26A. Oh, yeah, the wife and geriatric Beagle, Irwin, come along too.
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
Remember the manufacturers who advertise wider slides when open must put them somewhere when closed. There goes your useful isle. We like what we call a touring coach. Fully usable when "on the road" and maybe a little nicer when camping with slides out.
Swerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #9
I push the button and the slides go out- no problem.
2011 Montana-3400RL
Towed by[B]'99 F-350 SD PSD DRW Lariat
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
IF we cannot use the unit with the slides in then it is a no sale.

I agree that the designers should spend more time living in the units they lay out. OTOH I also see comments like "she wants opposing slides in the living room or else" so I have to wonder who to blame.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #11
One of the things we really liked about our Duscovery 40G was the maneuvering room with the slides in. Especially with that monster full wall slide. I know when we were looking at higher end units like Entegras and Newmars some were virtually impossible to squeeze thru. There have been many threads about people getting couches replaced by cabinets for just that reason. Obviously not all units are that bad, but you certainly want to make sure you have them pull in the slides and see what you have to work with before you pull out your checkbook
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #12
It's not just you. A couple of my close friends have recently bought newer coaches with very big slides on both sides of the coach. One of them looks like a cave inside when the slides are all in. The other coach is similar.

But designs are different. When we were looking for a coach to buy 7 years ago we paid close attention to how the interior worked with the slides in. We ended up with slides only on the drivers side and a bit longer coach. For us this floor plan works really well.

But it is a trade off. Usually if you want big slides on all sides it will cost you interior space when the slides are in. Sometimes the interior space is laughable when the slides are in. Meaning unusable.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #13
I noticed the differences in slide-in livability when first shopping for a RV. We opted for one with almost full functionality with the slides in. The only functions limited are the lower closet drawers and the reclining sofa. I am even able to stretch out in bed by using the desk top for my feet.

Every once in a while we will pull in a slide due to weather.
2003 Itasca Sunrise 32v F53
Okiedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #14

It's not just you. I have noticed so many new MHs with no access to parts of the coach if the slides are in. I don't know engineers design them like this. They have to know that people travel in these MHs and need to get around in them.
When I found my Dutch Star the slides were out, and the first thing I did was tell them to bring the slide in. We determined that you could get to almost everything, configured that way. That is just as important as what the floor plan will be when the slides are deployed.

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote