Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #1
Is it possible to tow/launch my boat

Well bought a older 33' class A RV used with for 2 trips and loved it but it doesn't replace our boat in anyway and no way was I going to tow the boat with it. Boats a 23' boston whaler conquest with hardtop and twins. On truck scale 7,000lbs +/- for fuel.

We are looking at a new RV but I do have a budget so a super C or diesel pusher is out of question. Thor is the only manufacture I found that puts E450 chassis on their shorter class c RV's. we are looking at a 26'er. Weighs 10,500lbs dry. Probably 13k loaded fuel, water, waste, wife's excessive packing. GVWR is 14,500lbs. GCWR is 22,000lbs.

So 13k + 7k is 20k. Under the 22kGCWR but is that pushing it?
I don't think I can go longer then a 26' one as I don't want to bottom out going down the ramp. Wheelbase is 11" more then a crew cab long bed ford super duty but ground clearance is pretty low.

Thoughts? Am I nuts? My truck is a F250 and even my last 2013 f150 had no issues towing it but the back sticks out a ways behind back tires.

gentilebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
A thing I'd be concerned with when launching is that if you get into the water you may be damaging your holding tanks, pipes, battery box, storage bays, etc. You don't have much clearance with a Class C.

I don't know about the logistics but would putting a ball on the front of the motorhome be of any help? You'd be launching from the front. You'd have to do some switching around in the launch area to do this so you'd need space...probably not a good idea.

What about a truck camper?

Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Having owned both an A and a C, and a boat, I'd have to recommend against launching with either type of RV. Launch ramps can range from fairly flat to very steep, some have traction strips and some don't, and some can be fairly dry and some slick with algae, etc. I'd be afraid of losing boat and RV on a really bad ramp.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
It's been a long time be we pulled a 23 ft Chris Craft with a Class A for many many years... Never a issue

Personally I wouldn't try a class C with that much weight, even a class A gas would be difficult due to most only having a 5,000 lb tow rating. Not sure what your budget is but I would bet you could find a used DP that meets your budget. I would take a used DP over a new class C anyday
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
We actually found launching with the motor home easier than with our truck. Because of the long overhang, the rear wheels never get in the water. It is more difficult to get into the boat when ready to launch, so either put someone in it, or launch next to the dock.

With that said, you need to look at the tongue weight too. We towed a 22' SeaRay (4500 pounds) behind our 27' Class C for 12 years. I moved the boat back on the trailer to get to a 325 pound tongue weight. Always towed and handled well.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought a Hurricane 27K last year and towed our Sea Ray 220SD to Havasu for a week with no issues. Hills were no problem. I paid $50 for launch and take out. Now that I am used to the Hurricane, I would feel comfortable doing it with the RV. I also put in a Garmin GPS with backup camera and wired it to the license plate light so I can see the boat.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
I only launched our boat 1 time with our Class C. It was only a 17 ft Boston Whaler Montauk. Problem was that the boat trailer was small enough that I couldn't even see in my rear view side mirrors. I didn't have a back up camera. By the time I realized the trailer was jackknifing it was too late. My dad and wife were trying to help by giving verbal instructions on backing it up but after making a complete fool of myself I said enough was enough and never tried again.

You will have to get a large Class C to get the towing capacity you are looking for. You will have to watch the wheel base and length past the rear wheels to not have to worry about dragging. If whatever you buy has airbags there is a possibility of putting an valves to inflate the air bags while backing down a ramp to give you more clearance.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 32 ft super " C " we tow and launch a 18 ft boat, not as big as yours, but we use unimproved and reglair launches with no problems....................
stryker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
A 23' Whaler is a heck of a boat! Congratulations. My wife would only let me have a Sea Ray when I showed her Whaler's & Grady's. I think I understand you to say the boat weighs around 7,000 lbs ready to launch. Better check the hitch rating of any RV you're looking at. I believe most Class A gas coaches will limit you to 5,000 lbs. DP's I've looked at are usually 10,000. I'm sure you know the boating rule of thumb of not exceeding 80% of the manufacturer's tow ratings. Think a boat that nice is going to really restrict you to a DP. (I've had 2 Sea Ray's. An 18' ob & a 21' i/o. Launched both with RV's, full size vans, Grand Cherokee & a Tundra. The RV's were as good as the others, in same ways better. Launched all over California, fresh & salt. We usually have very steep ramps.). With the right RV, the combination of a boat & RV is the best combo of 2 worlds I thoroughly enjoy.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:26 AM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've launched a 16' runabout with a 32 and 36' Class A easily but a rear camera really helps. Good backing skills are a must. With no camera just keep the boat so you can not see it then you know it's going straight back. Ramps must be not steep or too shallow.

Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote