Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #15

I'm not much into day trading or even short term. Being older means there isn't much long term ahead. But I am thinking of a return in 5 to 10 years.

That's how I am looking at the stocks I listed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #16

Current Stock Purchase Update!

Last Wed. I bought 6 stocks on the list for a total value of $2000. Today the market value of those stocks is over $2600, so I am averaging about 10%, $200+ growth per market day.

I put in a limit order for Fleetwood for $0.007. It had closed at $0.0075. Now I am the proud owner of 10,000 shares of Fleetwood for $82 and I am rooting for them and a few others like Monaco to pull through this. BTW Fleetwood primarily did this to rid itself of it's trailer business and to keep the MH and manufactured homes side of the business. They have $23,000,000 in cash on hand.

The question was, is it time to buy and so far the answer seems to be yes. But be prudent. In a market like this only put in what you can afford to loose. If you can do it through your IRA accounts then the gains are not taxable and of course the loses are loses.

The above is my opinion only and is not a recommendation for others.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #17

In the tough times like this I like to invest in companies that have a higher value than the stock is trading for. One is cscx trading at $2.66 and has a book value of $10.30 per share.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can get enough stock certificates to paper your bedroom. It is cheaper than wall paper.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #19

Go to MSN.com you can check book value on any company.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You can get enough stock certificates to paper your bedroom. It is cheaper than wall paper.

Ken
Most of us leave the certificates with the broker. If you choose to have the certificates you only will get one with the number of shares bought on it.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 AM   #21

Wann'a try your hand without risking any capital?? Go here: http://vse.marketwatch.com/

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer View Post
Wann'a try your hand without risking any capital?? Go here: http://vse.marketwatch.com/
Either the members of this forum are financially very very conservative or just do not have a lot of experience in the market. Yet many of you have spent many thousands of dollars for RV's. Doing the above also earns nothing.

Dow Chemical, AIG, Ford, GE and Caterpillar are going to exist after this recession. Some of these stocks are down 80% which means that you have the opportunity to earn 80% on your money. For those whose 401 or IRA's went way down now is the opportunity to gain much of that back with low risk.

Let's look at Fleetwood. It was $0.0075 They are dumping their trailer business and keeping the Manufactured homes and motorhomes. They have $23,000,000 cash on hand. If you believe they will come out of this a leaner and better company and that their stock in a year or two or three might sell for $1.00 you have an opportunity to regain your loses with real cash. If it doesn't you might loose less than $100.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #23
doc

Appalachian Campers
Gump, Cat just laid off a large portion of the workforce at their factory near here. Dealers have leases out on equipment they do not want back and are asking the customers to just pay the interest on them. One of the biggest Cat dealers in the southeast, if not the nation, Yancey Brothers has gone under.
I do believe Cat will make it through all this, but right now in the short term Cat stocks may be slow earners. When the construction business picks up and the new highway/infrastructure rebuild starts nationwide, their business should again rebound.
Whaddya think?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #24

Three months ago CAT was selling for over $88, now it is $26.33. How much lower do you think it will go? I would research the company P/E etc. It is only going to go so low, is it now or a few weeks from now. It's only down 3.6 today which suggests to me that with all this bad news the time to buy is near. That Cat dealer may not have been a very good businessman.

If you buy now and lets says it drops to $15, you don't loose unless you sell and on the other hand when it does go back to the $80's you are looking pretty good. I think GE is the better choice right now. Or buy some of each, diversify.

You almost never buy at the true low but being close is really great. If you do buy do so conservatively.

BTW AIG is up close to 100% in one week, a week of all kinds of AIG news. I think AIG hit it's low and will be now going up.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Most of us leave the certificates with the broker. If you choose to have the certificates you only will get one with the number of shares bought on it.
I kow...I was just making light of the value of the paper that it was issued on. It cost more to print the certificates than they are worth i n a lot of cases.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Cat is still planning on building a new plant in Seguin, Tx at least that was the last I heard on the news here. I sure hope they stay around, I have some of their stock.

John
Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have this sneaking suspicion that alot of stocks, even ones that survive the market will never be worth as much as they once were during the false economy.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #28

Gain today $645

My $2000 investment that I made last week on 6 stocks is now valued at $3748. I did buy 2,000 shares of Monaco yesterday. The big winners today were AIG and Sun Microsystems which IBM just announced it's intent to buy.

My intention is to keep all 7 stocks for several years or at least till before the next recession.