Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #1

Is it time to buy stocks?

AIG is $0.45, Monaco is $0.045 and Fleetwood is $0.007 not to mention a lot of other bargains. Monaco and Fleetwood are both in Chapter 11. I think all three including companies like Ford are going to survive. 10,000 shares of Fleetwood is $82. It just seems like a good time to go out there and pick up some good bargains.

Question is which RV builders do you see surviving? Fleetwood is dropping trailers. Which of the chassis manufactures do you see surviving?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
AIG is $0.45, Monaco is $0.045 and Fleetwood is $0.007 not to mention a lot of other bargains. Monaco and Fleetwood are both in Chapter 11. I think all three including companies like Ford are going to survive. 10,000 shares of Fleetwood is $82. It just seems like a good time to go out there and pick up some good bargains.

Question is which RV builders do you see surviving? Fleetwood is dropping trailers. Which of the chassis manufactures do you see surviving?

There is a reason that the financial pros are happy to sell you their shares at these prices. Remember, for every buyer there is a happy seller.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #3

"Financial Pros" ???

Real people play in the market too. Many people made fortunes during the Depression by buying smart. Apple financed my 10 year early forced retirement. There are some excellent bargains out there. The concept is to buy low sell high and right now it is pretty darn low.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many times the shares for sale are from the company itself to raise capital. I agree there are some bargains out there, the trick is picking the future winners out of the ones that won't exist in the future.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #5

Ummmm, you bought a new motor home recently, right? How does it's present value compare with your purchase price? The professional dealer was happy too huh?

Buy and sell smart.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco is $.06 had been delisted and now on OTC pink slips. I'll pass.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #7

The question is do you think Monaco is going to survive and if so is not 6 cents a good buy? Obviously if it's below $2 it is going to be delisted.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #8

I bought enough Coachmen and Fleetwood stocks to have fun with, but I doubt if I will get rich. I have considered Thor and Winnebago as well.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If Monaco and/or Fleetwood survive, in bankruptcy, the common stock is almost always wiped out and they start fresh. If you buy either now, you have about a 99.999% chance of getting nothing. You might be better puting the money in a slot, the odds are actually better.

On the other hand, their are some potential good buys, with some risk, but they have greater potential, like GE. On the other hand, if you put a million dollars in CDs in 1998 you would have more money today than if you had put a million dollars in the DJIA. Who would have thunked it?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #10

Mr. Grump,

The only thing anyone can say with any sort of certainty about investing in the stock market is it takes equal amounts on smarts and luck. Smarts means you have spent some time looking into the likelihood that the company will do well. The luck part is that the company actually does do well. Those things that make sense in reality don't necessarily make sense in the market. Especially now. There are no absolutes.

On the other hand, some throw a few dollars into the wind hoping they return with friends. That's called unbridled optimism.

Follow your gut. It's as good as anything right now. If you want to cast a few dollars to the Monaco or Fleetwood winds, the cost is surely low. You may lose it forever, or you may break even or even do well. Only the gods know for sure.

Now that I have clearly answered your question, let us know what you decide to do.

Steve
Old 03-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
If Monaco and/or Fleetwood survive, in bankruptcy, the common stock is almost always wiped out and they start fresh. I
This is true most certainly for a liquidation but Monaco and Fleetwood are both hoping to survive and restructure.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #12

Here is my current shortlist. Some I expect to survive others I do not. Some are for fum and some are serious. But with the DJ being at a real low - it is time to look.

GE
GM
F
C
AIG
DOW
CAT
MMM
JNJ
MSFT
JWN
CSCO
NOK
JAVA
AXP
LVS
MGM
HMC
FLTWQ
MCOAQ

I bought 6 companies yesterday, for 2K and I am up $320 if I were to sell today. I bought those companies that I thought would survive the current crisis and are at or near their current lows. I put in an order for 10,000 shares of Fleetwood because I could not resist.

I started in the market when I was in grade school. I bought Illinois Bell which AT&T later bought out. I kept it till I needed it for my 2 girls education.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #13

Quote:
This is true most certainly for a liquidation but Monaco and Fleetwood are both hoping to survive and restructure.

And I truly hope they succeed.

Steve
Old 03-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
A chapter 7 is liquidation, a chapter 11 is reorganization. In a chapter 11, the debts have to be restructurered if possible, it usually does however mean the common is wiped out in a case like Monaco and Fleetwood where there are few assets verses their liabilities.

I did buy another 500,000 shares the other day at $.04 and sold them the next day at $.06, they have not hit $.06. Yes, a profit, but not a fortune. It doesn't get me even for those I bought at $.63!