Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #1

Is my window seal supposed to be this way?

This driver's side window in our Newmar 98 Mt. Aire has been driving us crazy. Leaking, leaking! We took the window out, cleaned it up, replaced the sealant tape all around, replaced the window, then caulked. It still leaks.

Attached is a photo of the external seal strip. Is that shrinkage or is it supposed to be that way? Some know it all told me to fill that area with sealant and our leaks will stop. Thanks.
artrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #2

Don't see any picture.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #3

replay re pic

Try it now. the upload's giving me grief. I don't know why.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Don't see any picture.
Same for me as well.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #5

I hope this loads

Attached Files
Old 10-26-2016, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrosch View Post
artrosch
That looks very much like a "shrinking" problem.... (caulking might stop the leak).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
artrosch
That looks very much like a "shrinking" problem.... (caulking might stop the leak).
It does look like the rubber seal has shrunk. I would not caulk it, typically that seal is against the slider half of the window. Don't want to seal the window shut. You can take the seal out all the way around. Reinstall it starting at the bottom end. It will come up short at the top end but the bottom will be covered. Also check to see if the weep holes in the bottom of the frame, outside bottom edge, are open. Water will get down there even if the seal hadn't shrunk. Enough water and it backs up and can flow to the inside.

Look up at the bottom of the frame from the outside. There should be several drain holes along the bottom edge. They plugged with dirt, bugs, etc.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #8

You can purchase new window edging on line or a camping supply store I beleive they sell it by the foot. You can also take it all out and put it in a pan of boiling water to soften up the rubber, once you have it soft try stretching it (BECAREFUL NOT TOO STRECH TO HARD AS YOU MAY TEAR IT INTOO)while it's still hot from water start applying it back into window frame .start at the middle edge abutt both end and work it all the way around so if there is a gap it will be on the side and you'll only have to put a little bit of black silicone in the gap. Hope this helps..
steppinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #9

replies

Good replies. I have checked the weep holes, and they look okay. Im wondering if it takes a couple of days for the new seal to set up. The rain started almost immediately after we finished the initial re-seal. At first it looked good. Then I opened and closed the window a little hard, and suddenly water was rolling in all over. Today's the first sunny day. We expect rain again late tonight early tomorrow. I run a dehumidifier and it's been filling up. Thank god I have that machine, or that water would still be in our carpet and walls.

Thanks. Keep 'em coming.

Tags
seal, window