Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Larry & Rita's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tulalip, WA
Posts: 943
Is quality going down hill ?

I have an old 1999 and am thinking about getting a new or newer Class A, I have been a fan of IRV2 for just a short while, trying to learn all I can about what to buy and where to go.
All I see are mfgr. problems with the 2000 and newer. Granted some of the questions and complaints are laughable and seen contrived just to get out in public. Is this my imagination?
Is quality going away because of the economy or just mfgr's cutting corners ?

Larry
__________________

__________________
Don't pray for a blessing--Pray to be a blessing.
2006 Holiday Rambler Endavor 40 footer
Tulalip,WA
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
InPursuit's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: S. Texas
Posts: 272
Of the X (estimated number) of actually running and on the road RV's in the world...
what percentage do you think are model year 2000 or newer?

A more interesting question might be the realistic life expectancy of the average/typical RV... the moderate to poorly maintained ones
(not the uber obsessed and lovingly cared for and never actually driven much)

hmmm
__________________

__________________
Bryan. 2000 Georgie Boy Pursuit.


InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
tncruiser's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2009
Location: kingston tn.
Posts: 973
if we own a particular brand we will either complain or brag
otherwise we would have nothing to talk about
brianj
__________________
just liven life in east tn or where ever our
2011 georgetown ,2012 explorer and 02 tbird take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 819
Without insulting you..Larrygrandpa, you own a "model T' compared to much newer motor homes. More things to go wrong, but way more luxury.

If we couldn't complain here on this forum, why, we'd go nuts!!!

Kerry
__________________
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Luckiest Dreamer's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,188
I find it hard to believe that quality can be worse that what I had found on my coach. No place to go but up!
__________________
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Gary - K7GLD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,696
Gotta be tough decisions for the few remaining RV makers - buyers want more luxury, but the economy dictates lower selling prices.

Can't get 15 pounds into a 10 pound bag!

For us, we're VERY happy that our '88 Winnie (call it a model T if you like...) was bought in great condition, at a low price, and reflects the attention to detail and pride in workmanship of decades long gone. It can sit unused as long as necessary, the low price we paid for it doesn't "force" us to use it to justify the FAR higher prices of later stuff - and it has EVERYTHING we need for comfortable travel and extended stays.
__________________
John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Wizard's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Home on the hill in Georgia
Posts: 2,458
Have an "02 motorhome and, KOW, never had a problem that I can blame on quality. A few on stupidity on my part, but thats another story.
__________________
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bakersfield CA
Posts: 257
Quality of workmanship is definitely on a downward trend. Not only in motorhome construction, but all skilled trades.
Indeed, new coaches have many more electronic devices, gadgets, etc, but quality of construction is not as good as previous years.
Look at homes built in 1920's vs homes built today. Modest priced homes built in the 20's have superior craftsmanship compared to luxury homes of today. There are no skilled craftsman to build the cabinetry similar to that of earlier years. Everything is machine built, not hand crafted. Motorhomes, as all other built items, follows this same trend.
__________________
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
chiefdave's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 278
I have heard many times that manufacturers build in a 7-10 K factor in the price of the unit to fix issues with motorhomes once they leave the factory. You need to make sure you document every problem you have and make sure it fixed in the first year of your warrranty. I have purchased 2 new units; 1 gas, newer one diesel. Both had plently of issues. Good luck!
__________________
Dave & Kathy Cramer (Full Timers) AF CMSgts, Ret
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ
2003 Honda Odyssey, Toad Stop Braking System
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
denochs's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefdave View Post
I have heard many times that manufacturers build in a 7-10 K factor in the price of the unit to fix issues with motorhomes once they leave the factory. You need to make sure you document every problem you have and make sure it fixed in the first year of your warrranty. I have purchased 2 new units; 1 gas, newer one diesel. Both had plently of issues. Good luck!
Dave,

Now you have separated the difference we see in mh construction today. You can put the very best appliance/tire/accessory, etc in it. But it is only as good as the how and the quality of workmanship putting it into the coach.

Dave
__________________
David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 857
Diesel pushers are the worst for problems. Too much integrated bull. Too much computer control from one system. Too many specialized parts you can't easily find and in the future will not find. Most owners are loyal to brand. To sway them away, seems like you'd need a mistake like an ejection seat installed by mistake and blasting you through the roof by mistake. Too many expectations that it is normal and expected to break down. When Ford comes out with their diesel option, the DP will not be so attractive. Ford is the biggest supplier of chassis's and backs their product. My manufacturer Four Winds made a mistake overloading the rear axle. The axle did not fall out. The springs did not break. The shocks did not explode. And my fuel lines did not leak.

Simpler the better. The "simple" Ford chassis is used by Winnebago. The model I will be getting is the 37L. It was loved by many at the last RV show I attended and has plenty of spare carrying capacity over both front and rear axles. Excellent quality throughout. Even under the bed which by the way looks like a dresser cabinet.

I like to dream about the "big rigs". I've even posted a great looking NeoPlan here on this site. If you take the time to read the Neoplan owner's blog you will find him fixing a lot of really expensive things. He even admits it.

Anyway, for me trouble is a Diesel Pusher.

There's one last thing. I'm retired recently and sometimes get pretty bored. Maybe breakdowns if you're full timing break it up. Just something I was thinking.
__________________
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Five2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
Quality of workmanship is definitely on a downward trend. Not only in motorhome construction, but all skilled trades.
Indeed, new coaches have many more electronic devices, gadgets, etc, but quality of construction is not as good as previous years.
Look at homes built in 1920's vs homes built today. Modest priced homes built in the 20's have superior craftsmanship compared to luxury homes of today. There are no skilled craftsman to build the cabinetry similar to that of earlier years. Everything is machine built, not hand crafted. Motorhomes, as all other built items, follows this same trend.
Look at homes/vehicles built in the 70's...actually it would be hard to find a 70's vehicle to look at in 1990.
__________________
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
historyljc's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
Diesel pushers are the worst for problems. Too much integrated bull. Too much computer control from one system. Too many specialized parts you can't easily find and in the future will not find. Most owners are loyal to brand. To sway them away, seems like you'd need a mistake like an ejection seat installed by mistake and blasting you through the roof by mistake. Too many expectations that it is normal and expected to break down. When Ford comes out with their diesel option, the DP will not be so attractive. Ford is the biggest supplier of chassis's and backs their product. My manufacturer Four Winds made a mistake overloading the rear axle. The axle did not fall out. The springs did not break. The shocks did not explode. And my fuel lines did not leak.

Simpler the better. The "simple" Ford chassis is used by Winnebago. The model I will be getting is the 37L. It was loved by many at the last RV show I attended and has plenty of spare carrying capacity over both front and rear axles. Excellent quality throughout. Even under the bed which by the way looks like a dresser cabinet.

I like to dream about the "big rigs". I've even posted a great looking NeoPlan here on this site. If you take the time to read the Neoplan owner's blog you will find him fixing a lot of really expensive things. He even admits it.

Anyway, for me trouble is a Diesel Pusher.

There's one last thing. I'm retired recently and sometimes get pretty bored. Maybe breakdowns if you're full timing break it up. Just something I was thinking.
The most reliable trouble free portion of my diesel pusher is the running gear. Any problems I've had has been with the house portion or the box on the running gear. That can happen on any coach regardless of the chassis. Except for a blown tire, my diesel pusher has never left me broke down on the side of the road. That can happen on any chassis. Possibly the next time I take it out it will break down on me, but so far it has not. I have read, on this and other forums, of Workhorse chassis' with brake problems and Ford's with troublesome spark plugs and other issues. My old bones sure do appreciate the smoother air ride of the dp chassis over the spring system of the regular chassis. The diesel engine and transmission in my dp are warrantied for five years for unlimited miles. Is this the case with Ford power trains? Properly maintained, dp power trains have a life expectancy of between 500,000 and million trouble free miles. Is this the case with Workhorse or Ford?
__________________
Travel well, travel safe,
Jim
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
UFO Pilot's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 4,612
The majority of problems I have had were electrical / electronic. Kwickee control board, slide out control board, microwave, etc. I haven't had any problems with cabinets coming loose, water leaks, etc. So for me at least, the problems have been with the suppliers of the components and not with the quality of the build itself.
__________________

__________________
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stuck on a Hill with nowhere to go, help..... Ted Thurlby Excel Owner's Forum 4 11-25-2008 08:29 AM
CrossRoads RV Credits Explosive Growth To Meeting Customer Needs w/ Quality Products DriVer RV Industry Press 1 09-27-2006 02:50 PM
WRV'ing & Factory Quality Control EngineerMike Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 10 08-25-2005 09:41 AM
New PDI Center Enhances Workhorse's Delivery and Quality Procedures DriVer RV Industry Press 9 08-08-2005 04:54 PM
Newmar Receives Quality Circle Award Edmund A Skibinski RV Industry Press 10 06-26-2005 11:24 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.