Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #15

i also live i viginia and yes we still wave even we dont know you. but i find this is more common in the rural areas. i would be shocked if i got a wave back in northern va or the tidewater (eastern) area
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #16

sorry i got off topic in my last post. now to get back on topic. i live on the edge of the George Washington National Forest and during the spring summer and fall seasons the forest is full of families camping with all types of gear. on big week ends they need to get here early to be assured of a camp site. its all dry camping and no designated sites just find a place and set up.
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I'm going to agree with "historyljc" to a certain degree about the more sophisticated trucks and modern roads, but will also say that a LOT of the long haul drivers do not speak English as their first language! Even though they don't need my flash to pull back in, they could respond out of couteousy.

Courteous drivers.....now that's a new concept......maybe it could catch on.....nah.

We live in Mexico part of the year. There is a lot more light flashing down there than in the USA. They flash in Spanish so I'm not sure what it means.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #18

We spend a fair amount of time in Mexico on the west coast and have run out of gas on one occasion (dumb) and got a flat on another. Hate to say it buy the gringos always pass without stopping and the Mexicans would not think of not stopping. I think it's culture.
I also notice that it sometimes takes a crowbar to remove a slow trucker from the left lane.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjsupply View Post
I've camped for many years and I recall as a kid, that when we passed another camper on the road, they ALWAYS waved....NO ONE out-on-the-road ever waves anymore unless it's someone we know! Have times changed so much or is this something we can resurrect together?
Drive through Texas.

Waving is still common and accepted here.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #20
YC1

Simple reason I don't wave. I seldom can see you through the glass with the glare etc. I'm watching vehicles and staying in my lane. I wave driving through the campground to all I see but that is traveling at 5mph.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #21

It's hard enough to drive and talk on the cel phone at the same time, waving is just another distraction.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #22

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjsupply
Thanks Gadget63. Maybe you & I can resurrect the "wave" together; because I don't intend to stop waving at my fellow campers either.
I will be right there with you.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by boweavel
i also live i viginia and yes we still wave even we dont know you. but i find this is more common in the rural areas. i would be shocked if i got a wave back in northern va or the tidewater (eastern) area
I live in northern va and our fellow jeeps wave all the time. Keep doing it and be positive and it will come.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post
I was talking to an x-trucker one day and this subject came up about flashing the lights and she told me that the trainers discourage the practice these days because of insurance issues. Seems that if you say their truck is clear then you are responsible for an accident if there is one. When I lived in KY everyone waved to everybody if you knew them or not! Guess they hadn't heard about the insurance problem.
We were also talking to some Truck Drivers and they told us same thing about insurance problems, now that being said, we travel all over this great Country of ours and find the over the road truckers will flash us more then local drivers.

Traveling at our fast speed of 58-62 mph it it us that flash the Truck Driver more then them flashing us. The DW will also let me know when a trucker does not say thank you.

Waving is a hard thing to do when traveling the Interstates, but yes people do still wave on the small 2 lane roads.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn View Post
Traveling at our fast speed of 58-62 mph it it us that flash the Truck Driver more then them flashing us. The DW will also let me know when a trucker does not say thank you.
We haven't flashed a trucker since the 60's.

There's a trend that I'd like to see revived.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #26
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
From a different thread:

Hi my name is Les. I stand before you and say "I am a waver". In fact I'm already on the 12 step program for waving. It all started as a child waving at all the truckers and people my dad passed on the road. Then it graduated to waving at girls. I think this was when it started to get out of control and I recognized I had a bit of a problem. I waved at other bikers when I had a bike however many bikers didn't wave back and I started to get a complex. Once I got a boat, then it seemed like I waved more. My wife often told me she thought I was a bit obsessed.
Once we got the RV though, I found myself almost waving at everyone and everything.

If it moved, I waved at it.

I would be careful though If my wife was watching, I would try to sneak a wave in whenever I could so as not to raise any alarm.
She could tell when I had been waving heavily by the perspiration marks on my shirt when she did my laundry. I found her starting to watch me when I flinched to see if I was going to wave. She said she thought I needed help. I had now become a closet waver. Waving discreetly while wearing disguises. That is till my wife caught me and said "Either it's me or the waving, you make the choice" so, being the smart man, I picked her. That was 4 years ago now. After being in the program, I have a lot better control over my waving. I just wave at RVers now. Other vehicles will pass and My wife will look over at me and we smile at each other knowing I pretty much got this licked.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #27

There's such an emphasis on avoiding distracted driving now. I can see why people don't wave as much. Also, they have so many electronic gadgets in the cockpit, they may not even notice someone else waving at them. I have a friend who got more than a wave...he got hit with a shotgun blast from a car coming in the opposite direction. Thankfully, the upward angle of the blast ricocheted most of the shot off the driver's window and he got only minor injuries.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always wave. It makes me feel good. As far as Over the road truckers go, they are a whole new breed these days. If you go into a truck stop for fuel and go inside to pay. It looks like National Geographic. Most of the drivers have more wool on them than a sheep ranch. When they talk it sounds like they are trying to cough up a hair ball. It's a New World out there my friends.
However, I'm holding up my end with the waving and good buddying on the CB I'm still hanging on to the old. So if you see a maniac hauling down the Highway waving like a madman you can find me on CH 19, just call out for the Groundpounder. I'll give you a howdy and wave.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping