Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Is the Dealers MSRP a valid starting point when buying a motor home?

Many new rv buyers talk about getting 25 percent or more off the MSRP but is that really true? The dealer can take numbers out of the air when establishing the MSRP. So how is a buyer going to know if the negotiated price is fair?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Our Bounder had a window sticker, so it was pretty much like buying a car. Ask to see the build sheet or the window sticker; they are bound to have one for a brand new RV. Also, we found that the amount of discount depends on the dealership so be flexible and shop around. If an RV has sat on their lot for a while they are much more interested in dealing. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #3

Do not go by the sticker price because a frien of mine just bought a new tiffin And the sticker price was around $240,000.00 and he got it for $177,000.00 so be pation and shop around and always lowball when you make a offer because you can always go up in price but you can't come down. Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Man View Post
Many new rv buyers talk about getting 25 percent or more off the MSRP but is that really true? The dealer can take numbers out of the air when establishing the MSRP. So how is a buyer going to know if the negotiated price is fair?
MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. The dealer doesn't set it, it's on the factory sticker.

I was told by a factory rep that the MSRP is as much as 300% of dealer cost. That's a lot of wiggle room! Offer the dealer 2/3 of MSRP and he'll likely settle for something close. Everybody makes out: you save a bundle, he makes a bundle, the definition of a good deal ... and the advice about offering on a unit that has been sitting for a while is true. The longer it has been there, the more anxious the dealer will be to get it off the lot.
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeRef View Post

MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. The dealer doesn't set it, it's on the factory sticker.

I was told by a factory rep that the MSRP is as much as 300% of dealer cost. That's a lot of wiggle room! Offer the dealer 2/3 of MSRP and he'll likely settle for something close. Everybody makes out: you save a bundle, he makes a bundle, the definition of a good deal ... and the advice about offering on a unit that has been sitting for a while is true. The longer it has been there, the more anxious the dealer will be to get it off the lot.
This must have been a misunderstanding. Using these figures a coach with an MSRP of $300,000 would cost the dealer $100,000. I really don't believe dealers or the manufacturer enjoys this kind of pricing under anything approaching normal market conditions.

I do think that with careful shopping you should be able to get a 25-30% discount from MSRP. Under special circumstances you might do somewhat better.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
This must have been a misunderstanding. Using these figures a coach with an MSRP of $300,000 would cost the dealer $100,000. I really don't believe dealers or the manufacturer enjoys this kind of pricing under anything approaching normal market conditions.
Agree.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Man View Post
A lot of Dealers are advertising reductions of at least 25 percent so how far below that can one go. If the MSRP is inflated by the manufacturer 25 percent may not be 25
percent. I guess your really on your own when trying to cut a deal.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just make them an offer, even a low ball offer, and see what happens. You do not need someone else telling you what to offer, just think of a figure you believe is fair and make an offer. What's the worse that can happen, they say no deal, then you negotiate.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #9

3 rigs. They gave me numbers. I made an offer that made them look at me like I had 3 heads. 2 of the 3 times, they took my offer. 1st rig, they caved at slightly above my offer.
Current rig: 43% off of MSRP. They called me next day with the okey-doke.
Be brutal. Go for their gizzard.
It is YOUR money on the line.
You may be pleasantly surprized.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #10

One word of caution. Unless there has been a recent change I do not know about, there is no federal regulation about posting or accuracy of MSRPs for rvs. I have been at rv shows and found multiple "official" manufacturer's MSRP sheets thrown in drawers or closets, each with different pricing. If you go to different dealers you can find different MSRPs for identical units. So the answer is, unless you have done enough research at various sources, you really don't know whether the discount offered is good or bad.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #11

I just ordered a 2014 forest river c msrp on my paperwork is 96802, i paid 63480.. 20% off msrp is starting point for me.. I have done the same on a travel trailer (new) and also on a used class a, I got over 20% off asking price. As said above the bigger the dealership the more wiggle room they have, but even with the 63480 i paid the cost to the dealer to buy the unit for his lot was between 55000- 58000. That is from a good family friend who is still in the rv industry... so do the math msrp 96802 but dealer pays say even 58000, thats a hell of a profit.. My dealer acted like I was pulling teeth but said ok, he still made 5 to 8 grand...
hughsonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

jzick is right - there is no requirement for an MSRP windows sticker on Rvs, as there is for cars and light trucks. The RV manufacturer has a list price, but the number the dealer flaunts may not be it. Even if the manufacturer provides a window sticker, it may well have been removed and a dealer-printed price sheet substituted. The dealer should provide the manufacturer list price on request and should be be very leery if he refuses or stalls. By the way, if you contact the manufacturer with the VIN they will probably provide it to you.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
Do not go by the sticker price because a frien of mine just bought a new tiffin And the sticker price was around $240,000.00 and he got it for $177,000.00 so be pation and shop around and always lowball when you make a offer because you can always go up in price but you can't come down. Joe
When we ordered our 2002 DSDP the sticker price was $211,000, we paid $154,000.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My new buying philosophy is "work from the bottom up" Dealers expect you to try to get them down from their price. Try working up from your low ball price.
Hopefully you'll meet somewhere that makes sense for both parties.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote