Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Is there a greeting

Is there a greeting we can use when meeting passing MHs on the highway. I grew up in a time and erra that you would give a quick steering wheel wave to friends and strangers alike. in small towns it still happens. Would it be a bad thing to give on quick headlight flash when passing to say hello. I am always glad to see other MHs on the road and really enjoy it if we can run for a while down the road. Even if we never speak I kind of watch to make sure they are ok , feel they are a kindrid spirit
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=gutsgolf;1416667]Is there a greeting we can use when meeting passing MHs on the highway,Would it be a bad thing to give on quick headlight flash when passing to say hello.

This use of headlights usally means "police are around". I would stay with the steering wheel wave.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have seen both and responded to both! Some months ago there was a lengthy post as to MH owners not waving to one another. Seems the conclusion is "most don't wave cause they are too busy driving." So we experimented by waving to all. Some waved back but never on the interstate. We blink the lights and hopefully this is not misconstrued as Leo ahead! Most MH drivers are at the speed limit or below so IMHO the light flashing is a sign of "howdy fellow RV'er."
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsgolf View Post
Is there a greeting we can use when meeting passing MHs on the highway. I grew up in a time and erra that you would give a quick steering wheel wave to friends and strangers alike. in small towns it still happens. Would it be a bad thing to give on quick headlight flash when passing to say hello. I am always glad to see other MHs on the road and really enjoy it if we can run for a while down the road. Even if we never speak I kind of watch to make sure they are ok , feel they are a kindrid spirit
I give a BIG, arm over my head, slow move side to side, wave. I feel as you do, we are kindred spirits and a "hello" is warranted. However, it is almost never returned. Doesn't bother me, I will keep doing it in an effort to bring us all closer together. We have a Class A and I only do this with other similar motorhomes. I have had much luck, when standing outside my MH with a cup of coffee, to raise it in a toast and have had that returned many times. Might be easier to see me than when passing at 60 mph, I don't know, but I like it!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #5

Our rv is a converted school bus (skoolie) if we meet a fellow skoolie on the road theres lights flashing arms waveing, horns honking from both parties ,we had it happen, but this is the norm with the elite skoolies.

gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Here's some ideas.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/why-...ve-124482.html

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We always give a big wave to oncoming RVs. Sometimes they return the wave, sometimes they don't and sometimes there's just too much glare on their windshield to tell. On the interstates and other divided highways we will usually only wave at RVs that overtake us or other RVs that are overtaking.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
thanks clifftal good link, i appreciate all the good feed back
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #9

I have a Train airhorn off a locomotive running at 155 psi. You will hear it when we pass. LOL
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #10

I'll wave if it wont be distracting.

I notice waves from Wrangler drivers. Ya, I tow one.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #11

I wave but, never flash my lights. If somebody flashes there lights at me I usually get all paranoid, look for cops, and try to see if there is something wrong on the pickup or camper that is causing the other person to flash there lights at me. .
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
I wave but, never flash my lights. If somebody flashes there lights at me I usually get all paranoid, look for cops, and try to see if there is something wrong on the pickup or camper that is causing the other person to flash there lights at me. .

Perzactly X2
Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I'll wave & I'm happy to see LEO on the road with us!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Waving is good but on the interstate you are likely too far and too fast to do it.

As for flashing headlights.. This is a standard "Speed trap ahead" warning to other drivers and at least one state (FL) passed a law outlawing the practice that just went into effect.

Source, news article "Strange new laws for 2013" Yahoo news search should find it, or Google.

Oh, and it's also illegal for a driverless car to be going down the freeway without a human passanger in CA.