Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #15

The coaches that you see with 5 A/C units on the roof are almost always entertainer coaches. Yes, believe it or not, they need 5 units to keep the coach comfortable. There are generally a lot of folks on board and a lot of folks coming and going and they need that much A/C to stay comfortable.
We do work for Willie Nelson and I can tell you that they like it cool inside. Willie actually has 2 20K generators as they want ensured redundancy. The gen's run 24/7 while they are on the road (over 250 days a year the last time I checked). There are 2 drivers on board (one driving, one sleeping), Willie, Lana (his daughter and publicist) and David his tour manager. Of course, he also has 2 (or 3?) other buses for the rest of the band and crew as well as a tractor-trailer for the equipment.
I can tell you that this is one very tough life-style and if cool is what you want, 5 A/C's on the roof is what you need.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Speaking of girdle springs wound a bit too tight...

J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Their money, their coach, they can do what ever they want to do.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
The coaches that you see with 5 A/C units on the roof are almost always entertainer coaches. Yes, believe it or not, they need 5 units to keep the coach comfortable. There are generally a lot of folks on board and a lot of folks coming and going and they need that much A/C to stay comfortable.
Sounds to me like a typical Greyhound bus?
I don't think I've noticed multiple air units on top of one of those...
How do they keep cool?
Or are entertainers just naturally hotter than the rest of us?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #19

No, it sounds nothing like a Greyhound. How many folks do you know who live on a Greyhound? How many Greyhounds do you know of that host the press, have kitchens, a master bedroom, 4 bunk beds, multiple TV's, lounge areas.....
I tried to give the poster the information which might answer his question. I have no idea what the purpose of your response was.
There are many ways to provide A/C to the inside of a coach. One of these is known as Bus Air. This option requires a massive A/C compressor which is engine mounted, a massive evaporator system which usually takes up an entire storage bay area plus lots of electrically powered fans. It's great while driving (color me Greyhound) but of no use once parked and the engine is off.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:22 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Looking at tour buses online, a lot of them do have 5 or so AC units, so that is a possibility. Only thing is, is this looked a lot more like a nice class A than a tour bus.
SyrenSkywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:19 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
For the ones I saw, entertainer bus makes perfect sense.

BTW, maybe I am outrage-deficient, but I failed to detect any post here that was being unkind or judgmental or even mildly denigrating about some rigs with multiple ACs.

Just a question, a couple funny answers and some replies that appear to take offense at the other replies.

Maybe some folks need a few more air conditioners so they can cool down...

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It could be a mobile MORGUE!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Folks!!
The OP asked a serious legitimate question and deserves a serious answer. Those who think they are laughing “with” others as opposed to “at” others are doing so at the expense of the OP's question and it is disrespectful and off topic. There are some posters here that need to learn the difference between humor and ridicule.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrenSkywolf View Post
Looking at tour buses online, a lot of them do have 5 or so AC units, so that is a possibility. Only thing is, is this looked a lot more like a nice class A than a tour bus.
Not all "artists" can afford a bus conversion to travel but they can all afford and extra A/C unit. There are any number of reasons a coach might have 5 A/C's, I am just saying that the standard setup for an entertainer coach calls for 5 A/C until you get into the big Prevost H-345's which use a basement type A/C and even then you might see one A/C unit added to the roof to help with the cooling.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
We do work for Willie Nelson and I can tell you that they like it cool inside. Willie actually has 2 20K generators as they want ensured redundancy. The gen's run 24/7 while they are on the road (over 250 days a year the last time I checked). There are 2 drivers on board (one driving, one sleeping), Willie, Lana (his daughter and publicist) and David his tour manager. Of course, he also has 2 (or 3?) other buses for the rest of the band and crew as well as a tractor-trailer for the equipment.
I can tell you that this is one very tough life-style and if cool is what you want, 5 A/C's on the roof is what you need.
In Willie's case he needs to get the smoke cleared out. He needs all the fresh air he can get !
Moderator, This is not intended to be a funny or disrespectful answer and is intended to be read by serious posters only.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #26

I agree with ralpher, My suburban has left and right thermostats and another one in the rear! My wife loves it a lot(and so do I). Our camper came with three AC's and some times we run all of them. You gotta remember the entertainers are at work, not "camping". They also are on a schedule, it can work out they are in a cool climate for a few days and then be in a extremely hot and humid the next week.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
I can think of times I would like another AC unit up there. If you were in Dallas the past month you'd be wishing for a few more. Five?

Possibly they have plasma tv's on board and they put out more heat than the ave. flat screen. Maybe they have kids on board and they need to use the shower frequently which humidifies and heats the coach. Maybe the coach has an actual oven on board and they want to counteract the effects of the oven. Maybe they have all the above.

Lot's of reasons.
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrenSkywolf View Post
I think this is the winning answer.

@Mvlawn: They are evenly spaced right down the center of it, from front to back.
I will second that.