Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Folks!!
The OP asked a serious legitimate question and deserves a serious answer. Those who think they are laughing “with” others as opposed to “at” others are doing so at the expense of the OP's question and it is disrespectful and off topic. There are some posters here that need to learn the difference between humor and ridicule.
I have no problems whatsoever with funny answers. Unless I post something utterly serious concerning myself, needing serious answers to help me, I welcome humorous comments. I prefer seeing people with a sense of humor over people who act like they are in a funeral home.
SyrenSkywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #30

Besides, how serious can you get with that kind of a question. The only thing anyone can do is speculate. Only the manufacturer or the owner of that coach knows why there are 5 A/C units up there.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #31

Heartland RV Club
I was in Home Depot today and saw a portable ac, now that's what I'm talking about. I can put this baby in my outside screen enclosure and stay cool. for only $299.00 . Then I'll have 4 ac's
9,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Remote-LP0910WNR at The Home Depot

It's not about what you have or don't have ,It's about having fun. and sweating aint fun
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #32

"traveling meat market" ... "I think this is the winning answer." ... "keep the girdle spring tight?" ... "just don't like to sweat!" -- and then when note is made that we should be careful about joking there is denial.

It is not a matter of a sense of humor versus a funeral parlor but rather a sensitivity to civility.

Do stop and think about "I think we need to be a bit careful when making jokes about the preferences and needs of others - especially when we don't understand the circumstances." That is not a demand or instruction. It is not any dismissal of a sense of humor. It is not directed at anyone specifically. What it is is feedback that some of what was being said could easily be misinterpreted in a bad way.

The response only reinforced the need for feedback. It was misdirected and also used ridicule. Not a good thing, not constructive, IMHO.

And staying cool in hot extremes is not just a fun thing for some. It can be a significant health issue as well. So maybe the funeral reference does have its link to the discussion ...
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
"traveling meat market" ... "I think this is the winning answer." ... "keep the girdle spring tight?" ... "just don't like to sweat!" -- and then when note is made that we should be careful about joking there is denial.

It is not a matter of a sense of humor versus a funeral parlor but rather a sensitivity to civility.

Do stop and think about "I think we need to be a bit careful when making jokes about the preferences and needs of others - especially when we don't understand the circumstances." That is not a demand or instruction. It is not any dismissal of a sense of humor. It is not directed at anyone specifically. What it is is feedback that some of what was being said could easily be misinterpreted in a bad way.

The response only reinforced the need for feedback. It was misdirected and also used ridicule. Not a good thing, not constructive, IMHO.

And staying cool in hot extremes is not just a fun thing for some. It can be a significant health issue as well. So maybe the funeral reference does have its link to the discussion ...
"a sensitivity to civility" - "misdirected and used ridicule" ---- all I can say is WOW

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
There is also such a thing as a hyper-sensitivity to perceived insults and injuries, and I believe this is being demonstrated by some here.

Adios; I am exercising my privilege of NOT reading further in this thread. I presume others are capable of exercising this restraint as well.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #35

I looks to me like everyone is having a good time here! If that's not what this forum is all about then a lot of us are posting to the wrong forum!
Have you seen the Wal-Mart thread? It's like discussing Ford or Chevy over there but that thread is the longest on this forum (I believe).
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #36

A very good friend of mine installs those a/cs in the bigger mohos. I showed him this thread and he fell out laughing.

He didnt tell me what they are for, but boy did he llaugh.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #37

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
I looks to me like everyone is having a good time here! If that's not what this forum is all about then a lot of us are posting to the wrong forum!
Have you seen the Wal-Mart thread? It's like discussing Ford or Chevy over there but that thread is the longest on this forum (I believe).

I bet you could chill out big time with 5 ac's while parking in a Walmart overnight.
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #38

re: "There is also such a thing as a hyper-sensitivity to perceived insults and injuries, and I believe this is being demonstrated by some here." -- now I wonder what that could be - it seems there is a lot of this vague insinuation and innuendo going on ...

re: "all I can say is WOW" -- perhaps there is something to learn?

re: "I bet you could chill out big time with 5 ac's while parking in a Walmart overnight." -- that depends. If you are in a spot with 100+ night time temperatures on asphalt that has been soaking up heat all day with a high humidity, you might have a tough time keeping the interior cool enough for good sleeping.

The blood bank's mobile facility here, a class A sized vehicle, also has 5 AC's on the roof.

One thing to keep in mind with RV's is that they have a small volume to surface ratio coupled with not much space for insulation plus leaky joints and seams of slideouts and a lot of glass. All of those factors can make effective cooling a difficult proposition.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
A very good friend of mine installs those a/cs in the bigger mohos. I showed him this thread and he fell out laughing.

He didnt tell me what they are for, but boy did he llaugh.
When he stops laughing, could you ask him???
I'm actually pretty curious- seems like a regular refrigeration unit or something central with ducting would be more efficient on these great big rigs.
Or maybe something that's mounted out of the blazing sun...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
When he stops laughing, could you ask him???
I'm actually pretty curious- seems like a regular refrigeration unit or something central with ducting would be more efficient on these great big rigs.
Or maybe something that's mounted out of the blazing sun...
One advantage to the roof units is they don't use any of your storage bay space. They are also cheap to replace if the need arises. If the the basement model fails you may have no a/c, if a roof unit fails you still four left.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #41

Looked at a unit that was a traveling classroom for computers.It had a bunch of AC units cause of all the heat from people and electronics.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Folks!!
The OP asked a serious legitimate question and deserves a serious answer. Those who think they are laughing “with” others as opposed to “at” others are doing so at the expense of the OP's question and it is disrespectful and off topic. There are some posters here that need to learn the difference between humor and ridicule.
Jeeze ! Nowyadidit
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote