Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Interesting concept YC1. Ya got me thinking. A lot of sound studio's have what looks like egg crate insulation on the walls. Funny, in the old tv show, He-Haw, with Buck and Roy, they were actually had real egg crates. I wonder if there's a heat resistant egg crate like insulation that could be put inside of the generator compartment.

My onboard Onan is a 7kw and it's pretty quiet, but not as quiet as I'd like it, especially when sitting just under the awning and watching the 32" flat screen we put inside the basement storage. Now I'm wondering if a gen-turi and some extra insulation might help that out. The gen-turi for sure, if for nothing else, the deflection of the exhaust fumes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The Genturi made a terrific improvement by removing the exhaust fumes. I used to set a fan up to blow them away. The fumes would come under the mh and make sitting under the awing uncomfortable. The redirection of sound helps a bit too.

I looked at my generator manual after my last post and decided that I might try adding some insulation on the inside of the covers. My mh is in storage so I won't tackle that right away. I have been in anti echo chambers before and it is remarkable how quiet they can be. I don't think we have room to do that type of dampening. I was standing next to a 25kw generator and it was less than half the noise of my 8kw onan. As you stated they are fairly quiet and with air conditioners running you don't mind but often I just want to charge the batteries and would enjoy hearing the birds while doing so.

I recently spent a couple of days building an enclosure for my Honda 1000. As quiet as it is I really wanted to experiment. I did get the noise down quite a bit but haven't run it on a very hot day and with a heavy load so don't know if heat will be an issue. I don't think it will because of the way it pulls air.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
YC1, you have to vent that box or you will scorch the Honda. I have dome some work on low noise large A/C chiller (50 HP up to about 500 HP) and just putting a box around it is not the solution. We built some A/C 88 HP units that met 65 dbA at 10 meters. Moving air to cool an engine or an air cooled condenser makes noise. It takes special inlet baffles and outlet attenuators to keep the sound from attenuating from the box, but still get the air required for cooling.

Don't scorch the Honda.....

Ken
Old 09-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The Hondas are quiet primarily because they are an inverter type generator rather than direct AC generation. That means they can run at lower RPMs when the load is less than 100%, so much less noise. A direct generator has to run at a constant 3600 RPMs no matter what the load, so they are always loud. Newer ones are less so than previous generations, though.

Honda also help by making a their engines to very tight specs, so less NVH. But you can buy a honda-powered genset (e.g. from Northern Tool) and it is nowhere near as quit as the Honda "i" series gensets, and that's because of the direct vs inverter difference.

Onan makes inverter gensets, but they seem to be only the diesel models. My Onan 7500 Quite Diesel makes much less noise than my previous Onan gas 5000.
Sorry, but you have some wrong info:
We have an 8.0 KW Power Tech, it is a constant speed (1800 rpm). The Onan inverter units run at 1,800 to 3,600 rpm, and they are only quieter at throttle, after that they are as loud as our PT and at full load our PT is actually quieter.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #19

Out of boredom and the desire to keep everyone near where I camp happy, I sought out and found a muffler to fit the space between my Onan 5500 and the tip. AZ, NAPA and O'Reilly's were no help.

While looking for a Meineke muffler shop, I found this one at a hole-in-wall muffler shop. The guy wanted $20. I convinced him nobody else would buy it and he bit on $10. It's 16-1/2" from the 1-1/2" inlet weld to the 1-1/2" outlet tip with a 3-1/2" diameter. Tip to end weld is 2". Unknown brand part # is 190588.

With the stock Onan muffler, it lowered the db by 1-2 and made it mellower.

I cut off the existing flange on the new muffler and welded the muffler onto the cut off Onan down pipe. I originally painted it with hi-temp silver, but it stuck out so bad, I re-painted it with hi-temp flat black.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #20

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Out of boredom and the desire to keep everyone near where I camp happy, I sought out and found a muffler to fit the space between my Onan 5500 and the tip. AZ, NAPA and O'Reilly's were no help.

While looking for a Meineke muffler shop, I found this one at a hole-in-wall muffler shop. The guy wanted $20. I convinced him nobody else would buy it and he bit on $10. It's 16-1/2" from the 1-1/2" inlet weld to the 1-1/2" outlet tip with a 3-1/2" diameter. Tip to end weld is 2". Unknown brand part # is 190588.

With the stock Onan muffler, it lowered the db by 1-2 and made it mellower.

I cut off the existing flange on the new muffler and welded the muffler onto the cut off Onan down pipe. I originally painted it with hi-temp silver, but it stuck out so bad, I re-painted it with hi-temp flat black.

It looks like an old Cherry Bomb. Was it red when you got it?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #21

A little small for a bomb. It was silver(bare metal) when I got it.

I had to use my cut-off wheel and sander disk to remove a bracket and heat shield and make it look pretty before paint.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:01 AM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
JK Keeper......I found my Onan 4K in my Class C was fairly loud outside of the coach. I also noticed that depending on the ground surface, dirt, cement, asphalt etc, the noise changed somewhat. The generator was bouncing most of its noise (mechanical) off of the ground. Take carpet padding or an old egg crate section and place it directly under the generator (on the ground) and see if it's quieter.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:28 AM   #23

How big does it have to be?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
There is an older Newell I see at the CG we winter at that appears to have the exhaust from the generator routed up through the inside and out the roof. I'm not sure how the heat is handled but doesn't a set up like this make sense? Noise, heat, dangerous fumes and odor out the top not the side where people are.

If I think of it when we get there I will ask him about it and report back.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
There is an older Newell I see at the CG we winter at that appears to have the exhaust from the generator routed up through the inside and out the roof. I'm not sure how the heat is handled but doesn't a set up like this make sense? Noise, heat, dangerous fumes and odor out the top not the side where people are...
It sounds like a good idea and would look better than a Genturi hanging off the side or back but I would be concerned about a leak in the exhaust where it goes through the interior of the coach. It would be harder to service and sealing the roof penetration by a piece of metal that will be expanding and contracting with the wide varioation in temperature would be challenging. All that may be one reason why you don't see that much (cost could be another).
Old 09-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #26

As far as heat; I can leave my hand on the new muffler at idle.
What about those oval double walled chimney pipes used for residential heaters?
The ones I used years ago, might be a little big, but smaller sizes may be available.
They were in 4' sections that just snapped together and were somewhat flexible where they joined. They went between the drywall.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #27

Depending on where your ladder is, you could route the exhaust underneath and have it routed to the top between the ladder and the MH with chimney pipe. Won't help with mechanical noise though.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #28

Since there seems to be a mix of onboard RV generator AND portable generator comments here, I'll add my 2 cents . . .

I haven't purchased one of these yet, by from what I've read online these work pretty good for portable generators.

SuperGen Products: Designs: SuperGen Tent

Tags
generator