Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #15

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
ECO or green bleach is a dilute hydrogen peroxide ,found in laundry aisle .

spray on and forget it (roll up) when it un rolls next time its as clean as new ,even sap comes off with just a garden hose spray and not as harmful as chlorine.
Good idea. What is the ratio?
genecusano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #16

Right out of the jug ,I believe its 5% for laundry use. I use a spray bottle that we all have laying around,dont even need 100% coverage ,after its rolled up seems to spread itself around.
DO NOT use the stuff from 'the I want to be a blonde' aisle in the drug store ,that stuff is 20% or more.
bad things could happen
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
ok - when prepping for our trip today, extended the awning and saw BUGS squished in there

went to Wally world and couldn't locate this eco stuff.. (but am not real familiar with the laundry aisle as the wife says I'm not trained or qualified enough to go down that aisle !)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #18

I am going to try green bleach or ECO as soon as I can find it. I looked in the laundry isle in two grocery chains in central Ohio. Now I am in western Pa. and am going to look here.

I hope this stuff is not regional.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #19

Kent I'm looking also in Mansfield going to burleson to HEB ill call if they have it
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #20

Tuff: You are receiving some advice on how to rid of mold and mildew and hopefully not attract it again during storage. I do not have the answer for you....I do have a constructive comment that I learned from a learning session this year at the KY RV and Boat Show. The trainer for the session on vinyl cleaning and awning maintenance detailed
some great info on vinyl maintenance and it caught my ear. He described cleaning as a gentle process....using a mild soap and some foam blocks he cuts in sponge size. He stated that soaps like Dawn and Joy work well with a little water as they lather really good. Many asked about bleach and mildew dissolving products...and he retorted.... these products can rot the threads that bind the awning and thus shorten the life of the awning ...not by destroying the awning material but rather the nylon threads that sew it together. This made sense to me and I am passing this forward to you.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #21

I am going to try green bleach or ECO as soon as I can find it. I looked in the laundry isle in two grocery chains in central Ohio. Now I am in western Pa. and am going to look here.

I hope this stuff is not regional.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #22

I have seen it called 'oxygen bleach' as well ,maybe we should start a list.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #23

Ugh - found spash-less, concentrated, scented, ready to use, gel, he, outdoor, ultra concentrated, linen, lavender, but no - green or oxygen at the Walmart. I tried Giant Eagle, Kroger, and now Walmart. I stopped looking at the laundry detergent and now only look in the bleach sections.

Is the green bleach in the bleach section or with the laundry detergents?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Effective mildew mitigation requires an understanding of how it forms. It feeds on organics that settle on the awning, and of course requires moisture to thrive. Any dust, plant, or animal residue that is on the awning when it is rolled up will surely form mildew when exposed to moisture and a fairly broad temperature range. Mildew will NOT form on CLEAN dry awning material, as it doesn't feed on what the awning is made of.

So, no matter whatever else you do to prevent mildew, start out by thoroughly cleaning and drying the awning before rolling it up prior to going into storage. If you must roll it up wet at the campsite (it happens), be sure to roll it out, clean it and let dry within a day or two!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the tip. I don't have problems with my awnings. I shook off rolled up and stored my white tire covers and forgot about them a week or so Big mistake.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
Effective mildew mitigation requires an understanding of how it forms. It feeds on organics that settle on the awning, and of course requires moisture to thrive. Any dust, plant, or animal residue that is on the awning when it is rolled up will surely form mildew when exposed to moisture and a fairly broad temperature range. Mildew will NOT form on CLEAN dry awning material, as it doesn't feed on what the awning is made of.

So, no matter whatever else you do to prevent mildew, start out by thoroughly cleaning and drying the awning before rolling it up prior to going into storage. If you must roll it up wet at the campsite (it happens), be sure to roll it out, clean it and let dry within a day or two!
I see you watched the same on video I did,its fine to keep dry and not store wet,but its a head scratcher on how to accomplish this?
I always store mine dry but it gets wet again as soon as the next rain fall,and I cant remember ever unrolling it and not having rain water come out too.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Ugh - found spash-less, concentrated, scented, ready to use, gel, he, outdoor, ultra concentrated, linen, lavender, but no - green or oxygen at the Walmart. I tried Giant Eagle, Kroger, and now Walmart. I stopped looking at the laundry detergent and now only look in the bleach sections.

Is the green bleach in the bleach section or with the laundry detergents?
Sorry for all you trouble,it may just not be a product available in all parts of the country?
If its not in the laundry aisle you can make you own I suppose from drug store Hydrogen peroxide ,just reduce the concentration to 5%.