Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #1

Is there anyway to keep mildew off the awning?

Picked my trailer up from dealer/storage. Every year I have to clean the awning. It gets mold/mildew on it that needs to be bleached and scrubbed out.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #2

Can you leave it open when in storage?

Old 06-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #3

Spray with hydrogen peroxide (eco or green bleach) found in laundry aisle ,roll it up ,wait a few days or all winter if you want ,rinse off after unrolling and it will be like new .
This is what I have been doing for years without the damage /ageing that is caused by bleach,it will even get rid of sap.
and your clothes will love you for it ,I cant even look at bleach and my clothes fall apart.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

Take RV to AZ every winter and stay with it.
Clean and dry prior to storage , would be the biggest factor.
I was lucky when I stored over the winters before I retired, RV was always in my yard and I had access to remove snow and open the awning to air it out after heavy rains. Made a point of doing this after letting it sit rolled up one year with the required spring mold removal. Lucky that it was a mostly white vinyl and could tolerate a good scrub , using a brand name awning cleaner.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #5

ECO or green bleach is a dilute hydrogen peroxide ,found in laundry aisle .

spray on and forget it (roll up) when it un rolls next time its as clean as new ,even sap comes off with just a garden hose spray and not as harmful as chlorine.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
Spray with hydrogen peroxide (eco or green bleach) found in laundry aisle ,roll it up ,wait a few days or all winter if you want ,rinse off after unrolling and it will be like new .
This is what I have been doing for years without the damage /ageing that is caused by bleach,it will even get rid of sap.
and your clothes will love you for it ,I cant even look at bleach and my clothes fall apart.
Sounds like a great idea. Wish I'd known about it before I spent several hours scrubbing mine. Bet that won't happen again.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #7

I think I answered your identical thread in another board.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #8

Ray, IN - I do not see your answer on either posts.

If you have a way to keep mold/mildew off awnings I would like to hear it. Please repost.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #9

Sorry, I must have answered another person or the reply disappeared into neverland. Anyway, once you have the awning clean and dry, use one of the many mold prevention products on the market to hinder more mold/mildew. Eliminate, Clean & Prevent Mold with Concrobium Mold Removal Products is just one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
surprised that the peroxide doesn't change the color at all - if not, I'm going to walmart to buy 5 gallons

What dilution rate do you buy 5% and do you use it at that strength ?

thanks in advance !
Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
surprised that the peroxide doesn't change the color at all - if not, I'm going to walmart to buy 5 gallons

What dilution rate do you buy 5% and do you use it at that strength ?

thanks in advance !
Do not buy the 'I wana be a blond' stuff - too strong maybe ? Just the HP in the laundry aisle , its right in with chlorine bleach,its 5% and safe, never faded my old awning in 10 years of use and thats leaving it on all off season rolled up.
If you look at the anti mildeu stuff its all mostly hydrogen peroxide only more costly
Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #12

Just be careful with the hydrogen Peroxide, if it drips on your hair, you will have unwanted highlights!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks - will watch for that (as I already have naturally aged highlights !)

and actually when little tykes our lovable Mom made us gargle with peroxide when we had sore throats !!!

we learned just not to tell her the bubbling was so much fun !!!! (more I think about it, maybe that was her logic ?!?)
Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #14

re hair Its not that strong ,thats the 20% stuff from the drug store,I have got it in my face and hair (dont ask) even swallowed a bit -ugg- the laundry stuff is called by different names I have seen ECO bleach,Green bleach,oxygen bleach ,who knows what names it goes by in different parts of the country.But its 5% or less so use it right out of the jug ,spray on ,roll up..........wait a day or so or all winter ,unroll, rinse.
repeat ? I have never had to do it twice in a row.
A good friend tried it and claimed tree sap came off with a swipe of a brush.