Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2018, 08:21 AM   #1

Condensation from roof

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	220883
I have a question regarding the condensation from the AC. Do they make some kind of device I can attach to divert the water from dripping right there on the side of my trailer. It drips on both sides of the trailer but if I could somehow divert it or just not have it cause a small flood near my doorstep that’d be nice. I know one solution is to not run my AC so much but I’m camping here in Florida and it’s 90 something degrees lol. Thanks for any tips you guys might have
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #2

I used this Trim-Lok drip rail on the side of our MH to re-direct water that ran down the window beside the driver position.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can adjust the level of the RV slightly so the runoff is directed to the other side or end.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #4

I didn’t really think about adjusting the rv, but that makes sense. I’ll definitely do that for now. I like that rain gutter thing too, does it install above the awning though? Would it get in the way? The main problem I have is it dripping off the corner of the front so I’m not sure if it would really solve my problem though because the water would still drip off at the same place I think. I really think it’s a cool product though. Thanks for the quick replies! [emoji1303][emoji3]
Old 10-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #5

Is there such a thing...

I kind of posed this question a few weeks ago and got a few mixed responses about different solutions, but I want to see if anybody has heard of this solution. I camp in florida quite a bit and have the AC going in the summer time which of course produces condensation that can create a mini flood in front of the RV lol. One of the earlier responses was a gutter system (which our already seems to have but diverts it to the front of the trailer) or to angle the trailer for it to drip off the other side, but I would like to maybe find a 5 gallon bucket or something with a hose coming out the side that I can just place on the ground to collect the dripping water and divert the water to the other side of the trailer so it could run off on the other side and drain off over there. Has anybody else considered doing this or is there any better solutions? I guess I could make my own but I've researched online to see if there were any nicer looking ones or better ideas and just can't seem to find anything. Thanks so much
Old 10-16-2018, 07:26 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe something like this?

http://m.rainchainsstore.com/Home.html
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I carry a small plastic wash tub to collect the condensation. Then just dump it usually 1-2 days.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #8

You can go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and get a water heater tray with a drain connection built in. Light weight, slim and portable. I used one for a portable AC unit in case the condensation tray overflowed.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Camco-Manuf...tting/50146624
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #9

Often when camping and running the air conditioners on the roof, I would find it dripping here or there. Often enough, it would run down the awning and drip here or there. I agree, a puddle could develop.

I also camped for years with dogs. I did not pay that much attention to the water, but they did.

After a while, I just put a bowl under the spot where it dripped off the canopy, and pitched it and the motor home so that I had a self filling water bowl for the dogs.

My last dog has passed, and now that my wife has left me (something about wanting to live with her new husband) so I don't have a dog now. (I travel for work too much, and dogs need more time than I can offer currently).

I have no solution for the current situation I am in. I frequently camp with my teenage daughter, and often with a friend or two of hers. I suspect they will find less positive uses for water dripping from the roof.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Often when camping and running the air conditioners on the roof, I would find it dripping here or there. Often enough, it would run down the awning and drip here or there. I agree, a puddle could develop.

I also camped for years with dogs. I did not pay that much attention to the water, but they did.

After a while, I just put a bowl under the spot where it dripped off the canopy, and pitched it and the motor home so that I had a self filling water bowl for the dogs.

My last dog has passed, and now that my wife has left me (something about wanting to live with her new husband) so I don't have a dog now. (I travel for work too much, and dogs need more time than I can offer currently).

I have no solution for the current situation I am in. I frequently camp with my teenage daughter, and often with a friend or two of hers. I suspect they will find less positive uses for water dripping from the roof.
Suddenly having a puddle of water in front of my RV doesn't seem to be that major an issue anymore lol
Old 10-16-2018, 11:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
You can go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and get a water heater tray with a drain connection built in. Light weight, slim and portable. I used one for a portable AC unit in case the condensation tray overflowed.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Camco-Manuf...tting/50146624
I have a feeling that tray would allow the dripping water to splatter everywhere.

My DIL uses a 5 gallon bucket which is not only cheap, but can be useful for other things. Not sure how long it takes for his to fill but I'm pretty sure it goes more than a day here in hot muggy Texas. As mentioned by the OP, it would be easy to drill a hole in it, install a barbed type fitting, and attach a hose to divert the water someplace else.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
You can adjust the level of the RV slightly so the runoff is directed to the other side or end.
That's what I would do!
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof