Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #1

Is there such a thing as generator insurance

Hi,

I just dropped the hammer on this generator

Champion Power Equipment 3,400-Watt Dual Fuel Push-Button Electric Start Portable Inverter Generator with Parallel Capability-100263 - The Home Depot

I know its covered via my truck and RV insurance, but i have a high deductible.

Is there insurance out there just for the replacement of generators since they are often stolen?
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, it's a padlock and heavy chain.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have heard of Gens being stolen, but I have in 45 years of RVING never been next or around one. But to your question, there is insurance for everything , but is it worth it? A good heavy cable and bolted to something solid is most likely the best insurance. Crooks hate time consuming adventures. The only Gens I have heard of being stolen are Honda and those not being restrained to prevent the quick grab.

LEN
Old 05-21-2017, 07:07 AM   #4

Two choices--secure it as mentioned above, or take out a rider such as I have for my laptop. You should be able to pick a deductible less than the policy states for RV and House.
But, at $1100, and an extra premium to get the rider, it isn't going to be logical to insure it--and they aren't stolen very often.
Get a high-quality cable lock or put it away when not around.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #5

You can make a "theft deterrent device" yourself easy and cheap.

Visit a well stocked hardware store that sells "wire rope" as this is a type of cable used in wenches so it is flexible and strong as well as difficult to cut with "handy" tools.

On your rv locate a suitable anchor point where an eye bolt can be added as well as something in the genny.

A good eye bolt with locking hardware.

Have loops made on tge ends of the cable with crimp on fasteners and get some good locks to attach cable to eyebolts.

Quick and easy as well as not expensive.

Yes a cable cutter can be used but not handy so the potential bad guy moves on.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dave View Post
Hi,

I just dropped the hammer on this generator

Champion Power Equipment 3,400-Watt Dual Fuel Push-Button Electric Start Portable Inverter Generator with Parallel Capability-100263 - The Home Depot

I know its covered via my truck and RV insurance, but i have a high deductible.

Is there insurance out there just for the replacement of generators since they are often stolen?
Do you have a pawn shop near you? Gotta have them drugs.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:21 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Well all you can do today is deter a would be thief by making your whatever less attractive to steal vs someone else's. With the advent of battery powered grinders or small plasma touches chains and locks can be broken in sometimes under a minute. Bike thieves do this all the time. But chains and locks are still good to make it more difficult to steal. Now you can also have an alarming device upon movement. I lock my generator up in my truck when I am not around. But I rarely use a generator and often when I use it is when one else is around or I know everyone.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:16 PM   #8

Thanks, i will do all of that and ill have it spot welded down if i can..
Old 05-30-2017, 08:48 PM   #9

Well i got a big problem here. The first day this generator worked great, ran it for about 5 hours no problems. The next morning i changed the oil as directed.

Sometime during the day i turned on the AC and i forgot the water heater was still on so it overloaded the generator and killed it.

Ever since then even with nothing else on in the RV as soon as i turn on the AC it kills the generator. I called champion support and they told me to try some things, so i did the reset on the carb, also made sure everything was off in the RV and then turned on just the fan, then turned on the AC after that so that both the fan and AC were not hitting all at once. Still the same... So here is what they told me.

They said that new engines have to break themselves in, in the process of doing that there is a valve that is not being broken in correctly and it needs a quick adjustment (about a 20 min job), they told me to call back today after the holiday and they would give me a local tech to work on it.

So i called them today, the first number they gave me said that it would be about a week to 10 days before they could even look at it. So i called champion back and they gave me another business number.

So i called that number and they said that they "might be able to look at it quicker" so i dropped it off early this morning.

Here is the kicker.... The tech (owner) there told me that he has worked on about 10 of these units in the last couple of months and that these units are NOT designed for RV's.... He said that he has even called camping world to tell them to STOP selling these units telling people that they are for RV's because they are not. He said that what happens is once you overload the unit then the breakers will blow all the time after that and never be the same until you replace them, he said there is no valve and that its the breakers that are the problem. He said if i continue to use this for my RV that i will eventually ruin the circut board and other items.

This place does not sell honda so i ask them is it worth it to pay the extra 2 grand and get a honda and he said "every time" he said the difference is that the honda and yamaha models as well as one other model that they do sell are designed for RV's.

So i called back today to see if they had a chance to look at it and they said it would be a week before they could even get to it.

So then later to day i went to another RV dealer to get something else i needed and i ask them about the champions as a professional courtesy. They said that champions are entry level into the market and they would NOT depend on them for RV's. They suggested dual yamaha's for about $2000 and link them together.

So i am alittle perplexed here. First the only reasons i got champion is because i heard good things about it and it was reasonably priced.

Now i dont know what to do.

1. Get my money back and save for a yamaha or honda?
2. Keep the champion but get the extended warranty so im covered for anything that happens. But that will tick me off having to always find a tech and drive the unit to them rather than they come to me.
3. Get my money back and spend the $4-$6 grand i would spend on a honda on rv sites so i dont need a generator.
4. Just go without a generator all together.
5. Maybe i can ask champion to send me another unit and the shop can send mine back to them so they can diagnose it and make improvements.

This really makes me mad ya know.. i looked at what others were saying about having a 2000 watt and it working good, so i got a 3500 watt and its still not enough. Everyone now is telling me that i need at least a 6000 watt to be able to run multiple systems on the RV..

I have not called home depot where i got it online because they just sell them they dont service them.

I dont know what to do?
Old 05-30-2017, 09:06 PM   #10

Well if they Have told You that the generator is Not for RV use it is No Good For Your Application. So return It. Just My opinion.
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:46 AM   #11

3500 watts is a bit small as well as many manufacturers use peak power instead of continuous loaded power which may be less.

Get your money back by all means if possible as that is a limited option.

Now do some reasonable enginerring....

Add up all of your loads to see what size you need.

Look at the nomenclature plate on everything you plug in or the manuals if handy and add up all of the watts numbers.

Anything listed as amps need to be converted so multiply amps X volts.

Multiply by volts listed on tge label as some things may be 12 volts post converter but power is consistent so to speak.

Once this is done add a bit or round up to the next size.

Then ask to see the manufacturer sales sheets that show the unit as foe your use and as continuous duty at your load.

Last come back here and ask as many here have already traveled that road
Old 05-31-2017, 04:39 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a custom built tailgating trailer and run it with a Honda EU2000i paralleled with a Honda EU2000i companion. Paralleled they put out more than enough to run the a/c, televisions, satellite, receivers, multiple fans, etc.

They are well worth the price. We have a Honda home generator that is 16 years old and still runs great.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:18 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Sounds like you have weaken the breaker to the point it won't take the load. If the generator runs otherwise. Does it trip on either of the other outlets if put on a heavy load? Just replace the 30 amp breaker should fix it. My neighbor overloaded​ my 30 amp breaker in my garage one time and ruined the breaker. Had to replace it because it would trip under any load. New breaker installed an no more problems. I would also mention that no generator no matter what color brand will not hold up if you overload them. You may have gotten one with a bad breaker as I have had no problems with my champion. Best of luck.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #14

Thanks everyone, yes i spoke with the MFG the other day, he told me that the tech who said that is full of it. He said that there is no way the federal gov would let them sell these units and put a RV receptical on them if it was not legal and if they were not intended for RV's. He also told me that the breakers of these units are built into the board, he offered to save me from waiting for the shop and overnight a new board to me and i can install it myself, he said its not that hard. I will wait to see what the shop says on tuesday.. If they say it will be another week i will just go pick it up and have the MFG overnight the board to me.

Yes the MFG did say that if you overload them a couple of times its not good at all and can weaken the breakers substantially. He said to just be careful what i run and when, and that now that i know what feature pulls what amps that i should have no other problems with the unit as long as i remember not to overload it.

I thought about going to pick up the unit and taking it to the original shop T&S services here in Albuquerque, but i have heard bad things about their service and professionalism... So ill stick with franks. Frank might be very good but just a jerk, i dont care as long as he does the job right.

Tags
generator, insurance