Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #1

Is there such a thing as portable waste tank that hooks to bumper of car??

We are being forced to move our live-in RV from the great property we are on (it's presence broke a city ordinance of no more than two residences per property apparently) and back to a spot that has no sewer hookup. Unfortunately, we can't afford to be in the fancy-dancy high priced RV parks here--they charge HEFTY tourist rates.

We found out about PORTABLE WASTE HOLDING TANKS, but I'm assuming they are far too heavy for us to load on the back of the truck.

So.....do you know if there are any which hook to the back of your truck and can be PULLED to the waste station dump??

Thanks for any answers.

Janie
doodlebug52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, here.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ste-tanks/6073

Hope this helps, can not tow a long distance, meant to go from your site to the dump station through the park.

You can also use a macerator pump and pump the holding tank up to a holding tank in the back of the truck and then go to the dump station and gravity will do the rest.

http://www.tweetys.com/clean-dump-rv-macerator.aspx

Jim
Old 08-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see a lot of people use this tote to haul there waste water. all they do is put the handle over there trailer ball and wrap a bungee cord around it to hold it on the ball and off to the dump station

Thetford Smart-Tote and Smart-Tote LX Portable Waste Tanks you can buy it at camper world
Old 08-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #4

Jim's suggestion of a macerator pump and a plastic tank from a farm store is a logical choice if the dump station is any distance away. You may purchase a tank large enough to empty all your RV tanks at once, most any pickup will haul a full 100G tank.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #5

8#/gal ... honeywagon

"Back of the envelope" calclulation ... waste weighs about 8# per gallon ... this will help you calculate the weight that you can haul.

In my hometown, the porta-potty people also provide a "honey-wagon" service ... you might check them out ... perhaps you could purchase an auxiliary tank that would extend the time between service.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have seen several construction type set ups with a waste tank of what looks likes 400-500 gallon tanks set above ground. The honey wagon comes by when needed to empty them. They expanded our runway at local AP a few years back and the job superintendant was an RVer who just moved onto the job site. He had such a setup and it worked fine for over a year.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The standard Blue Boy tote comes in assorted sizes. The 5 gallon size, no way to tow

I have a 10Gallon if I'm not mistaken.. Again no way to tow unless you get creative (I did) Here is a link to one company that sells the Tote-a-long tanks such as I have
http://store.generalrv.com/Items/ori...%20Tote-Alongs This should take you straight to the product page.. Many RV dealers sell this type of tank, I did not find this brand on the Camping World site though... I like the blue tanks better than the Tetford ones CW sells.

Here is a link to the "Tow Bracket" NOTE that the larger tanks do not need this (They are designed to be towed) and it won't fit the smallest tanks (5 and 10 gallon) though I modified one to fit a 10 gallon tank. I'm not sure on the 15 gallon tank but THINK it fits those

http://store.generalrv.com/Items/163...=Tow%20Bracket
Old 08-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #8

Smile

Hi everyone. Thanks for your great replies. Based on what you said, plus upon doing research all over the net, we decided on the 4-wheeler 42 gallon waste tank. And...found it the very cheapest here WITHOUT shipping costs: RV Supply Warehouse Other sizes have fabulous prices there, too. If you buy over $150...free shipping.

We chose the 42'er because we are moving our 5th wheel to a place with electricity and water...and the sewer opening is about 35 yards away. Since we plan on keeping the 5th wheel there for quite awhile and living in it (scoping out the town and moving here anyway), made sense to get the big one.

Janie
doodlebug52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
paz

The larger tanks are quite heavy when full. They are designed to be towed over smooth, paved roads. Too many bumps put too much strain on the tanks with that much weight in them, and they may split. Don't ask me how I know this.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug52 View Post
Hi everyone. Thanks for your great replies. Based on what you said, plus upon doing research all over the net, we decided on the 4-wheeler 42 gallon waste tank. And...found it the very cheapest here WITHOUT shipping costs: RV Supply Warehouse Other sizes have fabulous prices there, too. If you buy over $150...free shipping.

We chose the 42'er because we are moving our 5th wheel to a place with electricity and water...and the sewer opening is about 35 yards away. Since we plan on keeping the 5th wheel there for quite awhile and living in it (scoping out the town and moving here anyway), made sense to get the big one.

Janie
Since you are only 105 feet from the sewer have you considered a waste pump with a 3/4 or 1 inch hose? Not hitching and unhitching etc. To fill the towable to capacity and then lug almost 400 lbs to the sewer on level pavement would be one thing however add a slight hill or sod and you'll be getting quite a workout. The wheels seem a bit narrow for use on unpaved ground also so it could tend to get bogged down.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #11

have you considered???

have you considered a macerator pump ... they are capable of pumping 35 yards ...

==> Here is ONE such system

You would only need to lay the hose once ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
doodlebug52... by all means go with the macerator pump. I've had one for 5 years and it works great. The spec's on the one I have says it will pump to about 200 feet. I haven't used it that far yet but I dump everytime I come home into a sewer connection I have in the back of the garage from the street. It's about 90 feet as well as a little uphill from the rv. I haven't had any problems with it.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #13

+2 on the macerator. 105 feet! easy. i was pushing s#!t 100 feet at a 20 foot elevation gain with no problem with my pump (into the clear out hole in my sewer system in Conifer CO). no problems, no pushing waste anywhere.

could you run a pvc pipe over to the sewer opening?

for $285 bucks, I think you have a few options to work out.

Macerator FloJet&reg Macerator Pump - Item - Camping World $175, new hose 20 bucks.......

bk

2004 BigFoot 29SL
Bill Killen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Janie - Another vote for the macerator pump. I use a FloJet waste pump to pump my tanks 125ft up a 5 ft rise thru a 3/4 in hose to a clean out port every week at a rennasance festival we work at. I have never had a problem and have been doing it or 5 years now. I also pump about 75 ft here at home when I park the rig in the driveway. You are so close to a place to pump that is seems a shame to go thru the hassle to haul and dump!
Texas Boomers, FMCA #366366 SKP #91936
'03 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PWD
RandD is offline   Reply With Quote