Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Good info Thanks

I noticed Michelin includes RV with Bus category and not Truck, even though we buy truck tires.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Sorry but the sidewall crackin effects several other Mich line of tires including XZA2 & 3 as well. Do some searching, you'll see.

Not sayin their bad tires. However, Toyo's don't prematurely do that.

Now the XRV tire is an entirely different animal when compared to Mich truck tire line. They have a thinner more flexible sidewall and are a lighter weight casing. Usually chassis builders OEM tire.
Prone to sidewall zipper tear blowouts on the heavier coaches.

Most all Class As run "steers all the way around". You don't want the noise and hash ride of lug tread drive truck tires.
Please Read one more Time
as I mentioned- The Michelin XZA 3 Plus Tires Are far more superior and no side wall cracking History at all !!! Read Before You Comment !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Please Read one more Time
as I mentioned- The Michelin XZA 3 Plus Tires Are far more superior and no side wall cracking History at all !!! Read Before You Comment !
Just to be clear we 're talkin bout the MICHELIN® XZA3®+ EVERTREAD steer tires...right !
Which was introduced in June 2011.
I hope you didn't get the G LR tires.
So no one here should express a different opinion than you.... what was I thinkin
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Just to be clear we 're talkin bout the MICHELIN® XZA3®+ EVERTREAD steer tires...right !
Which was introduced in June 2011.
I hope you didn't get the G LR tires.
So no one here should express a different opinion than you.... what was I thinkin
Funny ! Lol !
I have the H LR tires on mine and Yes your opinion is always valued.
I did however call my Tire shop here in Indianapolis and He said he's never seen cracking issues with this tire.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #19

RV tires

Quote:
Good info Thanks

I noticed Michelin includes RV with Bus category and not Truck, even though we buy truck tires.
Michelin considers all tires that are 19.5", 22.5", and 24.5" wheel sizes as medium truck tires, to include truck, bus, and RV tires. Michelin publishes separate load/inflation tables so that the RV consumer can identify their axle end weight and set air pressure according to the heavier side.

The difference between "truck" tires and the Michelin XRV tire line is NOT in the tire casing thickness, but in two areas:
1. The starting tread depth on the XRV is less (XRV is 16/32" versus 18, 19, or 22/32" for truck tires) and
2. Sidewall rubber agents are added to the XRV to combat ozone cracking, The sidewalls aren't "softer" - they all have radial steel casings for strength and durability.

There are Michelin tires on Class B and C that fall under the Passenger and Light Truck tire warranty, and they have separate warranties for original equipment tires and replacement tires.
Link:
https://www.michelinman.com/warranty.html

On another note, the XZA3+ tire has been replaced by the Michelin X Line Energy Z. The tread design is identical, but the new tire is more fuel efficient.

Sidewall cracking can occur on any tire that sits more than it drives. The best advice to protect tires from sidewall cracking is to drive the motorhome and heat the tires up, at least one hour every 30 days … this probably helps out the battery and rubber hoses, too.
PatriciaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
As noted above, I'd check out Toyo. My Michelins XZA2s cracked at five and a half years....over rated and over priced.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
michelin, tires