Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

Is this a reasonable price for Michelin X multi Z tires?

I am note to all this so please be patient with me. 2 questions:
1) I need to replace the tires on our new to us 2005 Monoco Cheetah 40ft DP. It currently has original Goodyear G670 275-70R 22.5 tires that do nto show a lot of wear or cracking but are aged out. To keep DW happy the search is limited to Goodyear and Michelin and so now I am looking at 6 Michelin X multi Z 275/70R 22.5 installed locally for $4k all in, including new ss valve stems and spin balancing. Is this a good price? In all my research to date there is a lot of reference to the FMCA program but I cn not find an comparison for price without buying the membership first (kind of annoying). Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to go on the road until I get the tires changed.

2)I have read mixed reviews concerning getting (the need for) a front end alignment. The current tires do not show wear associated with alignment issues. Should I get a alignment first or wait until after the new tires are installed? Tires are local but for the alignment I need to travel several 100 miles. FYI - this bus is builf on a R4R-A Roadmaster chassis.
NOLAfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2019, 03:33 PM   #2

I found out these were made 20/18 so already 18 months old. Should I take a pass?
Old 10-31-2019, 07:31 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I would look for newer ones.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:35 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I would shop Toyo's. Did a larger size for $2800 out the door, spin balance and stems. But keep the DW happy. Why align if no indication your out of alignment. Course if it makes you feel better...

Somebody got their $$ out of those, if in fact they are "original" 15 year old tires.....
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:33 AM   #5
DJJ

I saved about $400 on a set of Michelins by joining FMCA 2 years ago. Same size $3400, spin balance, new valve stems. The manager of the tire shop directed me to FMCA, said that was the least expensive way they could replace the Michelins.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #6

WOW, Original tires. I think the $4000 is a bit high, but that will look like a bargain if you're on the road when one of those tires goes. I'd look around at the big truck stops and see where the truckers are buying tires. Plan on replacement at 7 years not on tread wear. I know, it hurts but you'll never put on the miles those truckers do. If you want to compare prices check simpletire.com. They have both the brands you want as well as others. You have to find you own mount and balance shop unless they have a referral shop you can use. I'd guess at least $100/tire to mount and balance. Many of us trailer hauler types have gone to Sailuns with good success. I see lots of Toyos on big rigs. Survey the truck stops to see what they run. I'd also consider TPMS especially on that inside dual. I don't align without symptoms. In reality you'll probably also time out before rotating would be a benefit.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #7

DJJ, Did you go to the dealer first or contact FMCA and they directed you to a dealer? I looked at Michelin Commercial Tire dealer locator and there was only one dealer list
ed within 50 miles.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #8

MtCamper; actually I found the XMZs in question at a TA truck stop near me but again they are 18+ months from the manufacture date.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
18 months is 20% of the 7.5-year life of the tire. How do they feel about a 20% discount to take these old tires off their hands now and cut their losses? Otherwise, I got 4 month old tires from a high volume dealer online called SimpleTire.com. High volume is the key to new tires. Keeping DW happy keeps everyone happy, but I love my Hercules tires at about half the price of Michs and GYs.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:59 AM   #10
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAfolks View Post
DJJ, Did you go to the dealer first or contact FMCA and they directed you to a dealer? I looked at Michelin Commercial Tire dealer locator and there was only one dealer list
ed within 50 miles.

Yes, I went to Boulevard Tire as they were listed by Michelin as a truck tire dealer (I'm in SW FL). The manager recommended I stay with the Michelins and the least expensive way was to use the FMCA tire program.

I have trust issues and that's why I drove to the tire shop to check them out and get a feel if I felt comfortable letting them work on the RV.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:32 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
My Old Eagle is on it's 4th set of Michelins, The 3rd set developed the infamous sidewall Cracking that was limited to the XRV series. My Tire Shop Recommended a newer series Steer Tire all the way around.
Best choice I have made regarding tires -MICHELIN XZA3 Plus Steer and they are Directional. 275/80 R 22.5
Absolutely the Best Ride and Handling Ever.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:13 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Michelin Advantage Program via FMCA is right at 10% off retail on the tires themselves. I put XRV tires that are a tad smaller than yours (f53 gas chassis) in May:

Six, Michelin 235 80R 22.5 XRV. $2,780.76 tires after FMCA (Michelin Advantage) discount
(incl. FET & Florida sales tax); $654.84 R&R, balance & disposal; $148 new valve stems
from Borge including special ones for the duallies so no leaky extensions anywhere. Total
$3,583.60. Kept one of the old ones as a spare as soon as I figure out how to carry it.
Note, get the Borge valve stems. To not have leaky extensions is well worth it in my
opinion. Also, don't forget to get the lug nuts re-torqued after about 50 miles. My dealer did
not charge extra for that.
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:23 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
My Old Eagle is on it's 4th set of Michelins, The 3rd set developed the infamous sidewall Cracking that was limited to the XRV series. My Tire Shop Recommended a newer series Steer Tire all the way around.
Best choice I have made regarding tires -MICHELIN XZA3 Plus Steer and they are Directional. 275/80 R 22.5
Absolutely the Best Ride and Handling Ever.
Sorry but the sidewall crackin effects several other Mich line of tires including XZA2 & 3 as well. Do some searching, you'll see.

Not sayin their bad tires. However, Toyo's don't prematurely do that.

Now the XRV tire is an entirely different animal when compared to Mich truck tire line. They have a thinner more flexible sidewall and are a lighter weight casing. Usually chassis builders OEM tire.
Prone to sidewall zipper tear blowouts on the heavier coaches.

Most all Class As run "steers all the way around". You don't want the noise and hash ride of lug tread drive truck tires.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #14

Michelin Warranty- 7 years from date of purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAfolks View Post
MtCamper; actually I found the XMZs in question at a TA truck stop near me but again they are 18+ months from the manufacture date.

The Michelin truck tire warranty is 7 years from date of purchase/installation, not from DOT. They upgraded their warranty in 2016:

1. It went from 5 to 7 years from date of purchase (for new vehicles, the date of purchase is the registration date from when you bought it, so if you find a new RV with 18 month old tires, the warranty starts on the day you buy it).
2. The warranty used to say, "What is Not Covered: Ozone/Weather checking". This was removed in 2016, so if you are the original owner and your tires have ozone/sidewall cracking, your tires are still under warranty.

3. Instead of having an effective date of 6/1/2016, Michelin grandfathered the better warranty to all truck tires in the market.

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...k_Warranty.pdf

Hope that helps.
PatriciaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
michelin, tires