Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #1

Is this a typical summer trip?

We just got back from Topsail State Park near Destin Fl. About a 400 mile ride from Orlando. The trip was fun, lots of good beach time, lots of kids for our daughter to play with.

Problems started on the way up a week ago. Some dummy decided to start shooting at a trooper on I75 near Micanopy. Ended up shutting 75 down for hours. We were stuck in traffic for 7 hours (it's great being self contained when stuck in traffic as long as you have a full load of fuel). Ended up getting to Destin around 10:30, tracing for miles on unfamiliar roads under construction. Sure wish we'd found a place to spend the night. Got to the campground and eventually got to our site. Was great to just plug in and hit the sack.

The week went well and we hit the road this morning. First thing out of the park we hit heavy traffic from all the tourists leaving on the roads under construction. Once we hit I-10 I thought I'd stop at the first rest stop to check my toad and tow dolly. Just as I hit the exit ramp we heard a really strange noise. Thought it was coming from under the dash. As soon as I stopped and got out I saw the tire on my EZ Tow dolly was gone. Nothing but a tiny donut of rubber left. The rim was pretty ground up too. Fortunately I had a spare. Had to take the car down, couldn't get the jack under the dolly. Changed the tire, hit the road again (sure was nice to be able to rinse off in the shower). About an hour from home we heard a loud crack on the windshield. A stone or something had kicked up and put a nice chip in my windshield. Hope I can get it filled, don't look forward to getting that giant single piece gLass replaced.

So 7 hour traffic jam, blown dolly tire and topped off with a chip in my windshield. Not sure I'm up to all this relaxing

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Sometimes that's just the way it is... But not always. You might be able to get the windshield repaired...
Coulda' been worse...

LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #3

From your description, I thought you had been traveling on the Trans Canada Highway here in B.C.
Head on collision between a car and a tour bus. Highway shut down for 8+ hrs. Long Weekend here in B.C. so the traffic tie-up was huge. One fatality and 40+ transported to hospital.
Before I retired and since , I won't leave the house on a holiday weekend , if I am away from home, I find a site , Thursday night and stay put till Tuesday morning.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:33 PM   #4

....and then the shower door opened and pulled itself apart, ut the water heater worked the whole trip......
Yup, standard trip!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #5

I can never understand them shutting down a major hiway for hours for any reason. Take your photos and measurements and get the hiway back open...
Old 08-02-2015, 05:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I can never understand them shutting down a major hiway for hours for any reason. Take your photos and measurements and get the hiway back open...
At the time neither could we. The guy shot at a trooper and ran into the woods right near the only exit for miles. He ended up either committing suicide or being killed by police so the highway became a homicide scene. I get it, but you have to assume stopping traffic like that put many other people in a potentially life threatening situation
Old 08-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #7

I know just about everyone goes to Florida for vacation.

But I never knew that Floridians also went to Florida on vacation.

Next time, come to the North GA Mountains.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
A week ago we got behind an accident on a state hyway. First it will be closed an hour, then another hour, then another two three hours. We uncooked the towed the turned around, no EZ task for RVs and Semi's on a secondary road. Then on to home. No other problems, sounds like you got your three in a row all at once rather than one at a time, I've had them all but one at a time. Three in a row is theold saying " Bad things happen in three' s".

LEN
Old 08-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post

Personally, I blame lawyers, if for any reason an accident case ends up in court, then the police team's investigation is questioned 16 different ways from last Tuesday, and if for any reason they can't provide definitive answers to every question, charges can be dropped due to lack of evidence. So on scene the police need to anticipate every question and dot their I's and cross there T's two and three times, before anything that could be construed as evidence is disturbed.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
So 7 hour traffic jam, blown dolly tire and topped off with a chip in my windshield. Not sure I'm up to all this relaxing
Unfortunately , as you go through decades of trips, the un-eventful ones will become a blur , and this one will stand out in your mind, because you remember each and every detail.
Not that it's a particularly good thing, it's just the way our minds work.
Remember the Labor Day weekend when it snowed at the horseshoe tournament and we were wearing gloves and had a fire going at each pit to keep warm , and if you missed the pit , you had to rake through the snow to find the shoe. Of course you do!
Old 08-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #11

You may have done this already, but if you haven't, put a sizable piece of clear packing tape over that chip to keep it clean until you can get it fixed. Insist on pressurized resin from whomever does it.

Don
Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #12

Sounds like you had a bonus day. Just think of all the 4 wheelers who had the same problem but no house to use while sitting. ;-)

FWIW If you ever watch an accident from beginning to end it takes a while to get the bodies out and transported, get the pictures and measurements and load the trash. There really is not room to drive through that unless there are 3 lanes to play with.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #13

Let this be a lesson......NEVER let the fuel tank get too low and always carry enough water for one day.

Other than that......if everything went smoothly, you'd forget about the trip. It's only the journeys that test you that are remembered for years. Laugh often and most importantly laugh at the situation.

Happy Trails
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
From your description, I thought you had been traveling on the Trans Canada Highway here in B.C.
Head on collision between a car and a tour bus. Highway shut down for 8+ hrs. Long Weekend here in B.C. so the traffic tie-up was huge. One fatality and 40+ transported to hospital.
Before I retired and since , I won't leave the house on a holiday weekend , if I am away from home, I find a site , Thursday night and stay put till Tuesday morning.
I hear you. We are just soaking up the sun in Castlegar for a week, doing some fishing (or trying at least )