Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Is this motor home abandoned ?

There has been a Royal Coach by Provost, fairly new, and in great condition,parked partially off the road and partially diagnally on the sidewalk just past my driveway since sometime early yesterday, Sunday Sept. 21st. What strikes me as odd, is that during a time when there is torrential rains, the windows are open all around and there are no road warning triangles put out. Also odd, there has been no sign of anyone around and it is the second day. Looks like they coasted in there with no power. As a recent owner of a class A, I cannot imagine someone just leaving it that way. Has Montana plates and a FMCA plaque on it, # 431924. It has been over 24 hours now and no sign of anyone.
perhaps I am just overly suspicious, but I could never walk away from mine. Reach me on my email.
Free Bird, in SW Florida

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmm

What's the statue of limitation before you can claim it.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not trying to over react, you may want to call the police to do a check. The people may inside and need help.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Yes! call the Police to take a look and keep Us posted as to what is up!
Old 09-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Not my luck, it's gorgeous, who would just walk away?
Old 09-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Call the police!

They may have it on their stolen vehicle list.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #7

Just curious- Why would you take the time to post to an internet bulletin board rather than picking up the phone and calling the police department ?
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

FYI, F431924 is not a currently valid FMCA number.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #9

I'm # 6. Call the police.

Russell
Old 09-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I fully agree if it is parked as you cite. PARTIALLY off the road.. Call the police and report it as suspected abandoned and partially ON the road.

They will send someone by (low priority so it could take a while) and most likely tag it.. Then later (Often 24 hours but it may be several days) they will call a tow truck....

now... If it is partially on YOUR property.... They may suggest YOU call the tow truck...

As for how long before you can lay claim.. That is Legal advice, and since the answer varies depending on where you live.. You are going to need to ask a professional... IF the police determine it is abandoned.. The city/county attorney is the professional you already have on retainer for this kind of advice.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Police ride by all the time, assumed they would have checked it out, but began to bug me.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I fully agree if it is parked as you cite. PARTIALLY off the road.. Call the police and report it as suspected abandoned and partially ON the road.

They will send someone by (low priority so it could take a while) and most likely tag it.. Then later (Often 24 hours but it may be several days) they will call a tow truck....

now... If it is partially on YOUR property.... They may suggest YOU call the tow truck...

As for how long before you can lay claim.. That is Legal advice, and since the answer varies depending on where you live.. You are going to need to ask a professional... IF the police determine it is abandoned.. The city/county attorney is the professional you already have on retainer for this kind of advice.

My guess is that the vehicle is on State, County, and/or City ROW. I wouldn't expect that any private citizen can lay claim to an abandoned vehicle that isn't on their property.

Also, if vehicle is on your property, you have to give ample notice by placing Notice on the vehicle giving X number of days to move it. If no response, you need to get the DMV involved for a new title (which often involves tracing license back to owner, sending registered letter to him, placing two ads in the local newspaper.

It isn't exactly a, "Finders Keepers", kind of thing (thankfully).
Old 09-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #13

Call the Police, even though they have driven by they probably think it's yours or someone staying at your house. If it is off the main road or parked odd on a street that is not used much, they probably won't look into it.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Problem resolved, I think. Police came and now it is parked on grass adjacent to a house that someone from Michigan just bought. Mystery, why would they not park off the road to begin with, or at least near the house and not 100 yards past it, no one is inside it. Sorry for the false alarm, I though someone on this site would be member of FMCA and contact owner.