Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
PBG

Is This The Needed Wakeup Call For The Motorhome Industry?

I've been shopping for my first motorhome for quite a few months and enjoy participating in the various threads here and reading just about anything I can get my hands on that is motorhome related. I also subscribe to a few email lists that pertain to the motorhome industry.

Honestly, most of the blogs I read pertain to a growing and bustling RV industry, so imagine my surprise when I opened up a newsletter today and read that someone is finally addressing the problems that so many on this site have reported.

Yes, the lack of Quality Control is the number one issue that we as consumers face with today's motorhomes and finally someone is addressing the elephant in the room. I hope the Admin feel it's okay to post this link as it's something that could benefit all of us.

Opinion: The RV industry death spiral – Part 1 | RV Daily Report

Allow me to add that I am in no way affiliated with this publication and I'm simply a subscriber.
PBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #2

Just read the stories on the site. Hopefully you can get more RVr's to read this. Thanks!
precept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

Seems to me pretty much like the car industry until the Japanese came or the Cell phone industry until Apple came in. Every one knew what was wrong but no one did anything about it. It took new players to shake things up and do the obvious, which is now expected.

The RV industry needs a new player that make affordable solid and reliable RV's. Where is the Toyota of RV's?
Old 07-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is no reason for the industry to change as long as the players are satisfied with their profits.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG View Post
I've been shopping for my first motorhome for quite a few months and enjoy participating in the various threads here and reading just about anything I can get my hands on that is motorhome related. I also subscribe to a few email lists that pertain to the motorhome industry.

Honestly, most of the blogs I read pertain to a growing and bustling RV industry, so imagine my surprise when I opened up a newsletter today and read that someone is finally addressing the problems that so many on this site have reported.

Yes, the lack of Quality Control is the number one issue that we as consumers face with today's motorhomes and finally someone is addressing the elephant in the room. I hope the Admin feel it's okay to post this link as it's something that could benefit all of us.

P
Opinion: The RV industry death spiral – Part 1 | RV Daily Report

Allow me to add that I am in no way affiliated with this publication and I'm simply a subscriber.
Great article will continue to follow this. Regards
Old 07-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post

The RV industry needs a new player that make affordable solid and reliable RV's. Where is the Toyota of RV's?

They may have one now. Thor has purchased the ultimate opportunity.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #7

Deaf ears.........

Same op-ed could have been written 10 years ago and been just as current.

Only thing these articles will accomplish is making 'author' feel good, increase his subscription base and allow him to thump his chest "Look at me"

He brings nothing new to table.......
Consumers have been vocal for years.
MFGs don't care cause 'units' continue going out the door
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Well I passed on the link to friends of mine and hope that the info will stir up the industry.

We as individuals can only do so much and with a growing industry the monopoly that Thor and Winnibago have is there any thing that we ,as users, can do.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #9

It's too bad that Honda put so much effort into their robot and jet plane. If they had built an affordable quality RV product instead, the industry would be quite different by now.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #10

A lot of it our fault. We keep buying crap knowing it is crap, but it is the only crap around. How about no one buys a new RV for 5 years. But that will not work because we want our shiny new toys even though they are crap. my $.02.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #11
PBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Deaf ears.........

Same op-ed could have been written 10 years ago and been just as current.

Only thing these articles will accomplish is making 'author' feel good, increase his subscription base and allow him to thump his chest "Look at me"

He brings nothing new to table.......
Consumers have been vocal for years.
MFGs don't care cause 'units' continue going out the door
The difference is that today there's social media and Facebook. Yes, us little guys have a voice.
PBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have stopped buying!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
A lot of it our fault. We keep buying crap knowing it is crap, but it is the only crap around. How about no one buys a new RV for 5 years. But that will not work because we want our shiny new toys even though they are crap. my $.02.

This!
Old 07-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have stopped buying!
You must be one of the few who did. 2016 has been the best year for RV sales yet. Over 381,000 so far this year. Excellent sales are expected to continue into 2017.
Sadly, styling and advertising hype apparently sells more RV than quality ever will.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome